cagayan de oro

73 OFG-compliant PUVs deployed in Northern Mindanao

July 18, 2019

The deployment of the units highlighted the launching of the Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program (PUVMP) in the region held at SM City Cagayan de Oro on Monday, July 15.   Among those featured was a Euro-4 compliant double-decker tri-axle bus which will ply the Cagayan De Oro-Bukidnon route.   DOTr Secretary Arthur P. Tugade who led the launching was amazed by the amenities of the bus saying it is the first time that he saw a double-decker bus with wifi, tracking system, CCTV, and other amenities plying a long-distance route.   In his message, he instructed the LTFRB in the region to ensure that transport operators and cooperatives follow the mandate of the modernization program.   In order to soften the impact and assist small operators who will be affected by the PUVMP, he said a special loan program with Landbank and DBP is being proposed which will provide access to operators and drivers to adequate funding.   Tugade was accompanied by LTFRB Chairman Martin Delgra III and LTFRB Region 10 Director Aminoden Guroduring the inspection of the units.   Delgra thanked transport operators and cooperatives in the region for supporting the PUV modernization program. He said the transport coops are the backbone of the modernization program which aims to bring commuters to their destinations safely and comfortably using modernized and environment-friendly vehicles.    The PUVMP is a flagship initiative of the Duterte administration that envisions a restructured, modern, well-managed and environmentally sustainable public transport sector. It aims to make public transport safe and comfortable for commuters and drivers alike. 

READ MORE
Flood recedes in 6 Lanao Norte towns

July 18, 2019

Titus Velez of the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Northern Mindanao said many of the 7,644 persons affected by the flashflood had already returned home Wednesday afternoon. “There was no rain experienced today in the entire province of Lanao del Norte,” Velez said. Last Wednesday waters from the mountains of Lanao del Norte rushed down the rivers to inundate the towns of Tubod, Lala, Salvador, Kapatagan, Sapad and Sultan Naga Dimaporo. “The flood waters were similar to that of typhoon Vinta of 2017. It came rushing down from the mountains,” Joy Garcia, a Lala resident said. Garcia said flood waters began rising at 5am Wednesday and by 3pm had inundated the town. Rosauro Arnel Gonzales, of OCD Region 10, said mandatory evacuation started as early as 12 noon on Wednesday in areas they have identified as flood-prone. He said six houses were totally destroyed in Sultan Naga Dimaporo. He said classes in all levels were suspended by 9am Wednesday but will resume on Thursday.

READ MORE
Some 70 NPA members in Talakag, Bukidnon return to folds of law

July 17, 2019

The mass surrender of twenty-six (26) Milisya ng Bayan (local NPA Platoon) members, two Sangay sa Partido sa Lokalidad (SPL) members, and forty-two Hingpit na Organisadong Masa (HOM) members took place during a community dialogue held in Brgy San Rafael.   The NPA members and supporters are residents of Brgys San Rafael, Indulang, Tikalaan, all of Talakag. They were presented to Hon. Factura, Mayor of Talakag, Bukidnon during the activity.   Commander of 65IB, LtCol Benjamin Pajarito orchestrated the CSP immersion in Talakag, Bukidnon as part of the efforts of the recently activated Region X Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict.   The dismantling of rebel organization in those barangays will pave the way for the implementation of programs and projects under the Convergence Areas for Peace and Development (CAPDev) programs by the LGU and the regional line agencies in Region X. 65IB will submit the results of the needs assessment it gathered throughout the CSP immersion period.   “The dismantling of the CPP-NDF-NPA local organizations in Talakag breaks the link of the terrorists NPA with the local residents. The people’s withdrawal of support and rejection of violence effectively isolated the NPA terrorists from the communities,” 

READ MORE
“70 NPA members, supporters pledge allegiance to government in Talakag, Bukidnon”

