news

Cops who invested in Ponzi-like schemes to face administrative charges, relief

June 17, 2019

Baria said PRO director Brigadier General Marcelo Morales will charge them administratively, which might result in the personnel’s relief, as the region’s top police official would not allow unprofessionalism and greed for money to destroy their image and dampen “what we have always strived for: to be a better police force, if not the best.” “Once PRO 11 personnel were found to be involved in the investment scheme, he (Morales) will charge them administratively under his power/authority,” Baria said in a text message. Baria said the PRO 11 had not received any complaints against police in the region who invested in the illegal get-rich-quick schemes. A statement released by the PRO 11 said Morales issued a “stern warning” against the police to prevent being blamed by the public for not taking action against the illegal operations of the investment firms. “We will not allow the public to throw stones on us by not doing anything that these illegal operations have gone full-scale,” he said. “Let us not forget our mission and vision that we will continue to serve the community loyally.” President Rodrigo Duterte recently ordered the National Bureau of Investigation and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to shut down Kapa Community Ministry International, Inc. and other similar investment firms offering huge returns similar to Ponzi schemes and warned the people behind these companies that they could be charged with syndicated estafa. Several branches of Kapa and other similar investment firms had been closed by authorities in several parts of the country last week.

READ MORE
Ph, SoKor agree to ship 4.63M kilo waste from Villanueva back to Korea

June 17, 2019

South Korean Director General of the Ministry of Environment Young Dae Jeung presented these proposals to the Philippine officials during a meeting at the Mindanao International Container Terminal in Tagoloan town, Misamis Oriental on Thursday. Jeung offered Philippine officials three proposals: burn the wastes by incinerator that would be constructed by South Korea or bury the wastes in a landfill to be constructed also by South Korea. Aileen Lucero, national coordinator of the Ecowaste Coalition, said Philippine officials rejected out right the first two proposals and opted for the third proposal which was to repatriate the garbage back to South Korean in accordance with \ the Basel Convention. “We laud the firm stance of customs and environmental officials in the region to have the illegal traffic waste re-exported to its source in South Korea.  The Basel Convention imposes an obligation on the State of Export to ensure the return of wastes deemed to constitute ‘illegal traffic’,” Lucero said. Lucero said that under this convention, the  obligation of the State of Export to manage the illegal traffic waste “in an environmentally sound manner may not under any circumstances be transferred to the State of Import or transit.”     The Philippine officials were led by Customs port collector John Simon and Rep. Juliet Uy, (1st district, Misamis Oriental) attended the meeting that lasted from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday. Misamis Oriental provincial board member Gerardo Sabal said he also rejected the first two proposals especially since the proposed landfill would be made inside the province. Neither is an incinerator a good idea, Sabal said because it violates the Philippine Clean Air Act of 1999. “Those two proposals are out of question because it will still be constructed in our province,” he said. The household waste in Tagoloan town came in two shipments misdeclared as “plastic synthetic wastes” in July and August 2018. The first shipment of 5,100 tons arrived on July 21, 2018 and was immediately sent to the four-hectare facility of the shipper, Verde Soko, in Sitio Buguac, Barangay Santa Cruz in Tagoloan. The second shipment of 51 container vans loaded with 1,400 tons (1.27 million kilos) arrived in the second week of August last year and was also brought to the same facility. The shipment caused an uproar among local government officials as residents of Sitio Buguac started complaining of foul smell from the facility. On January 14 this year, 51 container vans containing 1,400 tons of garbage were loaded on a cargo ship for return to their port of origin in Pyeongtaek, South Korea Lucero said Philippine and South Korean officials agreed on the third proposal which was to ship the wastes back to Pyeongtaek, its port of origin. She said the Philippines agreed to cover all costs concerning repacking, containerizing, transporting the waste from the Verde Soko facility in Villanueva town to the container port terminal in Tagoloan town; and also customs clearing. Lucero said the South Korean government agreed to shoulder the costs of shipping from the port of Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental to Korea. “Both parties agreed that this incident was caused by an illegal exporter in South Korea and an illegal importer in the Philippines,” she said. The cost of repacking the wastes into sling bags, placing them in container vans and transporting from the Verde Soko facility to the port is estimated to be  P7 million. The shipping costs from the port of Tagoloan to Pyeongtaek, South Korea is  estimated to be P10 million and will be shouldered by their government. Sabal said Verde Soko’s President, Niel Alburo, promised to shoulder the cost of repacking. He said F2 Logistics, the trucking company that brought the wastes to the Verde Soko also agreed to shoulder the cost of transportation. “Their compliance will favor them considerably especially that criminal cases have been filed and warrants for arrests have been issued against them,” Sabal said. The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Northern Mindanao filed criminal charges against Alburo and the directors of Verde Soko, the importer of the wastes.  A court in Misamis Oriental issued arrest warrants against Alburo and seven other company directors for alleged violations of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (RA 10863) and Toxic and Hazardous Waste Act (RA 6969).  Alburo and his co-accused have posted bail for their temporary liberty. 

READ MORE
Pres. Duterte honors forgotten hero

June 17, 2019

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, bared in his visit to Cagayan de Oro City, he is been enamored by the death of heroes in the country who died violently.   In his speech during the oath-taking ceremony of newly elected officials of the city, Pres. Duterte said he paid his respects to the monument of Justice Jose Abad Santos on the sidelines of the 121st Philippine Independence Day celebration at the 6th Infantry Battalion Grounds in Malabang, Lanao del Sur before proceeding to Cagayan de Oro City for the oath-taking ceremony.   The one who was not recognized and a forgotten hero, the president supposed that Justice Jose Abad Santos is not even celebrated.   Justice Abad Santos briefly served as the acting president of the Commonwealth of the Philippines and commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) during World War II, on behalf of President Manuel L. Quezon after he went in exile to the United States. After about two months, Justice Abad Santos was executed by the Japanese forces for refusing to cooperate during their occupation of the country.    He was brought to Malabang. There he was incarcerated and was made to swear allegiance to the Japanese flag. And he refused and thereafter he was killed by a firing squad. Just like Rizal.   Pres. Duterte was told that Abad Santos mortar remains were never found. He was shot there in Malabang.   No hope for the country On the state of the country, Pres. Duterte said, “Unless there is law and order and if there is no corruption…But if corruption will not stop, there will be no hope for the Philippines.   Because, according to him, corruption has eaten --- it’s like a termite in the whole house. They are in every hole, to the highest table, to the biggest there is in an office. For every table, there is a racket. And that is perhaps the lamentations of Filipinos. But corruption has not been stopped and it’s not attributable to just one term. It developed all throughout.   As an illustration, Duterte cited cases involving the Bureau of Customs (BoC) and the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR), among others.   “You get a permit and then you are asked to go back again and again. That is their style. And that style still exists now. Actually, what you have to watch out for is the clearances or permits. It starts there with small employees.”   Pres. Duterte, meanwhile said he prohibited the Land Transportation Office (LTO), police, and those who inspect vegetables and the like from issuing tariffs. But still, you have to admit it that a government worker’s salary is not enough. It’s really not sufficient. However, he said, “It does not mean that just because it is meager you have to commit corruption.”   Salary increase After doubling the salaries of military and police, the President vowed to prioritize next the teachers and is now working on it but he said, “Remember there are millions of teachers.”   The salaries of the military and police have been doubled as there are only a few of them compared to the teachers.   Besides, they have taken an oath of office, joined an organization inside the government. “If I tell them to go to Malabang in Lanao del Sur because there’s war, ‘jump straight to hell and die,’ they will do that. Go there and fight and fight until you die.   If you want a strong country, you need to have a strong army. Nothing will happen if you have weak armed forces. If it’s too weak, you cannot enforce the law.   Nowadays, even the police are stronger than municipal mayors. You know why? Because I --- all thanks to you --- but I won without the support of the people.

