barmm

Bangsamoro Gov’t names Peace Champion 2020

December 29, 2020

MARAWI CITY, Dec. 29 - The Bangsamoro Government, through its Ministry of Public Order and Safety (MPOS), named Esmael Usop Sema from Maguindanao as Bangsamoro Peace Champion 2020. MPOS Minister Hussien P. Muñoz awarded Sema a trophy, plaque of recognition and Php50,000 cash reward in a ceremony Monday, Dec. 28, in Cotabato City. Muñoz said the Bangsamoro Peace Champion 2020 is an annual program that aims to recognize the initiatives of peacebuilders and advocates, and to encourage them to continue their noble endeavors. He stressed that the program intends to acknowledge “exemplary individuals who dedicated their time and resources to peace efforts, initiatives and activities […] to contribute in developing, improving and strengthening the peace environment in their communities and areas within the Bangsamoro Region.” Sema saw that the community of Barangay Barurao in the town of Sultan Sa Barongis  faces various social issues such as lack of potable water, frequent flooding, unpaved roads, presence of lawless elements, and absence of a secondary school. These challenges, Sema noted, result in fewer opportunities of uplifting their lives. Considering their place in a depressed community, people could end up holding arms and engaging in conflicts as chances of education and lower income hover their lives. This year, Sema founded the Kaliyot B. Sali Peace Academy, Inc. to advocate peace through education and encourage the locality to attend schools. The school offers free education to its students, including free uniforms and other needed materials. He highlighted that education promotes peace and it can be one of the most powerful tools to reduce the tendency of people joining militancy and engaging in lawlessness. “Seeing the good feedback and results of your efforts, you will have more motivation in your peace advocacies,” Sema said. Four other peace advocates who “carry genuine and colorful flags of peace initiatives and efforts in their Bangsamoro communities” were also named as finalists for the awarding - Lo Ivan Castillon from Cotabato City, Joharie Kabugatan from Rajah Buayan, Maguindanao; Jamilnur Sarip from Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, and Sohaila Macadato from Cotabato City. The nominees underwent three rigid stages of selection screening and deliberation to ensure they imbibe the core values of being a Bangsamoro Peace Champion and the ministry's ambassador of peace in the region. (Bangsamoro Information Office)

READ MORE
Marawi IDPs benefit from BARMM’s new Sagip Kabuhayan Program

December 22, 2020

MARAWI CITY, – In its effort to provide socio-economic assistance to Marawi City’s home-based internally displaced persons (IDPs), the Bangsamoro Government has created Sagip Kabuhayan Program (SKP) under its P500-million funded Marawi Rehabilitation Program (MRP). The MRP, launched on October 26, covers all of the BARMM’s plans and actions for the city’s rehab, which are based on the approved committee report made by the Bangsamoro Transitions Authority’s (BTA) Special Committee on Marawi (SCM). During SKP’s initial pay-out on Friday, Dec. 11, Social Services Minister Raissa Jajurie and MRP Steering Committee Chairman and Deputy Chief Minister Ali Solaiman, along with some BTA members from the Ranaw region, led the house-to-house distribution of Php15,000.00 cash assistance to 185 IDP beneficiaries. The recipients were among the first batch of home-based IDPs from Marawi’s most affected area (MAA), who are solo parents, separated, and widows, earning Php5,000 and below per month. This criteria, however, only applies to the initial batch.  Other home-based IDPs, including out-of-school youth and persons with disabilities, shall be included in the next batches of beneficiaries, which will be validated by the MSSD and the MRP’s Program Steering Committee (PSC). Worth Php79-million, SKP is one of the initial projects of MSSD approved by PSC earlier in November. It provides seed capital or additional capital to small businesses owned by indigent families whose income were heavily affected by the coronavirus pandemic. “Itong programang ito (SKP) ay ang pagtugon ng MSSD noong nagkaroon ng Covid-19. We have to modify our programing sa gitna ng pandemya dahil nakita namin na bukod sa epekto po sa kalusugan ng tao, ang Covid-19 ay nagdulot din ng maraming economic na pagkukulang sa atin, marami ang nawalan ng trabaho at yung kita ay nawala,” said Jajurie. “Immediate needs po ang narerespondihan ng SKP. Ang disenyo po ng Bangsamoro Sagip Kabuhayan ay mabigyan ng kapital o dagdag kapital yung mga taong pwede namang kumita sa pamamagitan ng mga economic activities para hindi lamang relief goods ang ating natatamasa […] Mas mahabang panahon ninyo magagamit yung epekto ng BARMM interventions,” Jajurie added. The PSC has targeted over 3,290 beneficiaries for the SKP. Lanao del Sur’s Provincial Social Welfare Office will monitor the beneficiaries to ensure that cash assistance will be utilized properly. (BPI) Photo caption: (Left-Right) MP Marjanie Mimbantas, MRP Steering Committee Chairman and Deputy Chief Minister Ali Solaiman, and MP Raissa Jajurie led the distribution of Php15,000.00 cash assistance to 185 IDP beneficiaries in Marawi City on Dec. 11. (BPI)

