news

PRDP provides‘Peace Road’project in Gingoog City

September 5, 2017

The implementation of almost P65-million farm-to-market road (FMR)of the Department of Agriculture’sPhilippine Rural Development Project(DA-PRDP) in Gingoog City is one fulfillment of the city government’s Peace Road Program. The5.56 kilometer (km) San Miguel-Kalagonoy FMRis funded under PRDP’sIntensified Building Up of Infrastructure and Logistics for Development (I-BUILD) component. During the groundbreaking ceremony on August 10, 2017, Gingoog City Mayor Stella Marie L. Guingon said she formulated the Peace Road Program when she assumed City Mayor, after thetragicand painful incident that happened in the area where her mother, the former Mayor Ruthie L. Guingona was ambushed by the so-called discontented groups who thought the government has done nothing for them. “When I sit down as mayor of Gingoog City I formulated the Peace Road Program which is also the long-dream of the people in the rural barangays of Gingoog City,…and now this is happening, we are inaugurating the groundbreaking of five concrete FMRs.” Mayor Guingonaannounced. Along, with the FMR of PRDP, LGU Gingoog also implements two other road projects from DA worth P10.6M each, and two from Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) with a total cost of more than P60M. Amidst obstacles in achieving their dreamed roads, the incessant Guingona promised to continue until all the roads in the City of Gingoog are concreted. “As long as we dream, and collectively strive to achieve it, nothing can stop us until we reach the time that all roads in Gingoog City will be concrete.” For his part, DA-RFO 10 OIC-Regional Director Carlene C. Collado urged the contractor to speed up implementation of the FMR consideringthe fund is already thereand the 15% mobilization fundis now available at the Program Support Office, Davao City waiting for pick-up by the contractor. “Having the money, we request the contractor to speed up implementation of the project, and I also ask the support from the LGU Gingoog and the barangay people to closely monitor the implementation process as we don’t allow this to be terminated if not properly implemented,” Collado emphasized. He reminded them the policy in I-BUILD Operations Manualthat more than 15% negative slippage is candidate for termination and if this happens, the total amount released from PRDP shall be fully refunded by the LGU. Dir. Collado also implied that Gingoog City should perform well, considering they got almost 25% out of the P738M current I-BUILD portfolio forMisamis Oriental. As to the two FMRs in barangay Binakalan to San Miguel worth P10.6 million each from the DA’s regular fund, Collado said the 50% was already downloaded to the LGU Gingoog last year. He added that succeeding releases for this projects is 40%, 10%. “Aside from FMRs, the DA has more programs to implement such as rice, corn, high value crops, livestock, and organic program which you can avail to increase your productivity and income,” Collado said. Meanwhile, Mayor Guingona said that along with the construction of FMRs, they are also giving farm inputs to the farmers to boost their production and harvest. Finally, Guingona thanked the DA, DPWH, and the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace Process for helping them in bringing the government more-closer to the people in Gingoog City.

READ MORE
President tells son Paolo, Mans: Go to Senate, but…

September 5, 2017

DAVAO CITY – If he has an advice to son Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte and son-in-law Atty. Manases “Mans” Carpio, President Rodrigo Duterte would want the two to appear before the Senate if invited to the hearings on alleged corruption at the Bureau of Customs (BOC). Duterte, a trial lawyer for many years, however, hinted it would be a futile exercise because the vice mayor and Carpio can always invoke their right to silence. The President said the two can even go to court if they are cited for contempt for failure to answer questions in the Senate investigation. “Ako, ang advice ko kay Pulong? “Punta ka doon, then pagdating mo and he questions, sabihin mo lang na, I will not answer you, I’m invoking my right of silence kasi nung eleksyon pa, hindi pa Presidente ang tatay ko, binibira mo na kami (For me my advice to Pulong? Go there, if you’re there and he (Senator Antonio Trillanes) questions, just say, I will not answer you, I’m invoking my right of silence because since election, before my father became president, you were already hitting us),” Duterte said when asked by reporters what advice he would give Paolo and Carpio if they are invited by the Senate. “Ang isagot sa iyo, ‘I will refuse to answer your questions because it will intend to incriminate me’, “ Duterte stressed. Duterte pointed out Trillanes already assumed for the longest time that Paolo and Carpio are behind the so-called Davao group linked to BOC’s smuggling and ‘tara’ system. Calling Trillanes as idiot with an IQ rate of six, Duterte dared the senator to get his own evidence instead of relying on other people’s statements. “So if you want evidence, Mr. Trililing, do not get it from the mouth of other people. Go somewhere else. Yung tinitira mo, gusto mo ring ipitin. Hindi ka abogado, hindi ka marunong niyan (Those you are hitting, you also want to pin down. You are not a lawyer, you do not know about it),” he said. Duterte said Trillanes cannot punish a person or take any inference when a person invokes a constitutional right. Trillanes, Duterte said, is just on fishing expedition. Eariler, Carpio said Trillanes is a “desperate rumor-monger,” who happens to be a senator. Carpio admitted to have visited BoC because he represents many clients, who have transactions with the agency. “Senator Trillanes is imputing malice in saying that my appearance before the BOC is because of smuggling. He is just a desperate rumor-monger who happens to be a senator. #desperado,” Carpio added. PNA

READ MORE
Former NPA rebels reap seeds of peace

September 5, 2017

DAVAO CITY -- Former New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Davao Oriental are literally reaping what they sow in the name of peace. This was announced by provincial information officer Karen Lou Deloso, who said 17 former NPA harvested corn and other vegetable products which they planted last May. Among the returnees, five were minors aged 16 to 17, and two were pregnant females aged 26 and 30. These ex-rebels were sheltered at the Happy Home, a processing center and a civilian facility for former rebels who have expressed their desire to return to the fold of the law in Mati City. The farm is owned by the provincial government and is near the 701st Brigade military camp. The facility will soon produce more vegetables. Chief Master Sgt. Fernando Queza, one of supervisors of the farming activity in the facility, reported the former rebels harvested eggplants, corn, ampalaya, cucumber and okra. Queza said that aside from planting, the beneficiaries are also tending livestock, a piggery with twenty piglets, and poultry of native chickens. The livestock, including the vegetable seedlings, and organic fertilizers, were provided for free by the provincial government’s agricultural office. Each of the returnees own the livestock and vegetables sold at the local market. In 2013, then governor and now First District Rep. Corazon Malanyaon established the facility for the former rebels to install the pillars of shared peace and prosperity in the province. Since its launched, the facility has been helping rebels in transition to civilian life. It is staffed by a composite group providing psychosocial, spiritual and other services. Governor Nelson Dayanghirang continues to provide former rebels with livelihood and employment opportunities, scholarships for their children, health services and others for them to join in the mainstream society. PNA

READ MORE
Direct Flights from Laguindingan to Boracay, Dumaguete start October 20

September 5, 2017

Cebu Pacific affiliate Cebgo will start direct flights three times a week from Laguindingan Airport to Boracay (Caticlan) and Dumaguete City starting October 20. To commemorate the start of the new routes, Cebgo is offering an introductory, all-in seat sale of P599 until August 18, or until seats are available. Travel period for the promo is from October 20, 2017 to March 15, 2018. In addition, Cebu Pacific also announced a new thrice weekly Kalibo-Clark flight on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, starting October 30. The flight will link the world famous resort town of Boracay in Western Visayas to Northern Luzon and Central Luzon via the Clark International Airport. The return Clark-Kalibo flight, meanwhile, will begin on October 31 and will be available Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Meantime, Cebgo will begin its first international flight out of Zamboanga City four times a week to Sandakan, Malaysia beginning October 29. Flights will be on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. “Now, the previous 14-hour travel by sea is cut down to just a 40-minute airplane ride,” said Cebgo president and chief executive officer Alexander Lao. Trade and Industry Assistant Secretary Art Boncato Jr noted that the new route “would offer better service to the traveling public and open greater opportunities for trade, investment, and tourism with Western Mindanao as a growing regional gateway to the Philippines.” The airline noted that Cebgo would be the only Philippine carrier with direct flights between the country and Sandakan. There is an introductory sale for the flight – P1,299 per ticket until August 21 – with the promo travel period from October 29 to December 31 this year.

