QUEZON CITY, Sep. 22 – The primary objective of the massive rehabilitation of war-torn Marawi City is to establish a resilient Islamic City that is a “catalyst for growth and development.”
Thus, declared Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Chairman Secretary Eduardo Del Rosario during an online press briefing with Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque on Monday.
Apart from rebuilding public infrastructure destroyed during the five-month siege in 2017, Secretary Del Rosario, who also heads the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development, stressed that the main objective of the government is to make Marawi as a platform to promote economic growth as well as establish efficient governance and peaceful environment.
“Our main objective in the Marawi rehabilitation is to make it a catalyst for growth and sustainable development, establish good governance and have a peaceful environment, even beyond the rehabilitation,” the TFBM chief stated during the press briefing.
Secretary Del Rosario highlighted the ongoing and completed infrastructure projects led by the TFBM and its 56 implementing agencies in both Marawi’s Less Affected Area (LAA) and Most Affected Area (MAA), reiterating that these will be completed by December 2021.
He added the government has already released Php22.24 billion out of the Php60.5 billion indicative funding requirement for both LAA and MAA projects. Secretary Del Rosario said that the government, through the TFBM, did not cease in implementing Marawi’s infrastructure projects despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
The housing czar also said that the TFBM and its implementing agencies are working tirelessly to fulfill their mandate of ensuring that Marawi will rise as a prosperous city again as promised by President Rodrigo Roa Duterte.
Construction works for public infrastructures went on full blast in July this year following the easing down of the quarantine period brought about by the COVID-19 contagion.
Aside from reconstruction works, economic activities had been on the rise in Marawi City three years after the siege as confirmed by the local government unit, contrary to speculations peddled by critics of the Duterte administration. (CVC/DHSUD)