northern mindanao

Ozamiz ‘Tokhang’ responders receive livelihood package

January 30, 2017

OZAMIZ City––Fifty-one persons formerly involved in the drug trade received livelihood assistance from this city’s local government with aid amounting to about P1 million. The giving of the livelihood package is part of the intervention initiated by the city government aimed at empowering those who were former drug users and sellers, said Mayor Reynaldo O. Parojinog Sr. Parojinog said the program was designed to lift those who responded to the “Oplan Tokhang” (knock and plead) initiative of Pres. Rodrigo Duterte in an effort to eliminate the illegal drug industry in the country. Throughout the Philippines, hundreds of thousands of individuals turned themselves in under the Oplan Tokhang. In Ozamiz, more than a thousand had done the same. Parojinog said giving people legitimate means to earn a living is the best way for them to turn away from “I understand people are into drug selling due to poverty. This (livelihood) is our answer to their needs,” he said during the turn-over of the livelihood project to the second batch of “Tokhang” responders held at the City Hall grounds recently. Parojinog said once the livelihood program takes off, more packages will be given to those who are interested in starting their own business the legal way. So far, the beneficiaries were given what livelihood to undertake, among them, pig dispersal, rolling store, backyard gardening, and livestock raising. For her part, Vice Mayor Nova Princess Parojinog said the challenge for the beneficiaries is how to sustain the livelihood given to them. “This is a test of discipline, how they can take care of the business enterprise given to them,” she said, adding the Tokhang responders who have availed of the livelihood package will be monitored and if further assistance is needed, the city government will extend it to them. For Amalita Antonio, 29, of Barangay Triunfo, the rolling store given to her and live-in partner Kenneth Sarmiento will help them start a new life with their five children. Antonio was a seller for a year who was forced to go into dealing in shabu due to financial hardship.

READ MORE
Region 10 campus journalists bag awards, rank 6th in NSPC

January 30, 2017

PAGADIAN CITY - Northern Mindanao campus journalists set a 10-year best sixth-place in individual contests ranking among 18 regions during the National Schools Press Conference, January 22-25, this year at Saint Columban College here. “Obviously, we have improved a lot,” said Department of Education 10 regional director Allan G. Farnazo, after the 286-strong Region 10 delegation received 30 individual and group contest awards. DepEd records would show the best performance ever for Region 10 was when she ranked third overall in individual events in the 2006 NSPC in Kalibo, Aklan. Once again, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) or Region IV-A, took the overall NSPC championship for the fifth consecutive year. Individual Awards This year, 13 of the recognitions came from individual contests, the highest of which came from sports writing and in copy reading and headline writing while the rest in news, editorial, and science writing events as well as in editorial cartooning and photojournalism. Sports writers Jeriza Joy Cabasag of Calamba National Comprehensive High School, Misamis Occidental and Mary Grace Lourdes Gorre of Ozamiz City National High School, Ozamiz City excelled in Filipino and English categories, respectively, in a field of 54 contestants. Valencia City Central School pupil Frenchie Jyne Panares also topped the Filipino category of copy reading and headline writing. Another NSPC winner in sports writing was Rico Leibling of Yumbing National High School, Camiguin who took the second spot in English category. Bukidnon’s Capitan Bayong campus, an annex of Impasugong National High School produced her first-ever national winner through Trishia Mae Arias who captured the 2nd spot in photojournalism Secondary English. Three other NSPC qualifiers in copy reading and headline writing were among winners: Preach Love Paulican of Mountain View College, Valencia City, 4th place in English elementary; Christine Madjos of Tangub City National Comprehensive High School, 6th place in Filipino secondary; and Jerome Aparri of Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology, 7th place in English secondary. In news writing, Earl Joy Lopina of Yumbing National High School, Mambajao, Camiguin, who was a second-place winner(English, secondary) in last year’s NSPC in Koronadal, settled for 6th place while Prince One Tala of Tangub City Central School took the 4th spot in Filipino elementary. Another back-to-back winner is Remuel dela Cruz of Bukidnon’s Kalilangan National High School who, from last year’s first-place award dipped to 6th this time in editorial cartooning Filipino while another Bukidnon-based cartoonist in Filipino Zarnico Fedly Ibo of Cabanglasan Elementary School clipped the 7th spot. Three other NSPC winners are from Ozamiz City Schools Division, the overall champion during the 2016 Regional Schools Press Conference: Ozamiz City Central School-Sped Center’s Rosel L. Potestas, 2nd in science writing Filipino, and Christine Angela Ligutom, 7th place in editorial English, while Diane Nicole N. Ytac of Ozamiz City National High School, was 6th in photojournalism Filipino. Group Awards In the same reaction, Farnazo said he has seen “a big improvement in the passion and commitment of the advisors” and such was manifested in the results, not only in individual but also in collaborative publishing, radio broadcasting and television newscasting competitions. Cagayan de Oro City-based Gusa Regional Science High School won in four seven-member group events her students participated in: third in collaborative publishing, Filipino category; fifth in TV newscasting, English; seventh in TV newscasting, Filipino; and second in online publishing, Filipino. Last year, Gusa RSHS collaborative team in Filipino also harvested national awards. Meanwhile, Ozamiz City National High School’s radio broadcasting English and Filipino teams, also composed of seven members each, harvested six awards including 4th overall radio production in English. Ozamiz City Central School-Sped Center’s Filipino radio broadcasting bagged three awards, including 7th overall in radio production.

READ MORE
Comelec receives close to 500,000 voter applications via satellite registration

January 30, 2017

Close to 500,000 individuals are looking to register for the forthcoming Oct. 23 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Elections, the Commission on Election (Comelec) said on Wednesday. The poll body reported that they have received a total of 490,892 applications in satellite registration centers nationwide for the period of more than two months since the registration started. “A total of 490,892 applications for registration have been received for a period of nine weeks, from November 2016 to January 2017, during the ongoing satellite registration of voters nationwide,” the Comelec said in a statement. Data revealed that a total of 81,318 applications have been received from regular registrants; while another 72,745 applications are for the SK. Aside from voter registration, the Comelec also received applications for transfer, reactivation, correction/change, reinstatement, and inclusion of records in the list of voters. The poll body through Resolution 10166 has directed all city and municipal Election Officers (EOs) to intensify the conduct of satellite registration by holding at least two or more in every barangay. The figure does not include those that have been filing their application for voter registration at the local Offices of Election Officers (OEOs) since November 7, 2016. The Election Registration Board (ERB) will be the one to decide whether to approve/disapprove the application for their inclusion to the list of voters. The continuing voter registration will run until April 29, 2017 except on April 13 and 14. The Comelec is looking to register additional five million voters for the coming elections, including three million for the village polls and two million youth voters. (PNA) BNB/FGP/EBP

READ MORE
NGCP reaches out to CDO flood victims

January 27, 2017

THE National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) activated its relief operation last Friday in Cagayan de Oro City to reach out to victims of the January 16 flooding. NGCP regional public affairs officer Mae Roselle Curiano said that the privately-owned company was able to give plastic containers of relief goods to 300 families in barangay Carmen covered court. The contents of each plastic container are the following – first aid kit, shirt, flashlight, slippers, toothpaste, spoon and fork, toothpaste, disposable cup, shampoo, canned goods, rice, sanitary pad, blanket, water, toothbrush, underwear and powdered energy drink. Curiano hoped that these goods could help in the immediate needs of the flood victims whose houses were damaged when urban flooding hit the main and suburban thoroughfares of the city last January 16. In the past year, NGCP was able to assist 3,000 families in Isabela, Cagayan and Aurora in the aftermath of typhoon Lawin last October. Two months later, the company was able to help 500 families in Naga City in the aftermath of typhoon Nina. Just earlier this month, it was able to help 70 families in Butuan City following the rage of typhoon Auring. Beyond its post-calamity operations, NGCP is planning to hold disaster preparedness seminars in its host communities. Curiano said they are planning to hold such seminars in Cagayan de Oro, Bukidnon, Agusan del Norte, Bicol and Cagayan within this year.

