30 C
Cagayan de Oro
Saturday, July 2, 2022
spot_img
HomeThe RegionNorthern MindanaoNo measles outbreak in Oro, says health exec

No measles outbreak in Oro, says health exec

This, even as the number of cases in children affected by measles doubled as compared to its data in the previous year.

Dr Fe Bongcas of the city health office revealed this during a meeting of a special committee on health and sanitation chaired by City Councilor Maria Lourdes Gaane.

The committee conducted this special meeting to confirm from city health officials the status of children infected with measles.

“It is not really an outbreak but we should be vigilant,” thus confirmed the city health official, adding that the figure has doubled this year from 40 cases in 2018 – to 75 measles cases this year.

Based on statistics of the City Health Office 75 cases of measles were recorded from January 1 to February 13 in Cagayan de Oro, this year. She said this has doubled compared to last year, which had only 40 cases.

Meanwhile, measles outbreak was already declared in administrative regions in Visayas and Luzon. The outbreak was attributed to the lowered vaccination rates due to many parents who did not allow their babies vaccinated for fear of Dengvaxia.

Of the 75 cases, there were five reported deaths in barangays Macanhan, Balulang, Cugman, Dansolihon and Mambuaya. However, she said these are “suspected cases,” which have to be tested and confirmed.

“These cases are expected kay katong mga mothers nga wala nagpainject sa ilang children because of fear of dengvaxia (These cases are expected to those mothers who did not let their children injected because of fear of dengvaxia),” she cited.

Bongcas said out of the 20,000 children subject for immunization, 95-percent have been fully-immunized.

The remaining five-percent, or about 1,000 children, composed of those who have not been vaccinated and 15-percent of those vaccinated but with failure, are expected to have measles, she said.

 

Joel Escolhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK_sKdGFs0ewIh9R-iAskDg
Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist in the Philippines for more than 20 years. Currently, he is the Managing Editor of Mindanao Daily News, the biggest and most-widely read newspaper in Southern Philippines. He is also known as Noypi Vlogger in Youtube. You can follow him on the following social networking sites below.
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -spot_imgspot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments