the region

Moreno: Full public compliance to protocols crucial in defeating virus

January 5, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, Jan. 5 (PIA)--"If the people of Cagayan de Oro cooperate wholeheartedly and consistently (by fully complying with minimum public health protocols) then I have no doubt that we will prevail over COVID-19."   Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno voiced optimism over the low daily recorded average of COVID-19 cases in the city at the end of last month, which capped off both Christmas and New Year celebrations.   "Right now our priority is to stop the virus from spreading and the city government cannot do this (without the public's full support)," Moreno said.   In her daily case update during Monday's press briefing, acting City Health Officer Dr. Lorraine Nery said the City Health Office (CHO) recorded 21 new confirmed cases for Saturday and Sunday (January 2 and 3).   Of that number, the city registered nine cases on Saturday and 12 on Sunday. For December 2020, the city registered less than 20 daily cases.   But while the city's daily recorded COVID-19 cases dropped to 10 by December's end and then to nine cases at the start of January, CHO Epidemiologist Dr. Teodulfo Joselito Retuya Jr. said they may expect a surge in cases after January 6.   "We take note of the recent opening of a store in one mall which drew a long line of customers (and see if something will come up)," Retuya said. (CIO/PIA10)

READ MORE
Camiguin posts 13% drop in crime rate for 4Q

January 5, 2021

CAMIGUIN, Dec. 15 (PIA)--The Philippine National Police (PNP) in Camiguin has recorded a 13 percent decrease of crimes or three crimes from October 1 to December 11 as compared to the previous period with 23 crimes.   During the Provincial Peace and Order Council, Provincial Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict, Provincial Anti-Drug Abuse Council, and Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council Joint Meeting, December 14, PLtCol Gwen Cinco said they have recorded 10 non-index crimes, 3 index crimes, and 5 public safety index for the said period.    On the eight focus crimes, Camiguin has recorded three cases of rape and three cases of theft.   Furthermore, the province has recorded only three focus crimes as opposed to the six cases in 2019. PNP-Camiguin has also cleared three crimes this year while it handled six cases last year.    As for wanted persons, PNP-Camiguin has arrested 11 most wanted persons and 67 other wanted persons from the five towns of the province.    On their campaign against illegal drugs, five operations were conducted and about P86,769.90 worth of illegal drugs were seized.    As for implementation of local ordinances particularly on health safety protocols, PNP-Camiguin arrested/fined 7,096 persons.    They have recorded 326 violations on curfew, no back ride policy/allowing back rider without a barrier (287), mandatory use of face shield (2,002), mandatory use of face mask (3,161), social distancing (357), liquor ban (39), and other municipal ordinance related to the implementation of MGCQ (642).   Cinco said with the strict implementation of municipal ordinances and enforcement of laws, Camiguin remains to be one of the most peaceful places in the region amid the pandemic. (RTP/PIA10)

READ MORE
DSWD releases additional Php10K grant to LAA families thru Starpay app

January 5, 2021

MARAWI CITY, Jan. 4 (PIA) -- With its continuing efforts to uplift the lives of the affected families in Marawi, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) started releasing additional Php10,000 worth of Livelihood Settlement Grant (LSG) to 28,204 families from the less affected area (LAA) of the city. DSWD partnered with Starpay Corporation as a  financial service provider through its smartphone application.  “Registration was already facilitated by Starpay Corporation and log-in details were distributed to the families through their nominated mobile numbers,” said DSWD Region X Director Mari-flor Dollaga-Libang. Starting December 28, 2020,  5,000 families  were notified daily about the assistance. Libang further said that initial concerns using the digital application is the unavailability of smartphones and blocked accounts. With this, DSWD 10 also requested assistance  from the city government of Marawi and Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Field Office to intake the details of the families having similar concerns. The agency shall then request manual beneficiary reference numbers for these families. The beneficiary should download the Starpay application and upgrade its user level. To upgrade one's account, details such as name, selfie, birthdate, permanent and present address, and valid ID are needed. Acceptable IDs include passport, driver's license, PWD ID, Barangay ID, TIN ID, SSS, Philhealth, among others. After taking a selfie, at least one ID should be chosen and uploaded with details. A message will then be sent once the account is upgraded.   To claim the assistance, the beneficiaries can cash out their wallet balance  through MLhuillier  pay out or Security Bank or Chinabank ATM cardless withdrawal.  From April 2019, DSWD distributed of Transitory Family Support Package of Php53,000 and additional Php14,400 to 17,905 displaced families or Marawi IDPs from the 24 most affected area (MAA); distribution of LSG worth Php20,000 to 17,905 displaced families IDPs from MAA and Php10,000 for 28,266 displaced families IDPs from  LAA  as well as the distribution of Pabaon Package and 30 kilograms of  rice. (LELA/ PIA ICIC)

