the region

21 enrolled under BJMP-Davao’s education program for inmates

June 18, 2019

“We aim to reduce recidivism once an inmate is released from prison,” JO1 Michelle Yian, BJMP-Davao community relations service officer Yian said of the program in an interview.  Of the 21 tertiary students, she said 14 are males and seven are females.  She said two female inmates had been released from jail but were still attending classes held at the two-story building inside the jail facility in Ma-a, Davao City.  The students, all government scholars, have taken up four-year degree programs in computer technology and agribusiness. Most of them were arrested for illegal drugs, she said.  Yian said aside from college, BJMP-Davao had also expanded the education program to cover senior high school students. The initial batch for K to 12 program will comprise 20 male and 20 female students.  She said BJMP-Davao aims to link up graduates from CEBB with establishments once they complete their jail terms.  “We have a tie-up with Social Entrepreneurship Technology and Business Institute (SETBI) and will establish a probation period for the inmates. We will maintain contact with them and later link them up with establishments and agencies to facilitate their re-entry into the society,” she said.  She said the inmates’ jail term would be reduced once they complete a four-year degree.  “We have observed our inmate students have changed. They are now more disciplined,” she said.  In 2016, BJMP-Davao officials signed a memorandum of agreement with officials from University of Southeastern Philippines and SETBI to materialize the Prison Rehabilitation and College Education Behind Bars, a comprehensive college educational program for the detainees in Ma-a Jail.

READ MORE
5 out of 44 barangays in Iligan declared drug-cleared

June 18, 2019

The Iligan City Police Office (ICPO) reported this morning that five out of its 44 barangays have been declared by the Regional Oversight Committee (ROC) 'drug-cleared' after it complied with the requirements.   The ROC is composed of the regional directors of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), Department Of Health (DOH), Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).   In a press briefing, Monday morning (June 17), Police Major Jovanne Cabusas, identified these barangays as Hindang, Mainit and Rogongon which are in  the hinterland a Ditucalan and Bagong Silang.   Another two hinterland barangays -Panoroganan and Kalilangan, are declared 'drug-free barangays'.   Cabusas explained that drug-free barangays do not have reported presence of drug personalities while drug-cleared barangays, although it has identified drug personalities, they are actively participating the Community-based Drug Rehabilitation Program (CBDRP).   When the Oplan Tokhang was intensified in July 2016 to the end of 2018, the ICPO has recorded 4,734 drug personalities turned themselves on to the police for clearing and 973 of them have finished the CBDRP.   There are 372 drug personalities from the six coastal barangays -Suarez, Sta. Filomena, Dalipuga, Mahayahay, Villa Verde and Tibanga, curently undergoing the CBDRP four times in a month.   "Our efforts of partnering with other sectors in initiating and facilitating the Drug Clearing Program, particularly the CBDRP, had made a big difference in the life of drug users who were formely the ones committing crimes," Cabusas said during the press briefing.   The ICPO further reported that since the implementation of project Double Barrel in 2016 until the end of 2018, there are 791 anti-illegal drugs operations that resulted to the arrest of 1,282 drug personalities and filing of 1,594 cases.   The anti-drug operations have also yeildd 1,880 grams of marijuana and 5,505 grams of shabu which has an estimated market value of Php30.5 million.

READ MORE
IEC on peace, security set on June 20 in MSU Naawan

June 18, 2019

There will be two (2) sessions to be conducted during the IEC and each session will be attended by about 500 Fourth Year High School students of the university.  Resource persons will be coming from the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA)-10, the 4thInfantry Division of the Philippine Army, the Police Regional Office 10 of the Philippine National Police (PRO-10, PNP) and the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency Regional Office 10 (NICA, RO-10).  The conduct of the IEC is part of the advocacy of the various government agencies to enhance the awareness of the student and youth sector on various peace and security concerns and spare them from the ill-effects of these problems.   Among the topics that will be discussed include Drug Abuse Prevention Education, Community Policing, Preventing/Countering Violent Extremism, Recruitment Strategy of the NPA. There will also be some sharing of experiences by former rebels to serve as encouragement for the students not to get involved in any militant organizations and illegal activities.   The 4thInfantry Division will also set up their LED Van to showcase the programs and activities of the Philippine Army while an Accordion Board containing photo exhibits will also be posted outside the venue for other students to see and become aware of the ongoing activity.    Moreover, PDEA will distribute reading materials/pamphlets on how to prevent getting hooked in illegal drugs. (PR)  

READ MORE
2 women arrested for falsely using Mayor Sara's name

June 18, 2019

DAVAO CITY (MDN Local News, June 18) - Two women have been arrested by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for falsely claiming they were representatives of Davao City Mayor Sara Z. Duterte. The suspects were identified by NBI operatives as Ida Josephine Villahermosa and Deltha Pasco Bernardo. Both Villahermosa and Bernardo are charged of usurpation of authority before the Office of the City Prosecutor in Quezon City. Investigation disclosed that the two suspects were reportedly following several cases at the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC) when they were arrested by police authorities. Their arrest came after Mr Raul Nadela, chief of staff of City Mayor Sara Duterte, received a letter on June 11, 2019 from anonymous persons claiming that Villahermosa and Bernardo were falsely using the name of Mayor Sara Duterte in their transactions. Based on the complaint, unscrupulous individuals appeared at the NLRC office and they used the name of mayor Sara. Meanwhile, Mayor Sara Duterte herself has executed a sworn statement informing the public that she has not authorized anyone to use her name in all private and government transactions. The NBI said both the arrested suspects have pending cases of estafa and illegal recruitment.     

READ MORE
Cops who invested in Ponzi-like schemes to face administrative charges, relief

June 17, 2019

Baria said PRO director Brigadier General Marcelo Morales will charge them administratively, which might result in the personnel’s relief, as the region’s top police official would not allow unprofessionalism and greed for money to destroy their image and dampen “what we have always strived for: to be a better police force, if not the best.” “Once PRO 11 personnel were found to be involved in the investment scheme, he (Morales) will charge them administratively under his power/authority,” Baria said in a text message. Baria said the PRO 11 had not received any complaints against police in the region who invested in the illegal get-rich-quick schemes. A statement released by the PRO 11 said Morales issued a “stern warning” against the police to prevent being blamed by the public for not taking action against the illegal operations of the investment firms. “We will not allow the public to throw stones on us by not doing anything that these illegal operations have gone full-scale,” he said. “Let us not forget our mission and vision that we will continue to serve the community loyally.” President Rodrigo Duterte recently ordered the National Bureau of Investigation and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to shut down Kapa Community Ministry International, Inc. and other similar investment firms offering huge returns similar to Ponzi schemes and warned the people behind these companies that they could be charged with syndicated estafa. Several branches of Kapa and other similar investment firms had been closed by authorities in several parts of the country last week.

READ MORE
Ph, SoKor agree to ship 4.63M kilo waste from Villanueva back to Korea

June 17, 2019

South Korean Director General of the Ministry of Environment Young Dae Jeung presented these proposals to the Philippine officials during a meeting at the Mindanao International Container Terminal in Tagoloan town, Misamis Oriental on Thursday. Jeung offered Philippine officials three proposals: burn the wastes by incinerator that would be constructed by South Korea or bury the wastes in a landfill to be constructed also by South Korea. Aileen Lucero, national coordinator of the Ecowaste Coalition, said Philippine officials rejected out right the first two proposals and opted for the third proposal which was to repatriate the garbage back to South Korean in accordance with \ the Basel Convention. “We laud the firm stance of customs and environmental officials in the region to have the illegal traffic waste re-exported to its source in South Korea.  The Basel Convention imposes an obligation on the State of Export to ensure the return of wastes deemed to constitute ‘illegal traffic’,” Lucero said. Lucero said that under this convention, the  obligation of the State of Export to manage the illegal traffic waste “in an environmentally sound manner may not under any circumstances be transferred to the State of Import or transit.”     The Philippine officials were led by Customs port collector John Simon and Rep. Juliet Uy, (1st district, Misamis Oriental) attended the meeting that lasted from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday. Misamis Oriental provincial board member Gerardo Sabal said he also rejected the first two proposals especially since the proposed landfill would be made inside the province. Neither is an incinerator a good idea, Sabal said because it violates the Philippine Clean Air Act of 1999. “Those two proposals are out of question because it will still be constructed in our province,” he said. The household waste in Tagoloan town came in two shipments misdeclared as “plastic synthetic wastes” in July and August 2018. The first shipment of 5,100 tons arrived on July 21, 2018 and was immediately sent to the four-hectare facility of the shipper, Verde Soko, in Sitio Buguac, Barangay Santa Cruz in Tagoloan. The second shipment of 51 container vans loaded with 1,400 tons (1.27 million kilos) arrived in the second week of August last year and was also brought to the same facility. The shipment caused an uproar among local government officials as residents of Sitio Buguac started complaining of foul smell from the facility. On January 14 this year, 51 container vans containing 1,400 tons of garbage were loaded on a cargo ship for return to their port of origin in Pyeongtaek, South Korea Lucero said Philippine and South Korean officials agreed on the third proposal which was to ship the wastes back to Pyeongtaek, its port of origin. She said the Philippines agreed to cover all costs concerning repacking, containerizing, transporting the waste from the Verde Soko facility in Villanueva town to the container port terminal in Tagoloan town; and also customs clearing. Lucero said the South Korean government agreed to shoulder the costs of shipping from the port of Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental to Korea. “Both parties agreed that this incident was caused by an illegal exporter in South Korea and an illegal importer in the Philippines,” she said. The cost of repacking the wastes into sling bags, placing them in container vans and transporting from the Verde Soko facility to the port is estimated to be  P7 million. The shipping costs from the port of Tagoloan to Pyeongtaek, South Korea is  estimated to be P10 million and will be shouldered by their government. Sabal said Verde Soko’s President, Niel Alburo, promised to shoulder the cost of repacking. He said F2 Logistics, the trucking company that brought the wastes to the Verde Soko also agreed to shoulder the cost of transportation. “Their compliance will favor them considerably especially that criminal cases have been filed and warrants for arrests have been issued against them,” Sabal said. The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Northern Mindanao filed criminal charges against Alburo and the directors of Verde Soko, the importer of the wastes.  A court in Misamis Oriental issued arrest warrants against Alburo and seven other company directors for alleged violations of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (RA 10863) and Toxic and Hazardous Waste Act (RA 6969).  Alburo and his co-accused have posted bail for their temporary liberty. 

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.