READ MORE
‘Alsa Ozamiz’ launched; illegal gambling machines destroyed

January 23, 2017

OZAMIZ City––Aimed at finally shedding the city’s negative perception for good, the people here have stepped up their campaign against all forms of criminalities, especially illicit drugs and illegal gambling. Close to ten thousand residents braved the rain at the Cotta Square to attend the “Alsa Ozamiz City” movement which was launched Wednesday night. Fed up with the criminal activities being blamed on them that has besmirched the city’s image for so long, Vice Mayor Nova Princess Parojinog said that with the participation of the people, the Alsa Ozamiz will take off. “Our target is to get rid of all forms of criminalities here in Ozamiz. For a long time, we have been blamed for the crimes being committed elsewhere. With Alsa Ozamiz, it has to change,” the vice mayor said. She said the city government has invited all residents to join Alsa Ozamiz and those who will not support will be suspected of committing illegal activities. She said they are confident it will be achieved with coordination of the new city police director, Chief Insp. Jovie Espenido, who came from Albuera, Leyte and was involved in a controversy when he filed criminal complaints against known drug personalities in that province including Kerwin Espinosa whose father Rolando Sr. was killed last year. With the launching of the Alsa Ozamiz, the local government here has intensified its campaign against illicit activities when more than 500 illegal gambling machines were destroyed after they were voluntarily turned over by residents. Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr. said it was the people themselves who surrendered the 560 “video karera” and “tolelong” machines to the city government. He said the illegal gambling is linked to the proliferation of the illegal drug use. “We found out that those who take shabu are also the patrons of these video games. We have already reduced the illegal drug use in the city, but we want to eliminate it by going after illegal gambling as well,” Parojinog said. To show to the people of Ozamiz that the city government is sincere in its drive against illegal gambling, the machines were smashed at the city hall grounds on Wednesday afternoon witnessed by residents. “This is just the first wave,” the mayor told reporters at the sidelines. “In the coming days, those who will not turn over their video game machines will be charged with criminal cases. It would be easier for them to just surrender the machines to the police rather than face charges,” he added. So far, he said, the people of Ozamiz have been responsive to Parojinog’s call. When it was announced early this week that the gambling machines will be confiscated if not turned over, people personally brought their “video kareras” and “tolelongs” to the city government.

READ MORE
Alleged drug queen nabbed anew

January 23, 2017

CAGAYAN de Oro City--A well-known alleged drug dealer was arrested anew during a buy-bust operation conducted by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, Region 10 (PDEA-10) in Iligan City Wednesday. Nabbed by PDEA-10 operatives was Lovely Adam Impal, who was arrested in a previous operation by anti-narcotics agents. Impal, who was named by suspected drug lord Kerwin Espinosa as his alleged supplier of shabu, was caught red-handed while trying to sell a packet of suspected illegal drug to a PDEA agent. Taken from Impal during the operation, PDEA-10 said, was the suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride weighing about 110 grams with an estimated street value of P550,000. In an interview, PDEA-10 regional director Adrian Alvariño was quoted as saying Impal was “selling and giving samples of her stock of drugs in an effort to expand her networks and re-convince other pushers to go back to selling drugs.” Alvariño said the suspect’s arrest was a product of intelligence work and based on their investigation, she is believed to be operating in other parts of the country. During a post-operation interview, Impal, however, denied there was a buy-bust as she claimed she was arrested inside her house in Iligan. “They just barged into my place and arrested me and my companions,” she told reporters. Arrested with Impal were her sister Farina Rato and Alvin Pamilian. Impal said “it would be a shame that I surrendered to [Police Director General Ronald dela Rosa] and would return again to drug pushing. No, I do not sell drugs anymore.” It can be recalled that Impal turned herself in to dela Rosa last December but was released since there was no complaint filed against her. Reports said she was arrested in a buy-bust inside a fastfood chain in Cebu City on July 7, 2006, but was freed.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.