BY JOEL CALAMBA ESCOL, Managing Editor
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – A member of the Philippine Army based in Camiguin Province was arrested Sunday by joint operatives of different police organizations in Northern Mindanao, for selling ‘loose firearms.’
Police operatives of the lead team, the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), identified the suspect as a certain Corporal Gilbert Roja y Apostol, 33 years old, married, a member of the Philippine Army, and a resident of Purok 1, Brgy. Lumbo, Valencia City.
Roja was arrested during an entrapment operation on December 4, 1:15 early dawn, implemented by the composite team, led by CIDG regional field unit based in Cagayan de Oro City.
Roja was arrested for violation of Republic Act (RA) 10591 with Reference No.12042022-354 and Approved Pre Ops No.12-04-00396. Police operatives arrested him early dawn in front of Volkswagen CDO, Masterson Avenue, Upper Carmen, this city.
The arresting officers confiscated assorted firearms and ammos from the suspect during the early dawn raid on December 4. Those firearms include the following:
1. One (1) unit modified TROY CARBINE M4 rifle with attached scope with SN L777293;
2. One (1) unit ROCK ISLAND Cal. 45 pistol with SN: 030431AFP (M1911A2 FS-TACT;
3.One (1) pc magazine for M16;
4. Three (3) pcs magazine for cal 45;
5. Two (2) units fragmentation grenade;
6. one (1) pc hand fragmentation safety case;
7. One hundred seventy two (172) pcs of live ammunitions for M16 rifle;
8. Two hundred (200) pcs of 7.62 live ammunition;
9. Thirty nine (39) pcs live ammunitions for cal 45;
10. One (1) pc brown pack bag (JANSPORT);
11. one (1) pc black sling bag (racini)
12. Two (2) pcs Identification cards (AFP and LTO drivers license);
13. Two (2) units Samsung keypad cellphone;
14. One (1) unit REALME android cellular phone;
15. one (1) pc Php1000.00 bill with SN: HV139055;
16. Two (2) bundles one thousand peso bills (boodle money);
17. Two (2) pcs blue eco bag, and
18. one (1) pc pink eco bag
The search conducted at the house of the suspect was also witnessed by Brgy. Kag. Exudio A. Vidal and Brgy. Tanod Jocelyn S. Alpanta, all of Barangay Carmen, here.
Prior to the entrapment operation, the police investigators said, a surveillance was conducted for many days which also yielded positive results leading to the arrest of the suspect.
The joint operation, spearheaded by CIDG-RFU was made possible through the support of RSOT RFU 10, Camiguin PFU and PS-4, and COCPO.