READ MORE
Sikad drivers hit by Covid-19 crisis

November 27, 2020

LALA, Lanao del Norte - Mandated to take off-road due to modified enhanced community quarantine caused by the rising cases of Covid-19 in Barangay Maranding, sikad drivers were left with no choice but to ober the new normal rules imposed by national and local laws.  Cornelio Dela Cerna, 48, who has been cycling around the community since 1997 said that even before the transporation halt, he has not picked up enough passengers to reach his average quota he used to have pre-pandemic.  “Lisod uy, atong lockdown diri na gipapahuway mi ug biyahe lisod jud. Dako kaayong epekto sa among pankonsumo sa pamilya. Hinuon nakadawat mig ayuda ato 12 kilos na bugas, 1 kilo bulad, 1 kilo munggos, 2 ka lata na corned beef gikan sa barangay,” he shared.  He further expressed that the relief goods they received from the local government were budgeted to fit the span of the two-week rest.  “Gi budget jud namo ang ayuda kay 12 kilos ra gud unya sulod sa 14 days na wala mi biyahe, kailangan jud namo siyang iguon kay wala mi kita, wala mi pamalit ug pagkonsumo,” he said.  Nonetheless, he was still thankful for the assistance given to them and said that it was better than to receive nothing.  Wilson Villarin, 58, also shared the same sentiment as he complained about how the pandemic slashed off their everyday earning.  “Apiki jud among panginabuhi ron. Naubos jud ang among pagpanikad gumikan sa panahon sa pagsugod sa pandemya hantod karon, wala pajud kausaban kay wala pa man kaayo tawo na manggawas,” said Villarin while he was patiently waiting for passengers. Moreover, Gregorio Gimena, a sikad driver for 15 years mentioned that most drivers within the community usually have an earning of Php. 500 and above. But since the start of pandemic when passengers and transportations were discouraged to go out and operate, the income plunged down to Php. 200.    “Lahi sauna ang among pagbiyahe diri sa Maranding. Sauna makaabot pa mi ug Php. 500 ug kung tingsakay masobra pa. Karon mga nasa Php. 200 nalang kay mingaw pa ang tawo ron, hinay ang sakay,” he stated.  He further shared that he was more worried for the sikad drivers who have families to support because he himself who has none, could already feel the struggle caused by the pandemic.      On the lighter side, youth initiatives with the aim to help sikad drivers in Barangay Maranding are starting to kick off.   An initiative spearheaded by Nathanielle Keith Penaso, a nursing student from Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology will be opening a donation drive that will be accepting monetary and in-kind donations like clothing and groceries any time in December. She said that the drive is to support sikad drivers who are one of the people greatly affected by the crisis by giving them necessary groceries for the daily consumption. ###

READ MORE
Reconstruction of mosques in Marawi City commences

October 14, 2020

  The rebuilding of three mosques destroyed during the 2017 Marawi City siege will begin soon as Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) revealed that funding has already been released for their construction. “We (TFBM) already issued the checks for mobilization of the three contractors for the three mosques,” Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) Chief of Staff Zyril Carlos said during his recent visit to the Islamic City. “So it’s not just a Memorandum of Agreement. Now, it’s already a project,” the DHSUD chief of staff said. The DHSUD official visited Marawi to personally inspect the development of each project in Marawi’s Most Affected Area (MAA). After a thorough assessment of the sites, he assured that the rebuilding process remains well within the government’s December 2021 timeline despite heightened restrictions imposed within the city due to the Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine. “We are closely monitoring the progress to make sure that they are within the timetable,” Carlos stressed. DHSUD Secretary Eduardo Del Rosario, who leads the inter-agency TFBM, has continuously affirmed that the rehabilitation of the country’s only Islamic city remains on track and that it will be completed by December 2021 as promised by President Rodrigo Roa Duterte. Among the projects that will be rebuilt in Marawi’s MAA are the Masjid Darussalam in Barangay Raya Madaya, Masjid Disomangcop in Barangay Daguduban and the White Mosque in Barangay Lumbac Madaya. In August, Secretary Del Rosario spearheaded the signing of three Memorandums of Agreement (MOAs) that enabled the repairs of the three mosques using donated funds from private developers. It would be the first time that TFBM will be using donated funds from private developers intended for socialized housing development and rehabilitation of calamity-stricken areas like Marawi City. (DHSUD)  

