25.5 C
Cagayan de Oro
Monday, October 2, 2023
HomeAdvertisementsCDO Water District need Php1.9 Billion for modernization

CDO Water District need Php1.9 Billion for modernization

By Ercel Maandig

Cagayan de Oro-The Cagayan de Oro Water District (COWD) on Monday afternoon appeared in City Council’s regular session after the latter requested the new Manager to explain before the members about the clamor of city residents asking a quality services for the consumers.

This city’s household experienced an inconvenience of slow water problem for the past two weeks already.

COWD General Manager Engr.Antonio B. Young explained before the council members that usually the slow water will be experienced every morning because its a peak hour where many households will used water.

Due to these numerous complaints from the consumers posted in the social media, the COWD Board of Directors immediately hold a conference to modernized its facilities and it come out that they needed Php1.9 Billion for the modernization program,said Nelia Lee the chairperson of the water district.

Young said that they don’t have enough funds for the said rehabilitation that’s why it come out for the suggestions from the Board Members to have a rate increase in order to cope up the needed amount for modernization but majority of the members of the city council opposed for the idea.

In her part, City Councilor Girlie Balaba said that it’s injustice for the consumer that they’re the one who shoulder for the purpose.”Cagayan de Oro Water District already exist in the city for already 50 years and it’s unreasonable that they don’t have enough fund for the modernization”,Balaba said.

Meanwhile, City Council’s Majority Floor Leader Edgardo Cabanlas proposed for a Water District privatization while City Councilor George Goking suggested for a loan from government bank institutions or to Local Water Utility Administration (LWUA).

Young however said that they will provide additional lines to immediately address the issue temporarily but modernization is the real deal.

Meanwhile,City Councilor Rustico Ian Achas reported that his village which is Barangay Puerto has only 40% ample supply of potable water while the remaining 60% didn’t served by the water district.


COWD has its partner bulk water contractor COBI or Cagayan de Oro Bulk Water Incorporated that supplies 80,000 cubic meters of water everyday.

In a Media interview,Young assured the consuming public that they are capable for a modernization project considering that they have billions of pesos in asset but they have to study further that their asset threshold will not affected that’s why privatization is the most possibility.

- Advertisment -spot_imgspot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments