northern mindanao

Flood warning raises in Mindanao cities, provinces

January 30, 2017

By CRIS DIAZ, Executive Editor and GERRY GORIT, Correspondent CAGAYAN de oro City--Local officials had raised flood warnings in various areas in Northern and Northeastern Mindanao amid heavy rains that continue to batter the region. The local weather officials had raised an “Orange Alert” in the provinces of Misamis Oriental, Bukidnon, Camiguin, Agusan del Norte, Agusan Del Sur, Surigao Del Sur, Surigao Del Norte, and Dinagat Island due to heavy rains spawned by the Low-Pressure Area (LPA) Saturday morning. Weather officials also raised the “Yellow Alert” in the provinces of Misamis Occidental and Lanao Del Norte. An “orange alert” means that residents along the river channels were advised to move to safer grounds in anticipation of the rising flood waters while the “yellow alert” advised the residents to be alert for possible flood. Flooding has threatened in low-lying areas and near river channels apart from threats of landslides in mountainous areas in the region, the weather officials warned. Provincial governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano, of Misamis Oriental, issued a provincewide alert and ordered the Provincial Disaster Risk, Reduction, and Management Office (PDRRMO) to mobilize the disaster and rescue teams to be able to respond to any eventuality. He said that residents in Medina, a coastal town east of Misamis Oriental, had been evacuated to safer grounds due to flooding. Emano said that two houses in Villanueva, also a coastal town east of Misamis Oriental, were also destroyed when a tree fell on the houses, but nobody was reported injured. The governor also advised all public-school officials to exercise prudence in dismissing classes, putting into consideration of the safety of the pupils and students. In Cagayan De Oro City, traffic officials had ordered the closure of some portion of the Claro M. Recto Avenue, a long stretch of commercial highway where hundreds of vehicles were stuck up during the urban flooding last Jan. 16. Aside from the Claro M. Recto Avenue, some major streets in Cagayan De Oro City were also closed particularly along Osmena Street, the Lapasan highway, Serena Street in Carmen, and the J.R. Borja Extension, Camaman-an village and all other villages and streets in the city. Last January 16, more than 5,000 residents in Misamis Oriental and another 5,000 residents in Cagayan de Oro City were evacuated due to flood spawned by the LPA. Misamis Oriental and Cagayan De Oro City were still reeling from the flood last January 16 and had remained under the state of calamity. Code Red Due to incessant rains, the state weather bureau has put most of Northern Mindanao under Code Red Alert Saturday afternoon. In an advisory, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa), the provinces of Camiguin, Misamis Oriental, Misamis Occidental, Lanao del Norte, and Bukidnon were affected by the low pressure area (LPA) and tail-end of a cold front, as of 1 p.m. Saturday. Lanao del Sur, the four provinces of Agusan and Surigao, including Dinagat Islands were under code red, as well. In Cagayan de Oro, several areas were submerged in waters although not as severe as the flooding last Jan. 16. The University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines and Lim Ket Kai complex along C. M. Recto Avenue were flooded but not as serious as last time. In some villages, residents left their homes as waterways began to overflow due to the heavy rains that began at dawn and continued until Saturday afternoon. According to the City Social Welfare and Development, about 37 families were evacuated in barangays Bonbon, Puerto and Macasandig. In Gingoog City, 142 families from Barangay Agay-anan had to seek shelter at the town’s covered court. Meanwhile, the police regional office said it has deployed more than a thousand law enforcers from various units to act as search and rescue responders flood-prone areas in the city and Misamis Oriental. “We are now taking precautionary measures. We are particularly assisting the CDRRMO and PDRRMO on preemptive evacuation as well as managing traffic. We have deployed police personnel on key areas to direct traffic, help stranded motorist and provide assistance to the public,” police regional director Chief Supt. Agripino Javier said. Serious flood warning Serious Flood Warning has been raised over 11 provinces in Caraga, Northern Mindanao and the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) due to the trough of low pressure area and the tailend of a cold front. In its Serious Flood Warning issued at 1 p.m. Saturday (Jan. 28), the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said serious flooding is expected in low lying areas and near river channels and landslides in mountainous areas in the entire Caraga region (Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur) the Northern Mindanao povinces of Bukidnon, Camiguin, Lanao del Norte Misamis Occidental and Misamis Oriental, and Lanao del Sur in the ARMM. Serious flooding is expected in low lying areas and near river channels and landslides in mountainous areasin these 11 provinces where the rainfall advisory is color coded red. PAGASA said a red rainfall advisory is issued “when downpours constitute an emergency.” This is raised when observed rainfall is more than 30 mm within one hour or if rainfall has continued for the past three hours and is more than 65 mm. PAGASA raised an orange rainfall advisory over the provinces of Zamboanga del Norte and Sarangani. An orange rainfall advisory is raised in areas where rainfall is between 15 mm and 30 mm within one hour. “Flooding is a definite threat in communities under the orange alert,” it said. PAGASA raised a yellow rainfall advisory over the Davao region (Compostela Valley, Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, Davao Occidental and Davao Oriental” and the ARMM provinces of Basilan, Maguindanao and Sulu, or “flooding is possible.” A yellow rainfall advisory is raised when the expected rainfall amount is between 7.5 mm and 15 mm within one hour and likely to continue. (MindaNews)

READ MORE
BOC-10 meets P9.7-billion target collection for 2016

January 30, 2017

CAGAYAN de Oro City--The Bureau of Customs District 10 in Northern Mindanao met its target collection for 2016, amounting to Php 9.7 billion with an 8.36 percent increase difference compared to 2015. Collection performance was a bit short in the early and mid of 2016 mostly due to the drop in the prices of oil. Apart from the Cagayan de Oro port, there are the Mindanao Container Terminal sub-port in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental, the Iligan sub-port in Lanao del Norte and the Ozamiz sub-port in Misamis Occidental. From January to August, last year, revenue collection was on the red. It swung upward starting September, overcoming the target by Php168.97 million and in October by 383.94 million, under the stewardship of then MCT-sub port Collector Nash Guro. November and December also followed suit having the BOC-10 met its target collection for 2016. Atty. Tomas Alsid, district collector of the Port of Cagayan de Oro, expressed optimism for 2017 target, following the meeting of the 2016 collection target as soon as he assumed office, here, last quarter of the year. The curbing of smuggling by the Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service under the Intelligence Group (CIIS-IG) in the ports of Cagayan de Oro and the sub-ports under the jurisdiction of BOC-10 by as much as P200 million or 91.5 percent in 2016 by way of seizures and forfeitures has helped a lot in meeting the collection target. Alvin Enciso, acting chief of CIIS-10, said from an estimated total value of P228,520,000 in 2015, seizures and forfeitures in 2016 only amounted to P19,500,000. “We have been stringent in all examinations for importations, and the higher ups in Manila, including CIIS-CDO, have been positive and upbeat for 2016, because smuggling is being curtailed,” Enciso said. Enciso said out of the almost P20 million seizures, the amount of P4,517,595 were converted into additional duties and taxes for the year 2016. Enciso explained the priority mandate of the BOC is on revenue generation and trade facilitation, as well as, anti-smuggling. “When smuggling is down, revenue collection is up. That’s how it is,” Enciso said. Topping 2016 seizures and forfeitures are used clothing, locally known as “ukay-ukay” followed by truck replacement parts also known as “chop chop” and regulated items such as rice, sugar, mosquito coils and used television sets, among others.

READ MORE
Ozamiz ‘Tokhang’ responders receive livelihood package

January 30, 2017

OZAMIZ City––Fifty-one persons formerly involved in the drug trade received livelihood assistance from this city’s local government with aid amounting to about P1 million. The giving of the livelihood package is part of the intervention initiated by the city government aimed at empowering those who were former drug users and sellers, said Mayor Reynaldo O. Parojinog Sr. Parojinog said the program was designed to lift those who responded to the “Oplan Tokhang” (knock and plead) initiative of Pres. Rodrigo Duterte in an effort to eliminate the illegal drug industry in the country. Throughout the Philippines, hundreds of thousands of individuals turned themselves in under the Oplan Tokhang. In Ozamiz, more than a thousand had done the same. Parojinog said giving people legitimate means to earn a living is the best way for them to turn away from “I understand people are into drug selling due to poverty. This (livelihood) is our answer to their needs,” he said during the turn-over of the livelihood project to the second batch of “Tokhang” responders held at the City Hall grounds recently. Parojinog said once the livelihood program takes off, more packages will be given to those who are interested in starting their own business the legal way. So far, the beneficiaries were given what livelihood to undertake, among them, pig dispersal, rolling store, backyard gardening, and livestock raising. For her part, Vice Mayor Nova Princess Parojinog said the challenge for the beneficiaries is how to sustain the livelihood given to them. “This is a test of discipline, how they can take care of the business enterprise given to them,” she said, adding the Tokhang responders who have availed of the livelihood package will be monitored and if further assistance is needed, the city government will extend it to them. For Amalita Antonio, 29, of Barangay Triunfo, the rolling store given to her and live-in partner Kenneth Sarmiento will help them start a new life with their five children. Antonio was a seller for a year who was forced to go into dealing in shabu due to financial hardship.

READ MORE
Region 10 campus journalists bag awards, rank 6th in NSPC

January 30, 2017

PAGADIAN CITY - Northern Mindanao campus journalists set a 10-year best sixth-place in individual contests ranking among 18 regions during the National Schools Press Conference, January 22-25, this year at Saint Columban College here. “Obviously, we have improved a lot,” said Department of Education 10 regional director Allan G. Farnazo, after the 286-strong Region 10 delegation received 30 individual and group contest awards. DepEd records would show the best performance ever for Region 10 was when she ranked third overall in individual events in the 2006 NSPC in Kalibo, Aklan. Once again, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) or Region IV-A, took the overall NSPC championship for the fifth consecutive year. Individual Awards This year, 13 of the recognitions came from individual contests, the highest of which came from sports writing and in copy reading and headline writing while the rest in news, editorial, and science writing events as well as in editorial cartooning and photojournalism. Sports writers Jeriza Joy Cabasag of Calamba National Comprehensive High School, Misamis Occidental and Mary Grace Lourdes Gorre of Ozamiz City National High School, Ozamiz City excelled in Filipino and English categories, respectively, in a field of 54 contestants. Valencia City Central School pupil Frenchie Jyne Panares also topped the Filipino category of copy reading and headline writing. Another NSPC winner in sports writing was Rico Leibling of Yumbing National High School, Camiguin who took the second spot in English category. Bukidnon’s Capitan Bayong campus, an annex of Impasugong National High School produced her first-ever national winner through Trishia Mae Arias who captured the 2nd spot in photojournalism Secondary English. Three other NSPC qualifiers in copy reading and headline writing were among winners: Preach Love Paulican of Mountain View College, Valencia City, 4th place in English elementary; Christine Madjos of Tangub City National Comprehensive High School, 6th place in Filipino secondary; and Jerome Aparri of Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology, 7th place in English secondary. In news writing, Earl Joy Lopina of Yumbing National High School, Mambajao, Camiguin, who was a second-place winner(English, secondary) in last year’s NSPC in Koronadal, settled for 6th place while Prince One Tala of Tangub City Central School took the 4th spot in Filipino elementary. Another back-to-back winner is Remuel dela Cruz of Bukidnon’s Kalilangan National High School who, from last year’s first-place award dipped to 6th this time in editorial cartooning Filipino while another Bukidnon-based cartoonist in Filipino Zarnico Fedly Ibo of Cabanglasan Elementary School clipped the 7th spot. Three other NSPC winners are from Ozamiz City Schools Division, the overall champion during the 2016 Regional Schools Press Conference: Ozamiz City Central School-Sped Center’s Rosel L. Potestas, 2nd in science writing Filipino, and Christine Angela Ligutom, 7th place in editorial English, while Diane Nicole N. Ytac of Ozamiz City National High School, was 6th in photojournalism Filipino. Group Awards In the same reaction, Farnazo said he has seen “a big improvement in the passion and commitment of the advisors” and such was manifested in the results, not only in individual but also in collaborative publishing, radio broadcasting and television newscasting competitions. Cagayan de Oro City-based Gusa Regional Science High School won in four seven-member group events her students participated in: third in collaborative publishing, Filipino category; fifth in TV newscasting, English; seventh in TV newscasting, Filipino; and second in online publishing, Filipino. Last year, Gusa RSHS collaborative team in Filipino also harvested national awards. Meanwhile, Ozamiz City National High School’s radio broadcasting English and Filipino teams, also composed of seven members each, harvested six awards including 4th overall radio production in English. Ozamiz City Central School-Sped Center’s Filipino radio broadcasting bagged three awards, including 7th overall in radio production.

