795 new dengue cases reported in NorMin

THE REGION
August 20, 2019

SHARE

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MindaNews/20 August) — At least 795 new suspected dengue cases were reported in various hospitals across Northern Mindanao over the weekend, health officials citing new data said Tuesday.

Dr. David Mendoza, head of the Regional Epidemiology, Surveillance and Disaster Response Unit (RESDRU) of DOH Northern Mindanao, said the recent batch of patients brought to 17,701 the number of dengue patients to 17,701 as of August 17.

Mendoza said that last week the number of cases was pegged at only 16,905 patients.

“There are still no signs that the dengue cases are going down. We are still in the danger zone,” he said.

Topping the list is Bukidnon with 7,120 cases; followed by Misamis Oriental with 2,853 cases; Lanao del Norte, 2, 514 cases; Misamis Occidental, 1837 cases; and the island province of Camiguin, 270 cases.

Cagayan de Oro had 1,978 cases, including several children from middle-class families. Iligan City had 1,129 cases.

Mendoza said the number of deaths rose to 70 in Northern Mindanao despite a relentless campaign by the local government units to flush out breeding grounds of the mosquitoes.

In Cagayan de Oro, its local government launched “Oplan Kontra Dengue” to enlist the help of all barangays to clean their backyards and drainage canals on Tuesday afternoon.

Dr. Ramon Nery, chief of the government-run JR Borja General Hospital said they have to open more wards to accommodate the dengue patients.

The Cagayan de Oro health office said the dengue cases in the city rose to 1,964 cases this week from the 1,780 cases reported last week.

City Health Officer Dr. Fe Bongcas identified 10 barangays with the highest dengue incidence namely, Canitoan, Lumbia, Balulang, Lapasan, Patag, Iponan, Bugo, Bulua, Macabalan and Macasandig. (Froilan Gallardo/MindaNews)


RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.