READ MORE
Ozamiznons call for unity in 121st Independence Day

June 17, 2019

Reliving the historic significance of the attainment of the country's freedom, Acting City Mayor Michael Tagal said, “How lucky are we that Filipinos long, long time ago were willing to take up arms and fight for liberty and were willing to pay the price for Philippine Independence.” For his part Acting City Vice Mayor Matronilo Cartajenas said, "We are celebrating today the Philippine Independence. Kalayaan--freedom, freedom from poverty, freedom of expression and freedom to choose who our leaders will be. Let this day remind us, that we should not allow anyone to take away our freedom anymore--freedom to choose our own destiny, freedom from monopoly and free to enjoy the right of expression."  He further said, "Let’s celebrate this day by honoring our heroes who sacrificed their lives for the sake of our country and continue the legacy that our heroes left us. Lets love our country with pride and honor. Be proud Ozamiznon and be proud Filipino. Padayon sa atong paglambo ug padayon sa atong panaghiusa alang sa atong kagawasan (Let's continue for our progress and our unity for our freedom)." The acting vice mayor urged everyone to join hands in giving honor to the Filipinos who sacrificed their lives so that the next generation can enjoy freedom from the invaders.  "Today, we fight for change for a better country for a better Philippines. Ozamiznons let us be part of that change, be responsible Filipino who contributes for a betterment of our country," he said. Started at exactly 6:30 a.m., the observance gathered government officials and employees, as well as delegations from different organizations, groups, and various sectors. After the raising of the Philippine flag, city officials and veterans led the wreath-laying for Dr. Jose Rizal. This was shortly followed with a 21-gun salute by the personnel of 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company. The Philippine Declaration of Independence was proclaimed on June 12, 1898 in Cavite. It was marked with the raising of the Philippine flag and the reading of the Act of Proclamation of Independence of the Filipino People, wherein Filipino revolutionary forces under General Emilio Aguinaldo proclaimed the country’s independence from Spanish colonial rule. 

READ MORE
Who is this man?

June 17, 2019

  Share * He prophesized that a big calamity will happen in Cagayan de Oro CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MDN digital) - A Nigerian national is now in Cagayan de Oro and posted his alleged prophecy that a BIG downpour of rain will struck in the city and many people will die. This foreign national is reportedly a preacher, as he was often seen at the Provincial Hospital, this city, preaching with the patients at the hospital and their relatives. His recent prophecy about Cagayan de Oro caught the attention of city residents and many shared it on their FB pages. Some got angry as his revelations are really scary. He prophesized that he saw dark clouds and this means that something bad will happen to the city, people will suffer from pain, and many will be dead as a result of a huge downpour of rain that will happen soon. Watch this video below and you be the judge who is this man. Sendong typhoon Many years ago, a typhoon named Sendong hit Cagayan de Oro. Many people have died and thousands were also homeless. Prior to the said typhoon, an environmentalist group frequently held rallies in front of SM Cagayan de Oro, denouncing the DENR for not taking actions to the truckloads of logs transported from Tagaloan I in Lanao via Talakag and Cagayan de Oro. The environmentalist group claimed that the city is like a river basin and if illegal logging continues near Talakag Bukidnon, Cagayan de Oro will suffer from big floods. People did not listen until Sendong happened and hundreds of people have died. ###   ---  ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter  

READ MORE
Burgeon Apparel now available in CDO

June 17, 2019

"GENERATIONS have passed but still people from  different walks of life suffer from depression, stress and all other toxic things. It affects our holistic being. Our goal is to simply spread awareness that we are all bigger than our thoughts." It is in this premise that Burgeon Apparel was created by founders KG Lamaclamac and Oliver Alcantara. "We can always break the walls of negativity, live the life to the fullest & be the best version of ourselves. We believe that everyone in this world just needed that one tap on the back...to have a statement of inspiration and motivation in every merchandise, to aspire in making a difference and create an impact by touching the hearts and minds of the community." Lamaclamac assured that they will provide apparels that are still at par with quality but with affordable and reasonable prices. In fact, their aim is to be one of the leading providers of inspirational/motivational apparel. Burgeon Apparel can be contacted through their Facebook page.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.