Family buried in DavSur town, 2 died and 3 rescued

THE REGION
October 17, 2019

SHARE

 A family living in a far-flung community in Barangay Malawanit in the municipality of Magsaysay, Davao del Sur was buried in a landslide shortly after the magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck Wednesday evening, killing the mother and her nine-month-old son.
Anthony Allada, information officer of Magsaysay town, said that responders were able to rescue the father, identified as Joyjoy Lakay, and his two other children. But the rescue team failed to save the mother, 22-year-old Arjean Abondo, who was still cuddling her baby, Jayjay, when retrieved from among the debris.
The rescued family members were immediately brought to the National Hospital in Digos City for proper treatment.
Allada earlier confirmed that there were three recorded fatalities in Magsaysay, one of them two-year-old Chris Joy Chuan Roda, of Barangay San Isidro, who was pinned to death when the kitchen collapsed.
The Roda family tried to bring her to the Gonzales Maranan Medical Center Inc. in neighboring Digos City but failed to reach the hospital alive.
As of 7 a.m. Thursday, Allada said 21 residents were brought to different medical facilities in nearby areas—in Bansalan municipality in Davao del Sur, and in the cities of Digos and Davao.
Many of those injured suffered from bruises and wounds on their feet, but a survivor had lost an arm after a concrete wall collapsed, according to Allada.
“Most residents in the Poblacion were shocked and traumatized after the earthquake… Some residents also would not want to go back yet to their homes because of fear of the aftershocks. They slept on the streets, and brought tents and folding beds,” he added.
Allada noted that several aftershocks were felt. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) reported 170 aftershocks as of 1 p.m. Thursday.
Several houses in the Poblacion were totally and partially damaged, he added.
Magsaysay Mayor Arthur Davin had already announced a suspension of work and classes both in public and private schools at all levels.
He said municipal hall workers had already been advised not go inside the town hall, which had incurred partial damages.
In a report released by the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, some government buildings, schools, and houses had sustained damages.
The Bala National High School, San Isidro National High Schools, and Doña Salud High School in Magsaysay, and Cor Jesu College in Digos City had incurred partial damages. At least 10 houses in Magsaysay were partially damaged while one house was totally destroyed.


RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.