front page

MisOr braces versus Delta variant spread

July 26, 2021

MISAMIS ORIENTAL: Provincial Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano on Monday urged the provincial Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to mitigate the possible spread of Delta Variant virus in Misamis Oriental.   Emano said that the need to continually update the existing anti-COVID-19 procedures was necessary to defeat the spread of Delta Variant virus in the province.   A Delta variant virus was detected in one of the residents in Gingoog City, a component city of Misamis Oriental, but its spread was effectively contained, Emano said.   The governor said that loosening the watch against the dangerous and highly contagious Delta variant could provide a window for the virus to exponentially spread in Misamis Oriental.   Emano said that "we must prepare for the worst and urged the local government units in the provinces 23 towns and two cokponent cities to rally in supporting the fight against the spread of the Delta variant in the province."   Emano said that the increase in Delta variant cases could also be contained proactively through localized lockdowns, more restrictions to unvaccinated person, an active contact tracing.   He said that the capacity limits of business firms should be reduced and the curfew hours be adjusted to limit the movement of people, especially the adolescent and minors.    Health officials in Cagayan de Oro said on Monday that the Philippine Genome Institute (PGI) in Manila reported that the new cases of Delta variants in the city were 10 compared to five cases reported last week.   Dr. Joselito Retuya, the city epidemiologist, said that the Delta variant cases were found in the genome samples of patients who already recovered from COVID-19. For the last four days, the average daily admissions of COVID -19 positive cases in Cagayan de Oro City were 166 cases.   He said that the traces of Delta variants could be found only when the samples of COVID -19 positive patients were randomly analyzed by the PGI in Manila.   Retuya said that the latest statistics also revealed that most of the COVID -19 positive cases this week were patients less than 39-year- old. -0-

READ MORE
53 new soldiers on deep training in Sulu to replace fallen soldiers on ill-fated C-130 military plane

July 24, 2021

INDANAN, Sulu - In lieu of the fallen soldiers of the ill-fated C130 military plane, who were supposed to be deployed in this province, 53 new soldiers have recently graduated from a 4-month rigorous training in Indanan, this province, reports reaching MDNN said yesterday. The new graduates will be assigned at the 11th Infantry Division in this province to continue fighting against the terrorist armed group, including the dangerous Abu Sayyaf. The 53 soldiers belong to the Candidate Soldiers Course Class 655-2020 and they have recently graduated from a four months military training at "Mastal" Training School (11DTS) in Camp Bud Datu, Barangay Tagbak, Indanan.     The soldiers, report said, are now preparing for their first assignment by undergoing a 45-day Infantry Orientation Course (IOC) to make sure they are not only physically fit but also mentally prepared. “At the surface, you might see this as an extension of your calvaries. But really, you should look at this as a privilege. With all the learning that you acquire, you gain confidence to face challenges head on. To win war, we need competent and confident individuals. As they say, warriors are made not just born,” the 11DTS said in a statement Tuesday," said Maj. Gen. William Gonzales, the 11ID commander in his message during the graduation ceremony. Gonzales said: "Mastal" is a Tausug word which means teacher. Its letters stand for the school's mantra -- Mastery, Attitude and Skills, for Training Army Leaders. It was also learned that among the main mission of the new soldiers is dedicated to fight against the lawless group ISIS or otherwise known as the Islamic State for Iraq and Syria. Class 655-2020 will become part of the youngest infantry division of the Philippine Army, dedicated to fighting the Islamic State for Iraq and Syria-affiliated ASG. - PNA

READ MORE
Motorists queue in one of the quarantine checkpoints in the city's east district

July 24, 2021

Motorists queue in one of the quarantine checkpoints in the city's east district

READ MORE
Actor-turned Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez distributes P10K each to covid-19 affected families, 1 sack of rice

