“Dili lang kung na’y request, immediately i-grant. Ang gatan-awon sa karon ang (It does not follow that requests will be immediately granted. We also check the) escalation in healthcare utilization rate, beds dedicated for COVID-19, case doubling time, surveillance or contact tracing, local transmission, food security indicators, among others,” Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)-10 Regional Director Arnel Agabe said in a press conference, September 9.
He added that the local chief executives (LCEs) are designated as head of task forces since they have better knowledge in handling COVID-19 cases in their area and their assessment is considered by the Inter Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) with validation from the Department of Health (DOH), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), and Philippine National Police (PNP).
Moreover, with the critical care utilization rate of 16.2 percent, case doubling time of 11-15 days, and the 1 is to 255 contact tracer ratio to population, COVID-19 Incident Commander Dr. David Mendoza of DOH-10 said there is still no need to raise the community quarantine level of Misamis Oriental and CDO.
“Regardless of what community quarantine level an area declares, the important thing is for the people to cooperate in our campaign. People should wear face masks and face shields especially in public places, and observe social distancing at all times.” Mendoza added.
For areas with active local transmission cases, Bukidnon has recorded 4 areas, Lanao del Norte (12), Misamis Oriental (3), Misamis Occidental (3), and Cagayan de Oro (15).
Compared to Iligan City, which is now under Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine, has more than 50 percent of the barangays with active local transmission cases.
Agabe said the national government continues to provide support and assistance to Iligan City noting its increasing number of COVID-19 cases.
There are about 2,000 testing kits provided by DOH to the city government and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)-10 aided in the establishment of isolation centers in the area.
IATF-EID Chief Implementer Sec. Carlito Galvez together with Presidential Communications Sec. Martin Andanar even visited the city last week to identify the needs of the area and possible government interventions that can be done, Agabe said.
As of September 8, there are a total of 1,733 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Northern Mindanao, wherein 909 have recovered, 30 have expired, and 794 are recovering. (RTP/PIA10)