MARAWI CITY, Sep. 24 (PIA) - Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in Lanao del Sur is "on the uptrend with the highest number noted in September," according to Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) chief Dr. Alinader Minalang.
Minalang said the province logged a total of 106 active cases out of the 555 confirmed positive cases as of September 23.
"Ninety (90) percent (%) of the active cases are asymptomatic to mild while 10% are moderate to critical," he further said.
Minalang added that Marawi City has the highest number of confirmed cases with 253, followed by Marantao (61), Malabang (20), Balindong (16), and Wao (15).
Moreover, 70 or 66% of active cases are located in Marawi City while the other 36 or 34% are distributed in the 18 municipalities of Lanao del Sur.
Meanwhile, 425 or 77% have recovered while 24 or 4% have expired as of September 23.
In a virtual press briefing Wednesday, Minalang identified poor compliance to minimum health standards and behavioral issues such as lack of discipline, misconceptions, and misinformation as some of the possible reasons for the surge in cases.
He reiterated his call to the public to observe and not take for granted the minimum health protocols.
He said, "Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use 70% alcohol-based hand sanitizer; wear your face mask properly at all times especially when in public places; supplement with a face shield for additional protection to prevent the virus from entering your eyes, nose, or mouth; maintain at least 1.5 meters physical distance; and avoid crowded places where social distancing is not observed as well as social gatherings like weddings, parties, kanduri, among others."
Minalang also reminded the public to stay away from fake news and to get the facts from health authorities only.
He further advised those experiencing fever, cough, colds, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, or have difficulty breathing to isolate from others and strictly observe minimum health standards.
"Inform your doctor or any health worker immediately for a proper referral. Do not hide or deny your symptoms to protect yourself, your loved ones, and the community, he added.
The IPHO chief emphasized that public cooperation and compliance to health protocols are necessary to control the spread of coronavirus infections and mitigate the catastrophic effects of the pandemic. (APB/PIA-ICIC)
Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.