CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – As coronavirus disease (covid-19) threatens another deadly onslaught in many parts of the country, the church’s top leaders in this city ordered the temporary closure of their churches yesterday (April 27) to give way for disinfection and clean up.
This, as some leaders of the Catholic church and its parishioners, are reportedly contracted with the deadly virus.
Earlier this month, the surge of coronavirus infections in the city has reached to an all time high of 54 cases, the biggest so far in a day, ever since the killer virus started wreaking havoc some two years ago, based on records released by local health authorities.
In a statement released to the media, Archbishop Jose Cabantan announced the closure of six churches in this city and in Misamis Oriental province. The closure will last for 10 days, more specifically from April 28 up to May 7.
Archbishop Cabantan said the churches include Jesus Nazareno Shrine and San Isidro Parish-Gusa in Cagayan de Oro. For Misamis Oriental, ordered closed are Lady of Candelaria parish in Tagoloan town, Immaculada Concepcion parish in Jasaan, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Bobuntugan, and Santa Cruz Parish in Laguindingan.
Cabantan also said “This is also our way of showing that we are one with the people, the government, and every other person or entity concerned with overcoming the spread of the virus of Covid-19.”
The Roman Catholic’s top leader confirmed in a statement that some of their priests have contracted the deadly virus and they are now being isolated in undisclosed locations to avoid contact with their parishioners.
Meanwhile, City Health Office, Dr. Joselito Teodulfo Retuya has again warned people of the city and visitors to strictly used their facemasks and face shields to avoid direct contact with the ‘killer virus
Just recently, former City Councilor MaryCor Calizo became a victim of the disease and succumbed to her untimely demise.
The incumbent members of the City Council in Cagayan de Oro have sympathized with the passing of the lady councilor as she becomes the latest victim of the second wave of deadly attacks perpetrated by its mother Covid-19 and 23 more variants – some of which has now reached the country, according to Filipino scientists and health expert at the University of the Philippine Genome Center.
Among those who openly expressed their sad reactions to the death of the lady councilor was incumbent city dad Zaldy Ocon.
“RIP Madz Mare Maricor Calizo (another victim of Covid-19) It’s terrible to hear about your loss and I express my sincere sympathy to you and your family,” Ocon said. – with PNA reports