BY JOEL CALAMBA ESCOL, MDNN Digital
ZAMBOANGA CITY – Top officials of Zamboanga City have already declared a dengue outbreak following the surge of cases from January until May this year.
This was also confirmed by Health Secretary Francisco Duque III in an interview with the national media.
Duque told the media that it is the local government that declared the outbreak based on their data submitted to the national office.
It was learned that from January 1 up to May 14th, a total of 2,026 has been recorded by the local health office in Zamboanga.
Out of the 2,026 individuals hit by the outbreak, there were 19 fatalities recorded by the local health office.
The number of cases, the local government reported, was 1,793 percent higher as compared to last year’s 107 dengue cases.
Anti-dengue campaigns and fogging operations have been massively conducted in areas where the outbreak was reported by health authorities to eliminate the mosquitoes, it was learned.
“It is now being investigated by our field epidemiologists to find out that the number of cases has gone past the alert level, also the outbreak level,” Duque said.
The health secretary reiterated the importance of the government’s “4S” (search and destroy of areas where mosquitoes are breeding; self protection measures by wearing long pants and sleeves; seek early consultation; and lastly the implementation of fogging operations.
The national government is also investigating other cases of dengue in other parts of the country following the number of cases reported in other areas due to the onset of the rainy season.