27.2 C
Cagayan de Oro
Saturday, January 22, 2022
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
HomeFront PageRufus thanks Pres Duterte for the upcoming financial assistance to Oro residents...

Rufus thanks Pres Duterte for the upcoming financial assistance to Oro residents affected by the ‘lockdown’

MANILA – For his appeal to extend financial help (ayuda) to residents affected by the imposition of a’lockdown’ in Cagayan de Oro, Deputy Speaker Rufus Rodriguez on Thursday thanked President Rodrigo Duterte for confirming the national government’s assistance.

Two cities in Misamis Oriental Province in Northern Mindanao, as well as the province of Iloilo and its capital town Iloilo City were recently placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) due to the reported surge of covid-19 positive cases.

The National DOH and the IATF revealed that the decision to put the two cities under ECQ classification was aggravated by the detection of Delta variants (5 in CDO and 3 in Gingoog City).

“We thank the President for the financial assistance, which will tide our families in the city over the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) period. It would be a big help,” said Rodriguez, who represents the second district of Cagayan de Oro City in the lower chamber of Congress.

Earlier this week, Presidential Spokesperon Harry Roque announced that the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Gingoog, including Iloilo province and Iloilo City, will receive financial assistance of still undetermined amount, as these areas were placed under the strictest quarantine classification, from July 16-31.

Because of the strict lockdown restriction, Rodriguez said residents are asked to stay in their homes to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) and its highly contagious Delta variant.

“They are not able to go out to work. They thus have no income. They are counting on the government to help them,” the lawmaker said.

In a statement, MDNN learned that upon Rodriguez’s request, an IATF team, led by Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and National Task Force Against Covid-19 chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez, visited the city.

Galvez also sent to Cagayan de Oro 20,550 vials of Johnson & Johnson vaccine that was donated by the United States.

Roque said the national government, through the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), shall provide augmentation support to local government units (LGUs) adversely affected by the latest imposition of ECQ.

He also encouraged residents in ECQ areas to continue observing strict health protocols to protect them against the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

He likewise renewed his call on everyone to get vaccinated against Covid-19, once supply and schedule date become available to enable the country to beat the coronavirus.

“We call on everyone to cooperate and strictly adhere to the minimum public health standards, such as wearing of face masks or shields, handwashing, and social distancing,” Roque said. (PNA)

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -spot_imgspot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments