cagayan de oro

IEC on peace, security set on June 20 in MSU Naawan

June 18, 2019

There will be two (2) sessions to be conducted during the IEC and each session will be attended by about 500 Fourth Year High School students of the university.  Resource persons will be coming from the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA)-10, the 4thInfantry Division of the Philippine Army, the Police Regional Office 10 of the Philippine National Police (PRO-10, PNP) and the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency Regional Office 10 (NICA, RO-10).  The conduct of the IEC is part of the advocacy of the various government agencies to enhance the awareness of the student and youth sector on various peace and security concerns and spare them from the ill-effects of these problems.   Among the topics that will be discussed include Drug Abuse Prevention Education, Community Policing, Preventing/Countering Violent Extremism, Recruitment Strategy of the NPA. There will also be some sharing of experiences by former rebels to serve as encouragement for the students not to get involved in any militant organizations and illegal activities.   The 4thInfantry Division will also set up their LED Van to showcase the programs and activities of the Philippine Army while an Accordion Board containing photo exhibits will also be posted outside the venue for other students to see and become aware of the ongoing activity.    Moreover, PDEA will distribute reading materials/pamphlets on how to prevent getting hooked in illegal drugs. (PR)  

READ MORE
Ph, SoKor agree to ship 4.63M kilo waste from Villanueva back to Korea

June 17, 2019

South Korean Director General of the Ministry of Environment Young Dae Jeung presented these proposals to the Philippine officials during a meeting at the Mindanao International Container Terminal in Tagoloan town, Misamis Oriental on Thursday. Jeung offered Philippine officials three proposals: burn the wastes by incinerator that would be constructed by South Korea or bury the wastes in a landfill to be constructed also by South Korea. Aileen Lucero, national coordinator of the Ecowaste Coalition, said Philippine officials rejected out right the first two proposals and opted for the third proposal which was to repatriate the garbage back to South Korean in accordance with \ the Basel Convention. “We laud the firm stance of customs and environmental officials in the region to have the illegal traffic waste re-exported to its source in South Korea.  The Basel Convention imposes an obligation on the State of Export to ensure the return of wastes deemed to constitute ‘illegal traffic’,” Lucero said. Lucero said that under this convention, the  obligation of the State of Export to manage the illegal traffic waste “in an environmentally sound manner may not under any circumstances be transferred to the State of Import or transit.”     The Philippine officials were led by Customs port collector John Simon and Rep. Juliet Uy, (1st district, Misamis Oriental) attended the meeting that lasted from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday. Misamis Oriental provincial board member Gerardo Sabal said he also rejected the first two proposals especially since the proposed landfill would be made inside the province. Neither is an incinerator a good idea, Sabal said because it violates the Philippine Clean Air Act of 1999. “Those two proposals are out of question because it will still be constructed in our province,” he said. The household waste in Tagoloan town came in two shipments misdeclared as “plastic synthetic wastes” in July and August 2018. The first shipment of 5,100 tons arrived on July 21, 2018 and was immediately sent to the four-hectare facility of the shipper, Verde Soko, in Sitio Buguac, Barangay Santa Cruz in Tagoloan. The second shipment of 51 container vans loaded with 1,400 tons (1.27 million kilos) arrived in the second week of August last year and was also brought to the same facility. The shipment caused an uproar among local government officials as residents of Sitio Buguac started complaining of foul smell from the facility. On January 14 this year, 51 container vans containing 1,400 tons of garbage were loaded on a cargo ship for return to their port of origin in Pyeongtaek, South Korea Lucero said Philippine and South Korean officials agreed on the third proposal which was to ship the wastes back to Pyeongtaek, its port of origin. She said the Philippines agreed to cover all costs concerning repacking, containerizing, transporting the waste from the Verde Soko facility in Villanueva town to the container port terminal in Tagoloan town; and also customs clearing. Lucero said the South Korean government agreed to shoulder the costs of shipping from the port of Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental to Korea. “Both parties agreed that this incident was caused by an illegal exporter in South Korea and an illegal importer in the Philippines,” she said. The cost of repacking the wastes into sling bags, placing them in container vans and transporting from the Verde Soko facility to the port is estimated to be  P7 million. The shipping costs from the port of Tagoloan to Pyeongtaek, South Korea is  estimated to be P10 million and will be shouldered by their government. Sabal said Verde Soko’s President, Niel Alburo, promised to shoulder the cost of repacking. He said F2 Logistics, the trucking company that brought the wastes to the Verde Soko also agreed to shoulder the cost of transportation. “Their compliance will favor them considerably especially that criminal cases have been filed and warrants for arrests have been issued against them,” Sabal said. The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Northern Mindanao filed criminal charges against Alburo and the directors of Verde Soko, the importer of the wastes.  A court in Misamis Oriental issued arrest warrants against Alburo and seven other company directors for alleged violations of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (RA 10863) and Toxic and Hazardous Waste Act (RA 6969).  Alburo and his co-accused have posted bail for their temporary liberty. 

READ MORE
City dad: Brace independence thru addressing poverty, peace issues

June 14, 2019

Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno urged Kagay-anons to uphold what the great heroes of the country fought for to attain independence by being vigilant at all times during the 121st Independence Day celebration at Kioko Kagawasan, Divisoria, here, June 12.   "We ask ourselves on how to address these basket of issues," Moreno said emphasizing independence must be in the hearts of the people to realize that the independence needed is not only for one's self but also for others.   He further said no matter how rich or powerful some people might be, there are still risks brought about by issues on peace and poverty, and such may eat up their success.   Thus, the mayor urged Kagay-anons to continue on working for security where all people will feel secured in the place where they live in, solidarity where everyone learns to accept diversity, and compassion which strengthens solidarity among people.   The city, as the mayor stressed, has remarkably made the big steps towards achieving such goals. For an instance, Cagayan de Oro City has been named as the pilot area for the creation of the National Resilience Council.   On top of the achievements of the city, Moreno encourages the youth to "build a community much better than we have."   To make the celebration more significant, Moreno, MGen Franco Nemecio Gacal of 4th Infantry Division, and city officials led the raising of the flag with full military honors and executive wreath laying at the Rizal Monument.   Hundreds of eggs modeled after the Philippine map were also displayed and given to the participants of the celebration at Kiosko Kagawasan.

READ MORE
MisOr urges sense of nationalism during Independence Day celeb

June 12, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY,  – The province of Misamis Oriental has urged individuals to move in one direction in one voice, to have a sense of nationalism to achieve the dream of change. Gerardo P. Sabal III, provincial board member, Misamis Oriental highlighted the message of working as one to achieve the desired change during the celebration of 121st Independence Day in Misamis Oriental. He said, “Change comes with a sense of nationalism, not a sense of individualism.” “If we continue to be individualistic in our fervour for change, change will not come. But if we move in one direction, in one voice the change that we have always dreamt of will become a realization,” he added. He explained this change is the development that Mindanao is experiencing right now. “The island of Mindanao has been given opportunity to change to also be a part of development,” he cited. Meanwhile, guest speaker Dr. Lorenzo B. Dinlayan III, professor of Bukidnon State University said we cannot prosper if other sectors are left behind. He explained, one sector that is left behind is the Indigenous People (IP) or the informal settlers. “We have to review our commitments with our Lumads or IPs, who fought and to continue to fight land rights and gender equality,” he said. “We cannot just enjoy the freedom we experience in Misamis Oriental when there are certain sectors in our society we have not given attention,” he added. “We work hand in hand. Be the best that you can be no matter how big or small your responsibility is,” he exclaimed. “Whether you are a governor, mayor, or simply an employee with the lowest salary in the province, then simply be excellent in the duties entrusted to you,” he said. The celebration composed of Wreath Laying spearheaded by Armed Forces of the Philippines 4th Infantry Division, Philippine National Police (PNP), Department of Education, 403rd 58th Infantry battalion and various departments of Misamis Oriental and speeches of invited guests. (JMOR/PIA10)  

READ MORE
DSWD 10 gives aid to Iligan City fire victims

June 3, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY,  --- The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Field Office 10 aided families whose houses were razed off by fire on Wednesday afternoon, May 29 at Purok Matinabangon, Barangay Ubaldo Laya, Iligan City.    As augmentation support to the Local Government Unit of Iligan City, DSWD Field Office 10 provided 195 hygiene kits, 195 kitchen kits, 195 blankets, 195 malong, and 195 mosquito nets and three family food packs for each of the reported 195 families affected.    DSWD Undersecretary for operations, Aimee S. Torrefranca-Neri and DSWD Field Office 10 Regional Director Mari-Flor Dollaga-Libang supervised the relief distribution.    As initial response, the LGU has provided food packs and sleeping kits while some private groups gave relief assistance to the fire survivors.    Other offices and national government agencies particularly Department of Trade and Industry, Department of Health, and Office of Senator Bong Goalso responded and supported these families.    The homeless survivors are temporarily staying at the barangay covered court in Purok Matinabangon. (Charmaine P. Tadlas/DSWD10)

READ MORE
Normin RTF-ELCAC kicks off Provincial Consultations for CAPDev

May 28, 2019

Cagayan de Oro City – The Regional Task Force on Ending Local Communist Armed Conflict Technical Working Group (RTF-ELCAC TWG) in Northern Mindanao commenced a series of Provincial Cascading on EO 70 and Validation of Needs and Programs, Projects and Activities (PPAs) Workshop for the Convergence Areas for Peace and Development (CAPDev) on 22 May 2019 in Bukidnon.   The activity aims to orient and increase awareness of local stakeholders on Executive Order 70 (s. 2018) and the CAPDev program, which is the region’s banner program to address the root causes of insurgencies, internal disturbances and tensions, and other armed conflicts and threats for inclusive development.    The program institutionalizes the “Whole-of-Nation Approach” through focused, coordinated, and sustained delivery of basic services and social development packages by government in poor, conflict-affected, and geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas in the region.   It also aims to enlist the support of local government units (LGUs) at the provincial/municipality/city and barangay levels, government agencies, and civil society organizations in the entire CAPDev program implementation.   The activity serves as venue to validate the needs of ELCAC/CAPDev areas and the corresponding programs, projects and activities (PPAs) proposed by regional line agencies for FY 2020 for these areas.   RDC-X Chairperson and Bukidnon Governor Jose Ma. Zubiri expressed his full support for EO 70 and CAPDev and thanked the regional partners, local government units (LGUs), the security sector, and other stakeholders for their strong commitment to achieve peace and development in the province.   NEDA-X Regional Director Mylah Aurora Faye B. Cariño shared the CAPDev program’s objectives, focus areas, stakeholders, and implementing mechanisms.  She also said that Bukidnon accounted for the largest share (59 percent or PhP25.26 billion) of the proposed FY 2020 budget for the focus areas.   The activity had two parts: a) plenary presentation on the salient features of EO 70, NTF/RTF-ELCAC, CAPDev, and the role of LGUs in localizing EO 70; and the province’s peace and security situationer; and b) workshop session to identify and validate community needs and proposed PPAs of the ELCAC/CAPDev areas.   Provincial Cascading on EO 70 and CAPDev to the provinces of Misamis Occidental, Lanao del Norte and Misamis Oriental are set on 30 and 31 May and 3 June 2019, respectively. The DILG-led Line of Efforts (LoEs) namely E-CLIP and Amnesty, Sectoral Unification, Capacity-Building, Empowerment and Mobilization, Basic Services, Local Government Empowerment and Local Peace Agenda will also conduct series of meetings in June 2019 to operationalize EO 70 in the region. (Tricia Marie L. Antivo, NEDA-X)

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.