READ MORE
GSIS to subsidize education of 5K members’ kin

January 5, 2021

ILIGAN CITY, Jan. 4 - The Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) is subsidizing the college education of 5,025 of its members’ kin for School Year 2020-2021 under the GSIS Educational Subsidy Program (GESP). The grantees were selected from 5,427 nominees. Priority was given to children of GSIS members with the lowest annual basic salary. The grantees will be notified via email and text message. The list will be uploaded to the GSIS website at www.gsis.gov.ph. GSIS will give a Php10,000 yearly financial assistance to the grantees to augment their educational fund. They will continue to receive the subsidy until they finish their college course provided they meet the 80% general weighted average with no failing grade or incomplete mark in any subject in the previous semester or term of the academic year. The GESP allowance will be deposited to the bank account of the grantees at the Land Bank of the Philippines. GSIS opened GESP from March to September 2020 to accommodate as many active members as possible considering the movement restrictions of the nationwide community quarantine. GESP is the pension fund’s response to President Duterte’s call to provide wider access to quality college education to the marginalized sector. It complements Republic Act No. 10931 or the 2017 Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education which provides free tuition and miscellaneous fees. For GESP concerns and inquiries, interested parties may call Mgr. Raymundo Palad, Leslie Fangonil, or Rodello Giron of the GSIS Corporate Social Advocacies Department through (02) 8479-3588, (02) 8479-3571 to 72. GSIS branch offices nationwide may also assist applicants. (GSIS Iligan)

READ MORE
Camiguin bans firecrackers, fireworks use on holidays

January 4, 2021

CAMIGUIN, Dec. 28 (PIA)—To further prevent people from unnecessary gatherings, the provincial government here bans the use of firecrackers and fireworks in the province during the holiday season. Through the Executive Order No. 64, Gov. Jurdin Jesus Romualdo strengthens the government’s efforts to contain the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID)-19. “In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, activities that promote, bring about, or give rise to people gathering together should be discouraged and averted,” Romualdo said. He added that the use of firecrackers and fireworks by all persons in the province in all places, whether public or private, shall be prohibited from the effectivity of the EO, which is on December 22 until January 2, 2021. “Violations of this Executive Order shall be penalized under the appropriate provincial and municipal ordinances, and applicable laws,” Romualdo said. As of December 28, the province has only recorded one confirmed COVID-19 case along with 171 persons with history of travel or exposure of which 128 are from Mambajao, 15 from Mahinog, 9 from Guinsiliban, 5 from Sagay, and 14 from Catarman. (RTP/PIA10)

READ MORE
DILG-10 ensures apt training for brgy frontliners

January 4, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, Dec. 29 (PIA)--"We check, including local government units sa pagpadayon sa paghatag ug kaangayan nga (in continuously providing necessary training on) knowledge and skills."    During the NorMin COVID-19 Response Task Force press conference, December 29, Agabe said aside from providing facility or equipment for COVID-19 response, the government also continuously monitor the skills training needed by LGUs down to the barangay level.    He added that they have coordinated and partnered with the Department of Health (DOH)-10 so barangay frontliners will be given necessary training to further assist DILG, DOH and other concerned government agencies.    "We have directed the provincial and city directors to conduct a survey for the need to conduct additional training. We have the DOH on top especially on COVID-19 response," Agabe added.    On community quarantine classification   For services and interventions of the government provided in a certain area, Agabe said they are also based on the community quarantine classification.   On the other hand, the regional director said the escalation and de-escalation of risk classifications were based on the health care utilization rate of dedicated beds and equipment for COVID-19, daily attack rate, barangay with new cases in the past 14 days, surveillance;   Contact tracing and isolation efficiency, no local transmission from locally stranded individuals (LSIs) or returning overseas Filipinos (ROFs) index case for two weeks, establishments closed or workers affected, and clusters in workplace, food security and social indicators, and adherence to minimum public health standards.   As of December 29, there are a total of 7,581 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in northern Mindanao, wherein 6,138 have recovered, 222 have expired, and 5,916 are recovering. (RTP/PIA10)

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.