30 C
Cagayan de Oro
Saturday, December 3, 2022
spot_img
HomeFront PageImported cigarettes worth P75 million condemned by Customs in NorMin

Imported cigarettes worth P75 million condemned by Customs in NorMin

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – The Bureau of Customs in Northern Mindanao has destroyed P75 million estimated worth of imported cigarettes that it has intercepted months on Tuesday (June 15).

Oliver Valiente, chief of the Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service in Northern Mindanao said the condemned cigarettes was intercepted at the Mindanao Container Terminal (MCT) in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.

He noted that the boxes are printed with the “made in the Philippines” but are actually from China.

“They want to make it appear that these cigarettes are local,” Valiente said, referring to the P75 million worth of cigarettes that were destroyed at a facility in Barangay Mantibugao, Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon, on Tuesday, June 15.

He said the shipment arrived at the MCT January this year and was declared by the consignee Sixty Nine Enterprises as kitchenware.

“Upon examination the shipment revealed 135,700 reams of assorted cigarettes,” he said.

Valiente said the cigarettes were destroyed through crushing with the use of road roller and backhoe.

He said the information that a contraband arrived at a local port was relayed to Customs deputy commissioner Teddy Raval who instructed the BOC-10 office of the illegal items.

Most of the sources of information, he said, come from local industries and local counterparts in the Customs organization.

He added the BOC-10 has so far intercepted three batches of wrongfully declared imported cigarettes, as he assured that legal action has already been filed against the consignees of the shipment and the brokers who facilitated for the goods’ release.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -spot_imgspot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments