breaking news

SMC gets 85.7 percent ownership of Holcim Philippines for $2.2B 

May 10, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO (MDN digital, May 9) - San Miguel Corporation (SMC), one of the largest conglomerates of businesses in the country has recently bagged a deal to acquire 85.7 percent ownership of Holcim Philippines. The acquisition was reported to be around 2.2 billion dollars according to a very reliable source. SMC has been reported to have won an auction against Anhui Conch, identified in mainland China as the largest cement manufacturer in the final round. SMC's acquisition of Holcim Philippines will be completed using one of its subsidiaries that is under SMC. Meanwhile Eagle Cement Corp, reports said, has originally thought as in the forefront of actually running Holcim Philippines but later learned it's not part of the deal.   Earlier, there were reports that San Miguel Corporation has informed its bankers to make some preparations such as credit line to the tune of $2.1 billion and $2.3 billion.  It was learned though that Holcim Philippines was sold to the highest interested bidder as part of the company's rationalization program. The said decsion to sell 85.7 percent ownership to San Miguel was based on the decision of its parent multinational conglomerate in Switzerland - the LafargeHolcim. (JCE/MDN digital)  

READ MORE
Oca lawyer brands as fake document purporting Moreno disqualification

May 10, 2019

THE lawyer of reelectionist Mayor Oscar Moreno branded as fake news a document circulating online that his client has been disqualified to run in the midterm elections this Monday. In a press conference this evening, lawyer Dale Mordeno said the document is fake since it bears actual signatures from the promulgating Commission on Elections (Comelec) commissioners even though it is just a copy for a party to the case. "Only the copy for the official record of the Comelec division promulgating the case bears actual signatures. The rest are only indicated as originally signed," Mordeno said. The purported document bears the signatures of Comelec 2nd Division commissioners Luie Tito Guia, Socorro Inting and Antonio Kho. It alleged that Moreno was disqualified based on the complaint filed by former Taglimao barangay chairman William Guialani. The six-page document was stamped May 1, 2019. Commenting on this, Mordeno said it is highly unusual for Comelec to promulgate that day since it is Labor Day, a holiday.

READ MORE
Nadya replaces Dongkoy as Oro vice mayoral bet

May 9, 2019

IN an emotional speech Thursday (May 9), Cagayan de Oro City Councilor Nadya Emano-Elipe announced her candidacy to replace the vice mayoral candidacy of the late Mayor Vicente Emano who died Tuesday. The councilor's brother, Misamis Oriental Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano, made the announcement Thursday morning at the family's ancestral residence in barangay Gusa. Breaking through tears, Gov. Emano said Nadya is the most exemplary person to emulate the brand of quality governance that their late father has executed in his decades of service as a local official. The announcement ended two days of speculation on whom to replace the family patriarch who died suddenly on Tuesday of pneumonia. Also teary-eyed, Emano-Elipe accepted her family's endorsement and vowed to follow the footsteps of her father as close as possible. Emano-Elipe had been actively campaigning in behalf of her father in the past months. The lawyer by profession is not a newbie in politics. She is on her third and last term as councilor in Cagayan de Oro City. She is married to President Elipe, a provincial board member in Misamis Oriental. In rallying the Kagay-anons, Gov. Emano has nothing but kind words for his sister. "Let your vote for Nadya be not a vote for sympathy. Let it be a vote that you believe in her capability as vice mayor in this beloved city of Cagayan de Oro," he said.

READ MORE
Former Cagayan de Oro Mayor Dongkoy Emano dies at 76

May 7, 2019

BREAKING NEWS! CAGAYAN DE ORO (MDN digital, May 7, 7:30AM) - This may sound unbelievable to city residents of Cagayan de Oro but former city mayor Vicente "Dongkoy" Emano died today of pneumonia illness. Over a local radio station Magnum Radio anchored by Manny Agustero, Misamis Oriental incumbent Governor Yevgeny Vincente "Bambi" Emano has confirmed the death of his father at around 12:28 this morning (May 7) The governor said his father's remains will be cremated today and his urn will be brought at their residence in Barangay Gusa, this city. Bambi said his father's urn will stay for three days at their residence and then buried in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental, the hometown of the Emano family, and where Dongkoy Emano's political career also started several decades ago. video credit to GMANews-OneMindanao Here's how we will remember the awesome voice of the Peacemaker.   

READ MORE
City Mayor ‘Dongkoy’ Emano, 76, dies of Pneumonia

May 7, 2019

Former Cagayan De Oro City Mayor Vicente “Dongkoy” Emano, 76, died of Pneumonia, 12:28 Tuesday morning (May 7, 2019). His body is cremated and the wake is held in his residence at Santa Cecilia Village in Gusa, Cagayan De Oro City. Emano, the founding father of Padayon Pilipino, the accredited regional political party, served as Governor of Misamis Oriental in 1986 until 1995. He was elected City Mayor of Cagayan De Oro in 1998 until 2007. In 2007, Emano was elected and served as Vice Mayor of Cagayan De Oro City until 2010. In 2010 he was again elected and served as City Mayor of Cagayan De Oro until 2013. Emano filed his certificate of candidacy as Vice Mayor in Cagayan De Oro City on May 13, 2019 under the coalition political party of the Padayon Pilipino and the Centrist Democratic Party. The tribal community in Northern Mindanao, conferred the tribal title as “Datu Pilipino” because of his closeness to the indigenous people and the less fortunate. Emano is survived by his wife Alona and children Bambi, Trixia, and Nadia. Incumbent Misamis Oriental Governor Yevgeny Vincente “Bambi” Emano, the family spokesperson, said that the wake of his father will last for three days. 

READ MORE
Fire razes Councilor Goking's home in Carmen

May 7, 2019

BREAKING NEWS ! CAGAYAN DE ORO (MDN digital, May 7, 7:10 PM) - A fire of still unknown origin razed the second floor of the ancestral house of City Councilor George Goking along Vamenta Boulevard in Barangay Carmen, this city. Firefighters from the Bureau of Fire Protection immediately dispatched their firefighting units to stop the fire from spreading further but due to the old nature of the house, the fire easily burned the residence of Councilor George Goking at the second floor.  Luckily, the ground floor of the building rented by Cepalco was spared from burning but considered badly damaged by the bulk of water from the fire fighting units. Cepalco personnel also came and retrieved some vital documents they can get. Councilor George Goking said he was shocked that the fire suddenly engulfed the second floor so he has nothing to do but to run outside for his safety. His siblings were also safe. "Back to zero gyud ta ani kay wala tay nadala nga mga gamit kay kalit kaayo ang pagdako sa kalayo," Goking told reporters in vernacular. Goking said the house was dilapidated and already 33 years old. "Pero na rewire naman na," he claimed.  The Road and Traffic Administration immediately closed Vamenta Boulevard to give way to the responding fire fighters from the different groups such as Del Monte Philippines, Chinese firefighting brigade and other private fire fighting groups to easily penetrate the fire scene. The Bureau of Fire has initially put the damage to property to 1 Million Pesos.  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.