July 16, 2019

The mass surrender happened during a community dialogue held in brgy San Rafael, Talakag, Bukidnon last July 14, 2019. The NPA members and supporters are residents of Brgys San Rafael, Indulang, and Tikalaan, all of Talakag. They were presented by 1LT HEREDIA to Hon. Factura, Mayor of Talakag, Bukidnon during the activity who in turn led the Oath of Allegiance of the former rebels (FR). "Sakit kaayu sa ako dughan nga nalambigit sa pag supporta sa mao nga grupo kay nagatuo ko nga tinuod ang ilang pasalig nga tagaan me ug bugas, pero kana tanan walay kamatuoran" said nanay Helen, one of those who surrendered. "Dako among pasalamat sa Philippine Army nga nagpasabot sa amoa kung nganu nahimo kami nga supporter sa terroristang NPA, ug nagtudlo sa amo unzaon pag likay ug pag abog sa mga terrorista para maka pamuyo kami ug malinawon uban sa among pamilya" said Ka Luming, another former rebel. "Walay nidaog sa pakikipag away. Instead baril ug bala ang inyu gina atiman, lupa ang inyung tikadon kay kini klaro nga naa moy maayung maani para sa inyung tagsa tagsanga pamilya. Atong panggaon ang atong kaugalingon, magbaton ug respeto sa kaugalingon ug matag usa kanato ug manginabuhi nga naay kahadlok sa atong labaw na makagagahum. Kung kita magpadayun magpailad sa mga teroristang grupo, ang atung lugar magpabiling pobre hantud na sa inyung mga kaliwat" Hon. Vergito Factura added. LtCol Benjamin Pajarito, Commanding Officer of 65IB, orchestrated the CSP immersion in Talakag, Bukidnon as part of the efforts of the recently activated Region X Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict.   The dismantling of rebel organization in those barangays will pave the way for the implementation of programs and projects under the Convergence Areas for Peace and Development (CAPDev) programs by the LGU and the regional line agencies in Region X. 65IB will submit the results of the needs assessment it gathered throughout the CSP immersion period. Immediately after the oath taking, they conducted peace rally to show their plight to the people having been victims of the promises and false hopes of the NPA. This is indicative of their desires to live a peaceful life, and become productive members of society. The dismantling of the CPP-NDF-NPA local organizations in Talakag breaks the link of the terrorists NPA with the local residents. The peoples' withdrawal of support and rejection of violence effectively isolated the NPA terrorists from communities.

READ MORE
4 NPAs killed in Agusan Sur skirmishes

July 16, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MindaNews / 16 July) – Government troops killed four members of the New People’s Army following a series of skirmishes in Agusan del Sur over the weekend. Col. Allan Hambala, commander of the Army’s 401st Infantry Brigade, said their troops caught the rebels foraging for food in Barangay Brook, Bunawan town in Agusan del Sur.  Hambala said the first clash occurred last Saturday and followed by another skirmish last Sunday.  He said they recovered four assault rifles (AK47 and M16) and hundreds of rounds of ammunition from the rebels.  Hambala said there were no casualties on their side.  He credited the success of their operations to the program dubbed Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (ECLIP) that was designed to isolate the rebels from tribal communities.  “Without the efforts of the residents themselves in giving us timely and accurate information, we would not have pinpointed the exact location of the rebels,” Hambala said. He said it was the villagers who tipped soldiers of the rebels’ location. Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana introduced ECLIP, the new counter-insurgency program to replace the old campaign strategies in the Armed Forces of the Philippines.  The new campaign aims to isolate the rebels from the communities by enticing their sympathizers or their mass base to surrender or go back to the fold of government.  ECLIP centralized all government agencies to provide benefits for “the reintegration of the tribal communities.”  It offers cash benefits ranging from P25,000 to P80,000 implemented by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) or agencies like PhilHealth.  Col. Eugene Osias, of the AFP Eastern Command, said a total of 2,699 NPA supporters have already availed the program and have disavowed the rebels since January this year.  Osias said because of this, the rebels lost several of their sanctuaries or villages who were sympathetic to them.  “Their guerilla forces have lost the initiative in the battlefield,” he said.  Maj. Gen. Nemesio Gacal, chief of the Army’s 4th Infantry Division, said the target of the program are the mass bases of the NPA that have provided them support for a long time. “The NPA can replace their armed regulars anytime but their mass supporters are irreplaceable,” he pointed out. The New People’s Army in Mindanao has the military’s claims. Dereka Magtanggol, spokesperson of the NPA in North Central Mindanao, said Lorenzana’s and the military’s claims that 11,000 NPA rebels have surrendered are a farce. Magtanggol said those who surrendered are actually civilians forced by the AFP without evidence to present themselves as “rebels” and to “surrender” under pain of constant harassment and threat “We have documented cases of military forcing residents to surrender in Bukidnon and Davao Oriental, “ Magtanggol said. (Froilan Gallardo / MindaNews) 

READ MORE
Army lauds locals for promptly reporting NPA presence

July 15, 2019

The locals sought the help of the Army based in the area and the Army quickly responded, LTC Roy Anthony Derilo, commanding officer of the 58 Infantry Battalion, said.   Elements of the Army’s 58 Infantry Battalion encountered around 20 terrorist NPA around 6:30 in the morning of July 12, on an uninhabited hinter area of Brgy Mat-I, Claveria, Misamis Oriental.   The encounter that lasted 10 minutes resulted in one Wounded in Action from the government side while bloodstains marked the withdrawal route of terrorists.   The wounded soldier was immediately evacuated and is now in stable condition.   Left by the terrorists in the encounter site were seven backpacks containing personal belongings and notebooks, two bandoleers with seven loaded magazines, a hand grenade and one anti-personnel mine.     “The encounter manifests the importance of community support in the attainment of lasting peace,” LTC Derilo said.   “ It clearly shows that they embrace the development brought forth by Convergence Areas for Peace and Development program and the improvement it brings to their life,” LTC Derilo added.    “We enjoin every Misamisnon to support our efforts to end local communist armed conflict, LTC Derilo concluded. 

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.