READ MORE
Lanao del Sur COVID-19 infections hit record high in September

September 25, 2020

MARAWI CITY, Sep. 24 (PIA) - Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in Lanao del Sur is "on the uptrend with the highest number noted in September," according to Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) chief Dr. Alinader Minalang. Minalang said the province logged a total of 106 active cases out of the 555 confirmed positive cases as of September 23. "Ninety (90) percent (%) of the active cases are asymptomatic to mild while 10% are moderate to critical," he further said. Minalang added that Marawi City has the highest number of confirmed cases with 253, followed by Marantao (61), Malabang (20), Balindong (16), and Wao (15). Moreover, 70 or 66% of active cases are located in Marawi City while the other 36 or 34% are distributed in the 18 municipalities of Lanao del Sur. Meanwhile, 425 or 77% have recovered while 24 or 4% have expired as of September 23. In a virtual press briefing Wednesday, Minalang identified poor compliance to minimum health standards and behavioral issues such as lack of discipline, misconceptions, and misinformation as some of the possible reasons for the surge in cases. He reiterated his call to the public to observe and not take for granted the minimum health protocols. He said, "Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use 70% alcohol-based hand sanitizer; wear your face mask properly at all times especially when in public places; supplement with a face shield for additional protection to prevent the virus from entering your eyes, nose, or mouth; maintain at least 1.5 meters physical distance; and avoid crowded places where social distancing is not observed as well as social gatherings like weddings, parties, kanduri, among others." Minalang also reminded the public to stay away from fake news and to get the facts from health authorities only.   He further advised those experiencing fever, cough, colds, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, or have difficulty breathing to isolate from others and strictly observe minimum health standards. "Inform your doctor or any health worker immediately for a proper referral. Do not hide or deny your symptoms to protect yourself, your loved ones, and the community, he added. The IPHO chief emphasized that public cooperation and compliance to health protocols are necessary to control the spread of coronavirus infections and mitigate the catastrophic effects of the pandemic. (APB/PIA-ICIC)

READ MORE
Bangsamoro gov't urges youth orgs to undergo accreditation

September 24, 2020

MARAWI CITY, Sep. 23 —The Bangsamoro Government is urging youth-led and youth-serving organizations within the Bangsamoro region to apply for accreditation at the Bangsamoro Youth Commission (BYC). Accreditation at the BYC serves as the organizations' legal identity and will open opportunities for the youth organizations to engagements and participation in development-related programs of the Bangsamoro Government and other development partners. The accredited organizations may also become beneficiaries of BYC development programs and humanitarian assistance. The BYC has accredited more than 200 youth organizations since it has started its accreditation in 2016. Right now, more than 120 organizations are under review subject for BYC's approval. A writing workshop for these organizations is slated to develop their skills in technical writing, message development and delivery, data gathering and analysis, planning and prioritization, and scientific knowledge for administrative staff, among others. "The accreditation will pave the way to more empowered youth organizations and skilled youth leaders through their partnership with BYC-BARMM and other non-government and civil society organizations and partners," BYC Chairperson Marjanie Macasalong said. The Lakas Kabataan Tawi-Tawi, an accredited youth organization based in Bongao, Tawi-Tawi, was one of the 40 organizations in the province that benefitted from Lingkod Kabataang Bangsamoro, a Covid-19 response of the BYC to affected youth organizations. The humanitarian assistance has benefitted about 200 organizations across the region. The BYC and the Ministry of Social Services and Development (MSSD)-BARMM will also roll out livelihood assistance to youth organizations dubbed 'Alay Kabuhayan Kontra Covid-19'. The accreditation is among the priorities stated in the Bangsamoro Youth Transition Priority Agenda (BYTPA) 2020-2022. The BYTPA is the Bangsamoro Government’s youth development agenda “that addresses peculiar social context, considerations, and conditions as well as the pertinent needs and challenges confronting the Bangsamoro Youth.” BYTPA 2020-2022 was drafted by the BYC along with other regional line agencies and development partners.  Macasalong said the youth agenda adheres to the vision, mission, and framework of the National Youth Commission’s Medium Term Philippine Youth Development Plan. The priority agenda was officially adopted by the Bangsamoro Government on September 12 during the regional celebration of the International Youth Day 2020 in Cotabato City. "The collection of good baseline data is important to be able to prepare a comprehensive and data-based youth development plan," Macasalong added. Youth organizations that operate outside the region were also encouraged to accredit their organizations. The application for accreditation will run until October 30. (BPI)

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.