July 24, 2021

ORMOC CITY Mayor Richard Gomez joined via Zoom the distribution of P10,000 livelihood assistance grant (LAG) held at the Ormoc Superdome, from July 19-21, 2021. Maribel Gucela, acting City Social Welfare and Development officer said the total fund amounting to Php 19,452,000 allocated from the livelihood project, under the leadership of Mayor Gomez, was sourced out from  Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). The funds was obtained through the efforts made by his wife, Congresswoman Lucy Torres-Gomez of the 4th District and the Ormoc Development Team (ODT) led by Mayor Gomez. It was learned that as of this writing there were already 1,945 target beneficiaries who benefitted from the said livelihood project initiated by the City Government for its residents greatly affected by the ongoing threats of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).   Gomez said: "The OCLC’s goal is to provide a long-term livelihood and a sustainable income to the city’s underprivileged and vulnerable sectors, and their families, who were severely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. "Our hardworking city officials Vice Mayor Leo Carmelo L. Locsin, Jr., Committee Chairperson on Employment, Livelihood and Manpower Development SP Member Nolito Quilang, Committee Chairperson on Cooperative and Accreditation SP Member Roiland Villasencio including our compassionate Mayor Gomez advised the recipients to use the received cash assistance appropriately for the program’s intentions and hoping the said beneficiaries will be future entrepreneurs for the long-term." Meanwhile Mayor Gomez also distributed 1 sack of rice when Ormoc City was placed under Enhance Community Quarantine (ECQ) in April last year. The mayor has given 1 sack of rice (50 kls), adding that the one sack of rice would be enough to families who were forced to stay home because of the stricter quarantine protocols imposed by the IATF in ECQ areas. "If I opted to repack, I won't be able to distribute everything on time. Matapos na lang ang ECQ, di pa maaabutan lahat. Giving them one sack of rice at once will save me a lot of time and effort," was Goma's answer when asked. Because of that plan, Goma said, it only took him 4 days to distribute the goods to the right beneficiaries. "No need for lists. Each house got their supply. I have 67,000 constituents. You have an emergency here, and these people need immediate assistance. Why waste time in making a list? Goma asked. According to a report, the good mayor sourced the funding from the calamity fund, General Fund, and 30 percent of the Development Fund.    

READ MORE
Most wanted person is top NPA commander

July 24, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY: The most wanted person here turned out to be the top commander of the outlawed New People’s Army (NPA), the local police here said Saturday. P/Maj. Ivan Viñas, the spokesperson of the Cagayan de Oro Police Office  (COCPO), said that Richard H. Comayas, 46, a.k.a “Ricric,” did not resist arrest when collared by the enforcers Thursday in his hideout in Sugbongcogon, Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.   Police later learned that Comayas was the alleged  Vice Company Commander of the NPA’s Guerilla Front-4B of the North Central Mindanao Revolutionary Committee (NCMRC).   Viñas said that Comayas was arrested on the strength of a warrant of arrest issued by Judge Emmanuel P. Pasal, of the Regional Trial Court (RTC), Branch 38, in Cagayan de Oro City.   The suspect was facing two counts with attempted murder with a bail bond recommended at P120,000 each, aside from the P 200,000  bail bomd with the frustrated murder case.   Viñas said that Comayas  actually was a resident of Dampil, Lagonglong, Misamis Oriental. During the initial police questioning, Comayas  told the police that he has already left the underground movement and is on “menial jobs” to eke a living.   Viñas, however,  said that the suspect might have left the insurgency movement, but he has a warrant of arrest involving alleged crimes that he has to face in court.   He said the joint City Mobile Police Force and the COCPO launched  “Manhunt Charlie Operation” that led to Comayas arrest.-0-

READ MORE
Fire gutted air-conditioned multi-million poultry complex in MisOr

July 23, 2021

JASAAN, Misamis Oriental -: A fire of unknown origin gutted the multi-million air conditioned poultry complex of five buildings early Friday morning here.   Fire investigators said that the fire was tapped in about 2 a.m. Friday, the fire was placed under control an hour later. The initial damaged was placed at P 1 million while an assessment of the amount of destruction continues, fire investigators said.   A poultry worker identified as Wilfredo Tañen said that the fire started in the third building  that spread toward the second building.   He said that the poultry’s floorings were made of plastics that easily caught fire. According to Tañen, they disinfected the entire poultry complex Wednesday and made preparations to provide 20,000 newly hatched broiler chicks Friday.   No broiler were burned in one of the largest air-conditioned and mdeenized poultry complex in Misamis Oriental owned by former Congressman now Gingoog City Vice Mayor Peter Unabia.   Fire investigators were still looking into the cause of fire, which many suspected to be chemically triggered after the disinfection of the building. -0- 

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.