READ MORE
Comelec receives close to 500,000 voter applications via satellite registration

January 30, 2017

Close to 500,000 individuals are looking to register for the forthcoming Oct. 23 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Elections, the Commission on Election (Comelec) said on Wednesday. The poll body reported that they have received a total of 490,892 applications in satellite registration centers nationwide for the period of more than two months since the registration started. “A total of 490,892 applications for registration have been received for a period of nine weeks, from November 2016 to January 2017, during the ongoing satellite registration of voters nationwide,” the Comelec said in a statement. Data revealed that a total of 81,318 applications have been received from regular registrants; while another 72,745 applications are for the SK. Aside from voter registration, the Comelec also received applications for transfer, reactivation, correction/change, reinstatement, and inclusion of records in the list of voters. The poll body through Resolution 10166 has directed all city and municipal Election Officers (EOs) to intensify the conduct of satellite registration by holding at least two or more in every barangay. The figure does not include those that have been filing their application for voter registration at the local Offices of Election Officers (OEOs) since November 7, 2016. The Election Registration Board (ERB) will be the one to decide whether to approve/disapprove the application for their inclusion to the list of voters. The continuing voter registration will run until April 29, 2017 except on April 13 and 14. The Comelec is looking to register additional five million voters for the coming elections, including three million for the village polls and two million youth voters. (PNA) BNB/FGP/EBP

READ MORE
NGCP reaches out to CDO flood victims

January 27, 2017

THE National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) activated its relief operation last Friday in Cagayan de Oro City to reach out to victims of the January 16 flooding. NGCP regional public affairs officer Mae Roselle Curiano said that the privately-owned company was able to give plastic containers of relief goods to 300 families in barangay Carmen covered court. The contents of each plastic container are the following – first aid kit, shirt, flashlight, slippers, toothpaste, spoon and fork, toothpaste, disposable cup, shampoo, canned goods, rice, sanitary pad, blanket, water, toothbrush, underwear and powdered energy drink. Curiano hoped that these goods could help in the immediate needs of the flood victims whose houses were damaged when urban flooding hit the main and suburban thoroughfares of the city last January 16. In the past year, NGCP was able to assist 3,000 families in Isabela, Cagayan and Aurora in the aftermath of typhoon Lawin last October. Two months later, the company was able to help 500 families in Naga City in the aftermath of typhoon Nina. Just earlier this month, it was able to help 70 families in Butuan City following the rage of typhoon Auring. Beyond its post-calamity operations, NGCP is planning to hold disaster preparedness seminars in its host communities. Curiano said they are planning to hold such seminars in Cagayan de Oro, Bukidnon, Agusan del Norte, Bicol and Cagayan within this year.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.