BY ASANGAN T. MADALE
The Provincial government of Lanao del Sur including its non-government organizations, Ulama and Traditional leaders yesterday appeals to the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) to stop and prevent possible recurring of anomalous during the December 12 registration of voters.
Lanao del sur governor Mamintal “Bombit” A. Adiong Jr stated in his Press Release issued last December 1, 2022 that “It has been a recurring challenge in our province, the increase in the influz of non-resident citizens coming outside Lanao del Sur purposely to register, More importantly numerous conflicts in our localities were sparked by voter’s registration activities owing to the registration of non-residents and under age registrants.
He said while it is indeed true that COMELEC, as a poll body, cannot disallow citizens applying for registration based on mere doubt, as legal remedies have been established by law and procedure to question/oppose registrations, the same is likewise the mandate of COMELEC by law to ensure an honest and peaceful elections and voter’ registration.
The COMELEC has the constitutional authority to enforce and administer all laws and regulations relative to the conduct of elections including voter’s registration , Adiong said. have been established by law and procedure to question/oppose registrations, the same is likewise the mandate of COMELEC, Adiong reiterated his appeals to the COMELEC by recommending 5-points proposed procedure to enhance smooth of registration of voters on December 12, 2022, in his province down to its municipalities. He said:
- Priority should be given to applicants for registration who have recently attained the age of eighteen;
- Applicants must present Certificate of Live Birth;
- Applicants for registration must be required to present affidavit declaring his qualified residency in the locality where he intends to register and strictly adhere to solemn requirements of administration of oath;
- Execution of an Affidavit of Two Disinterested and Prominent Persons in the locality; and
- Election Officers must take caution on Transfer Registrants and their qualification.
Meantime, it could be recalled that on July 9,2012 ,the first day of the 10-day re-listing of voters in BARMM , where an Army tanks sits at a checkpoint in the town of Lanao del Sur and arrested 30 suspected flying registrants. Comelec also reported that they received 407,367 voters applications in Marawi City and 23 towns in this province, it was In the last day of registration , they already had 16,872 application in Maguing town, whereas the old voters list only had 16, 425 registered voters, COMELEC reports said.