northern mindanao

LGU: SAAD sparks San Fernando’s agri dev’t

June 4, 2020

After her town received P3.2 million worth of agricultural assistance from the Department of Agriculture-Region 10 (DA-10) Special Area for Agricultural Development (SAAD-10) Program in 2018 and 2019, San Fernando, Bukidnon Municipal Agriculturist, Coleen Alva C. Ambos acknowledged SAAD as instrument to the town’s agricultural development. “SAAD sparks agricultural development in San Fernando. The program has great impact in our effort to uplift the living condition of our farmers,” Ambos accounted in an interview during SAAD projects monitoring in the town. Due to high poverty incidence rate, San Fernando was among the 13 municipalities in Bukidnon included in the SAAD program of the Department of Agriculture in 2018. Since then, the LGUs started to receive SAAD interventions and assistance to support the towns’ priority agri-livelihood projects. SAAD interventions include provisions of hybrid corn seeds with complete fertilizers, provision of high value commercial crops seedlings (cacao and coffee), provision of vegetable seeds with organic fertilizers and garden tools, provision of swine and drugs and biologics and construction of Multi Crop Drying Pavement (MCDP). “Our SAAD projects have been smoothly implemented. Right now we are looking forward to grow the projects to benefit more of our farming constituents. Our swine recipients are now due to pledge 3 piglets to be handed to our next-in-line beneficiaries. This is our strategy to sustain the project,” Ambos shared disclosing her office is now heightening their efforts to expand the SAAD-funded projects. The SAAD farmer-beneficiaries in baranagay Tugop have organized themselves into a DOLE-registered association. The group is eager to start their association’s business after the COVID-19 pandemic subsides. “SAAD projects had helped poor farmers like us to be productive and help our families. Our SAAD drying center (MCDP) will be turned over hopefully in June. We will start its operation soon after, so that our association can already start earning out of the project,” said Arlyn Ananangkil, Tugop SAAD Farmers Association’s President. There were a total of 50 SAAD farmer-beneficiaries in San Fernando. “Our long term goal is to assist our SAAD farmers to come up with their own product and convert their farms into farm tourism sites. We can provide them training in terms of processing and marketing of the product and link them to other government agencies (for product development),” Ambos vowed. While calling for the beneficiaries’ unyielding persistence and cooperation, the young and visionary municipal agriculturist commits to provide the farmers the needed technical assistance to make them well-adopted to the agri-livelihood projects of SAAD. “Along the way we will encounter tribulation. But this will not stop us to serve our farmers and build them a better community,” Ambos concluded, expressing the LGU’s appreciation of DA’s agricultural assistance to the town.#(ATalib)

READ MORE
Salons open in first day of MGCQ in Iligan

June 2, 2020

ILIGAN CITY ----- A modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) has been declared in Iligan City starting June 1. Following the guidelines of the national Inter-Agency Task Force of the Emerging Infectious Disease, Iligan City Mayor Celso Regencia issued on Sunday Executive Order number 57 citing guidelines to follow within the city. The provisions include opening of salons provided owners abide with health protocols. As early as 8:00AM, a salon at Quezon Avenue was already open. Minutes after the doors rolled up, customers started coming in. "Mga sobra sa ten na to ganina gusto mosulod. Kasagaran magpaputol og buhok, ang uban magpa manicure-pedicure," Anna Kundiman, cashier of Hair Goals Salon said. (More than ten costumers were here when we opened at 8am. Some of them want their hair cut, some want manicure-pedicure services.) But the salon is not yet ready to serve them all since the staff were still cleaning and disinfecting the area and their equipment inside. They were still preparing a footbath and disinfection area to comply with health guidelines. "Abog pa kaayo. Duha ka bulan man gud mi closed sugod March 17, karon pa gyud mi nakabalik," Jay-ar Tamparong, one of the staff, said. To observe the social distancing guideline, Hair Goals will accept only ten clients at a time instead of 20 which is their normal capacity. Of the nine staff, the management decided to allow five, including the cashier to report everyday. "Magpuli-puli lang kada adlaw ang upat ka staff para duna nay income tanan," said Kundiman, who sold desserts online during the closure of the establishment. "We were able to receive the P5,000 cash assistance from DOLE (Department of Labor and Employment). Part of it was used as capital for my online business during the community quarantine," Kundiman shared. "I used my DOLE cash assistance in making aquariums and sold them online during the community quarantine. It was my way of earning while waiting for the reopening of the salon," Tamparong said. A nearby salon however has been prepared even before the lifting of the 'stricter' MGCQ. Tess Andos, owner of Stylist's Salon, said her workers have been working since last month to repaint and re-arrange the interior  of the salon because she wanted a new look to her business after the community quarantine. "Dugay-dugay gyud nahuman kay dili tanang trabahante makagawas kada adlaw kay naka-schedule man ang ilang home quarantine pass," Andos said. (It took sometime for us to finish because not all workers could go out everyday since their home quarantine pass are scheduled.) To comply with DOH health protocols, Andos has provided her staff a complete set of personal protective gear sewn by a local dressmaker: overall suit, head cover, faceshield, facemask and gloves. This is aside from putting in a footbath and offering the costumers alcohol for disinfecting. "Aside from making sure of the safety of our costumers, we are also making sure our staff are safe. I am not allowing them to use cloth mask, I prepared boxes of surgical facemasks for their use," Andos said. Despite the social distancing, the management is allowing 10 staff to report daily since the pedicure-manicure services has been separated from their hair services. "We have massage area upstairs. Since massage services are not yet allowed to open, we converted the area into a nail department," Andos said. Stylist's salon's first customer Liezel Seares had her nails cleaned. She arrived an hour after the salon opened. "This is far better than I expected. I only expected a footbath and sanitizer. Seeing the staff who handles me in a complete PPE makes me comfortable," Seares said.

READ MORE
NDA-NorMin shares bottled fresh milk to DA-10 frontliners

May 30, 2020

CdeO City, May 29 - The DA-National Dairy Authority - Northern Mindanao Department (DA-NDA-NMD) has given 300 bottles of fresh flavored milk to the DA-Regional Field Office 10 (DA-RFO 10) frontliners. DA-RFO 10 Regional Technical Director for Operations Carlota S. Madriaga received the provisions from DA-NDA-NMD Project Development Officer IV Debbie U. de San Miguel amounting to P10,500. The bottles of fresh milk in melon and choco variants are among the products of Northern Mindanao Federation of Dairy Cooperatives, popularly known for selling under its brand name, Highland Fresh Dairy Products. NDA, an attached agency of DA is responsible for the development of the dairy industry in the country. They purchased fresh milk to support the personnel of its mother agency, including those frontliners from other attached bureaus and agencies, in its collective battle against the COVID-19 pandemic. In particular, de San Miguel expressed, that drinking fresh cow’s milk will help boost the immunity among the agency’s personnel, especially amid the ongoing health crisis. 

READ MORE
Army soldier wounded in a clash with rebels in Iligan City

May 30, 2020

ILIGAN CITY ----- An Army soldier of the 4th Mechanized Infantry Battalion was wounded after a 30-minute fire fight with suspected members of the New People’s Army (NPA), high noon on Wednesday (May 27) in Sitio Pudog, Barangay Mainit, here.  Lt. Col. Domingo Dulay, commander of the 4th Mechanized Battalion, said the troops responded after they were tipped off by residents that members of the alleged NPA were extorting foodstuffs and money from the community.  Dulay, who did not disclose the identity of the wounded soldier as of this writing, said he is now in a stable condition in one of the hospitals in Iligan City.  “The wounded soldier is now in stable condition while our  troops continue our search and conduct pursuit operation against the fleeing members of the rebels. The troops are confident that some NPA members were also wounded in the clash due to  blood stains found in the encounter site,” Dulay said.  Dulay said the rebels might have suffered from lack of food that pushed them to extort from the residents who are also affected by the limited movement caused by COVID19 pandemic.  “The government has repeatedly called on the members of the NPA to avail of the government’s Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP) in order for them to come back to the folds of the law and live peacefully,” Dulay added.  The AFP is closely working with the local government of Iligan City and the members of the City Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (CTF-ELCAC) to ensure that services of the government reaches the far-flung barangays like Barangay Mainit and protect the community from NPA influence.  In 2019, the barangay council of Mainit passed a resolution denouncing the presence of the NPA and declaring them persona non grata.  Brigadier General Facundo Palafox IV, Commander of the 2nd Mechanized Infantry Brigade that has operational jurisdiction in Lanao del Norte and Iligan City, said that the AFP will continue to pursue the  insurgents wherever they are; and will execute the mandate to protect the people from all forms of threats.  “We call on all members of the NPA to surrender and join the mainstream society. You all have been deceived but the government is willing to help rebuild your lives together with your families,” Palafox said.

READ MORE
New 4th ID chief to steer the wheel for peace and development in Caraga and NorMin

May 30, 2020

In a simple Change of Command Ceremony, Major General Andres Castor Centino AFP officially assumed command as the new Commander of the 4th Infantry “Diamond” Division, Philippine Army promising to sustain the government’s campaign to end the local communist armed conflict. The ceremony was held at the 4ID’s Alcoseba Hall in Camp Evangelista, Patag, Cagayan de Oro City on Friday, May 29, 2020. MGen Centino addressed his subordinate commanders to be up to the standard of excellence that 4ID is known for, and to work as a team with dedication and professionalism. The 4ID has gained headway in the campaign against the communists armed group but cited that there is a need to do more to finish the task of serving the people and protecting our territory. LtGen Gilbert I Gapay, the Commanding General of the Philippine Army, presided the turnover of leadership from the outgoing 4ID Commander, MGen Franco Nemesio M Gacal AFP, to the incoming 4ID Chief. The ceremony was also attended by LtGen Jose Faustino Jr AFP, Commander of the Eastern Mindanao Command, brigade and battalion commanders under the 4ID. According to MGen Centino, ending insurgency takes more than just confronting the armed component of the Communists Terrorist Group (CTG). It needs the collaboration among partner agencies. “I enjoin our partners in the civilian bureaucracy to continue our collaborative efforts in harnessing our skills and capabilities to address the scourge of insurgency," Centino bared. The new commander assures the people of Northern Mindanao and Caraga regions that under his leadership, as the newly installed 4ID chief, he will continue to be their reliable partner in the implementation of Executive Order Number 70. “To our stakeholders in Northern Mindanao and Caraga region, inter-agency partners, local government executives, officials, and constituents, be assured that 4ID will continue to be your committed partner to serve our people and secure our community against the local communist threats, including the threat posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be your reliable partner in nation building in times of peace and in times of calamities and we will exert more effort to empower people and our communities especially in areas affected by conflict,” Centino added. Centino assures the outgoing 4ID Commander, “we will put premium in the improvement of training systems, leader’s development program, Non-Commissioned Officers empowerment, Reserve Force development, and Civilian Human Resource Component strengthening.” “I will sustain your gains and ensure that what you have set out to do shall come into fruition,” addressed Centino to Gacal. During the ceremony, accomplishment of the outgoing 4ID chief were presented. Under MGen Gacal’s leadership for more than a year, the 4ID were able to clear 151 CNT affected barangays; recovery of 351 high-powered and 386 low-powered firearms; seizure of 205 enemy camps; neutralization of 93 NPA personalities thru encounters; surrender of 1,807 CNTs; withdrawal of support from the Communist Terrorist Group (CTG) of 4,754 Underground Mass Organization (UGMO) members; and the activation of 10 CAA companies that eventually led to the clearing of Guerilla Front 14. “As the new division commander, we will engage the enemy hard and this will be my top operational priority. We will brace for the challenge ahead. Considering the limited time, we will be relentless in our pursuit against the insurgents. To the Diamond troopers, follow me, and I will lead you in winning the peace in the regions of Caraga and Northern Mindanao,” MGen Centino concluded.

READ MORE
DA-ACPC readies partners for KAYA program implementation

May 29, 2020

Malaybalay City, May 28 - The Department of Agriculture-Agricultural Credit Policy Council (DA-ACPC) Provincial Management Officer Kristine Cyvill Gregorio conducts briefing on Kapital Access for Young Agripreneurs (KAYA) Program to President Jesus Antonio G. Derije of Central Mindanao University, Musuan, Bukidnon and Regional Technical Director for Operations Carlota S. Madriaga of DA-RFO 10. KAYA, a new loan program of the DA-ACPC will finance capital requirements of start-up or existing agri-based enterprises of young entrepreneurs and agri-fishery graduates aged 18-30 years old. Each borrower may loan up to P500,000 which is payable for five years with zero interest rate, with not more than 3.5 percent management fee thru partner lending conduit GFIs, rural banks, coop banks and viable NGOs. DA-ACPC will engage government financial institutions (GFIs) such as the Land Bank of the Philippines (LBP) and the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) and non-GFIs to implement said program. Interested applicants may contact hotline numbers 09065055442/09474308576 of the Agribusiness and Marketing Assistance Division (AMAD) of DA-RFO 10 or thru 09559557333 of ACPC. # (ATCabig)

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.