READ MORE
IN PROTEST TO EJKS | 63 parishes in Oro start tolling bells for the dead

September 4, 2017

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Archbishop Antonio Ledesma has ordered all 63 parishes in the archdiocese to ring the De Profundis bell at 8 in the evening and say the prayers for the dead every night. “Let this be our sign of protest against extrajudicial killings i the war on drugs. Let this also be our call to prayer until the end of martial law – in solidarity with all the affected families in the Marawi crisis, especially those who have lost loved ones,” Ledesma said in a pastoral letter issued last August 28 during the feast of the city’s patron St. Augustine. In Roman Catholic parlance, the De Profundis bell is a slow, solemn and measured toll of the church bell with an accompanying prayer for the dead. The name comes from the first two words of Psalm 130, meaning “out of the depths.” Ledesma said that while Cagayan de Oro and its adjacent places are spared from drug-related murders, extrajudicial killings are rampant elsewhere and the faithful of the archdiocese need to extend their solidarity to the Tokhang victims. “These summary killings and violations of human rights cannot be justified. We express our deep concerns for their continued spate that has claimed even young lives and many others without due process,” he said. At the same time, Ledesma praised the local government officials and police in Cagayan de Oro for exercising their restraint in ensuring that no so-called extrajudicial killings are committed here. He also reached out to drug dependents to avail of the archdiocese’s drug rehabilitation program which is coordinated with City Hall.

READ MORE
Solon to govt: Step up security in Lanao Norte

September 4, 2017

CAGAYAN de Oro City--With the discussion of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) at the House of Representatives, a Lanao del Norte lawmaker has appealed to his colleagues in Congress to ask the military to augment its troops in the province. Fearing a recurrence of the attacks carried out by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in his home province in 2008, Lanao del Norte 1st District Rep. Mohamad Khalid Dimaporo said he has asked legislators at the Lower House to request the Armed Forces of the Philippines to deploy additional soldiers to secure the area. Dimaporo said it is important to deploy at least five battalions of soldiers so what happened in 2008 in Lanao del Norte where the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) attacked some of its towns will not be repeated. “With that in mind, I ask that the security of Lanao del Norte be ensured to prevent another recurrence of an MILF attack while the 17th Congress deliberates the [BBL]. For this purpose, I have filed three house resolutions in an attempt to ensure the safety and security of my constituents,” he said in a statement. BBL was drafted to establish the new Bangsamoro political entity and provide for its basic structure of government, in recognition of the aspirations of the Bangsamoro people. The MILF initiated the attacks in Lanao del Norte following the failure of the Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD), which the Moro separatist rebels and the government of then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed, but was met with massive opposition from other sectors in Mindanao, in 2008. Aside from his proposal to increase the military presence in his province, Dimaporo also filed resolutions in Congress directing the Department of Transportation, in coordination with the Philippine Air Force, to convert the Balo-i airport to an Air Force base to augment the security forces in the area. Another resolution was filed to direct the Department of Justice to submit to the appropriate committee a copy of the case filed against Commander Bravo and his warrant of arrest in relation to the 2008 MILF attack in Lanao del Norte. “We should not forget that they [MILF] cunningly misinformed their AFP counterparts regarding their conduct of training exercises, yet in actuality they were amassing their forces for a planned attack on Kauswagan and Kolambugan. We should not forget that although their fight is with the government they came down from the mountains with the objective to harm innocent civilians,” the congressman added.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.