28.3 C
Cagayan de Oro
Monday, June 27, 2022
spot_img
HomeFront PageBreaking NewsProsecutor drops libel case vs Ocon for lack of evidence

Prosecutor drops libel case vs Ocon for lack of evidence

BY JOEL CALAMBA ESCOL, Managing Editor

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – The City Prosecutors Office has dropped the libel case filed against radio commentator and City Councilor Zaldy Ocon, for lack of evidence.

The libel case was in relation to the alleged revelation of Councilor Ocon over Magnum Radio and Strong Radio that First District Representative Rolando “Klarex” Uy is included in the alleged list of drug lords in Northern Mindanao.

It was filed by the National Bureau of Investigation and a certain Julie Candia on November 16th and 17th last year. Candia acted as a concerned citizen and as the main complainant of the libel case.

In its 2-page decision which was posted by Ocon on Facebook today, March 30, 2022, the City Prosecutor’s Office clarified that to be liable for libel, the following elements must be present (1) imputation of a crime, vice or defect, real or imaginary, or any act omissions, condition status or circumstance. (2) publicity or publication (3) malice, (4) direction of such imputation as a natural or juridical person, and (5) tendency to cause the dishonor, discredit or contempt of the person defamed.

The decision further stated that in said complaint by a certain Julie Candia and the NBI, the elements are not all sufficiently shown to be present.

The complainant, the decision reiterated further, has failed to establish probable cause. It did not also submit the transcript and translation of the entire broadcast at said radio stations.

According to Ocon, this is now the 32nd libel filed against him which was dismissed by the court for insufficient evidence.

The promulgation was signed by Alfonso Vicente Jr, senior assistant city prosecutor; Rhandy Ilisan, Senior Assistant City Prosecutor; Omar Sharief Naga, assistant  city prosecutor and duly approved by City Prosecutor Charisse Galarrita-Bitoon, it was learned.

The decision by the City Prosecutor’s Office was furnished to Atty. Nasib Yasin Jr, NBI; Julie Candia and Zaldy Ocon.

Joel Escolhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK_sKdGFs0ewIh9R-iAskDg
Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist in the Philippines for more than 20 years. Currently, he is the Managing Editor of Mindanao Daily News, the biggest and most-widely read newspaper in Southern Philippines. He is also known as Noypi Vlogger in Youtube. You can follow him on the following social networking sites below.
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -spot_imgspot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments