front page

BREAKING NEWS! Supreme Court denies with finality same sex marriage in the Phils

January 8, 2020

THIS SOUNDS disgusting to the LGBT community but the Supreme Court, the highest court of the country, has denied with finality an appeal on this so-called same sex marriage in the Philippines. As this SC decision was promulgated yesterday, netizens posted mixed reactions on social media sites. Other people accepted the final decision of the Supreme Court after the proponent of same sex marriage has reportedly failed to provide sufficient documents to justify their appeal to SC.   The Supreme Court said the motion for reconsideration filed by Jesus Falcis, a gay lawyer, failed to present substantial arguments that would warrant the reversal of the first decision. During the oral arguments of the case, the SC said, the petition's violation of the hierarchy of courts, saying that in the U.S., many activities reach to a point to climb the hierarchy of courts before they could reach SC to argue their case and win. Ms Aida Villarama in her Facebook account said she is in favor of the final decision as it is very fitting to the current status of the country being one of the biggest catholic countries in Asia. "Very good verdict! God must have touched the hearts of the SC justices and directed their decision. Glory to our living God!" Villama exults in jubilation yesterday. Keann Rica Belaño also said she is supporting the SC decision. "A good decision indeed. We already respect of the social perspective you guys preferred loving same sex marriage. But it is not right to have union despite what the scripture tells us. You should respect that wag na tayo dumagdag sa di tamang gawain...at isa pa nakakapangilabot," she said. Rey Gonzales, another netizen and member of the LGBT community said the person incharge of the petition might not have been persuasive enough which led the SC to junk the petition due to lack of merits.  "I actually accept the fact that the person in charge in the petition might was not persuasive enough together with his/her arguments, leading to the government's decision to debunk it. What I cant accept is, using "fake morality" dahil sabi sa Bible. You are not being fair, citizens of the Philippines. I'm saying this not just because I'm part of "the community" that you'll been laughing at and making it your happy pill when you are lonely, but because I am a citizen as well," Gonzales said.

READ MORE
Angkas service in Oro gone after arrests made by LTFRB

January 8, 2020

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - Angkas operation in Cagayan de Oro and other areas in Northern Mindanao may have already stopped after several arrests last week of its drivers plying the Cagayan de Oro routes. Angkas app users were worried yesterday as the online app is not operational anymore. Passengers of Angkas in this city could no longer use the app as it would only respond with “Sorry, no service available in this area.“ MDN tried to contact Angkas office in Cagayan de Oro but they aren't available as of this writing. Last week, members of the apprehending team of the Land Transportion Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) in Northern Mindanao arrested several Angkas drivers for violations. The LTFRB said in its FB account, Angkas drivers were arrested for operating as taxi service outside of the designated area, as stipulated in the guidelines for Motorcycle Taxi Service Pilot Implementation Study area (MTSPIS) The LFTFRB said they conducted crackdown after receiving complaints from concerned citizens and competing drivers from taxi and other vehicles. Under the law, the government agency said, motorcycles are strictly prohibited from being utilized as public transportation. The exemption only is that the ongoing MC Pilot Study program being implemented by TWG in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu, which is done to help congress formulate a new law which would enable MCs to be considered as a new public transportation mode.  

READ MORE
BREAKING NEWS: Iran fires missiles at US military base, housing in Iraq

January 8, 2020

  TEHRAN, Iran -- After the death of Iran's military top brass early Wednesday, Iran fires a series of ballistic missiles at US military base and housing in Baghdad, Iraq today. Iranian state TV claims the firing of missiles is in retaliation of the death of the country's top military general, and many fears this tension would erupt into another crisis in the Middle East.  

READ MORE
Construction worker faces 3 counts of rape

January 8, 2020

ILIGAN City--Police filed rape charges against a construction worker shortly after his arrest Monday night (January 6) in Barangay Tubod this city. Police Major Abogado Mautin, chief of Iligan City Police Station (ICPS) 4, identified the suspect as a certain Eric Castillon, 54. Mautin said Castillon was arrested after the mother of the two siblings, aged 3 and 7, accused him of sexually molesting her two daughters. Initial police investigation said the suspect was having a drinking session with the grandfather of one of the children---and when they all got drunk, the suspect started to befriend the children. "Accordingly, the suspect called the children one by one, gave them 20 pesos each and let them sit on his lap one after the other. While the victims are on his lap, he touched the girls' private parts and inserted his fingers," said Mautin in an interview. It was the mother of the two siblings who discovered what happened when the girls narrated the incident. Later, three other victims come out in the open and confirmed what happened. As of press time, Mautin said the suspect is facing three counts of rape because only three of the five girls have lacerations based on the result of the medical examination. "The othe victim has no laceration while the other one, a 5-year-old, refused to undergo medical examination," Mautin said. On one hand, the suspect admitted he gave money to the children and let two of them sit on his lap but denied sexually molesting them. The suspect, who Mautin said has no criminal records in the past, is now placed under the custody of Iligan City Police Station 4 while waiting for the inquest proceedings.

READ MORE
Moreno names retired PNP colonel as new RTA chief

January 7, 2020

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY Mayor Oscar Moreno the other day named PSSupt. Rizalino R. Borlagdatan as acting head of Roads and Traffic Administration (RTA). The retired PNP Officer was also named by the City Mayor as the concurrent acting head of Civil Security Office (CSO). In a press statement issued by the City Mayor's Office, Moreno said Col Borlagdatan was introduced to him by City Police Director Henry G. Dampal in response to his request for referral. Borlagdatan was formerly the Provincial Director of Lanao del Norte. He was replaced by Sr. Supt. Leopoldo E. Cabanag sometime in July of 2017.     "I had earlier expressed to Col Dampal my preference for recently-retired PNP personnel as possible recruit to head the RTA and the Civil Security Office. I had thought that both the RTA and CSO should have good and working linkage with COCPO and the PNP," the city mayor explained. Moreno said he has no doubt that the former police officer would be effective in his new career as RTA chief and head of the Civil Security Office. "It is imperative that he enjoys full support from all of us. Let's please support him that," Moreno said. "It is my hope that the current officials of the Roads and Traffic Administration will receive Col. Borlagdatan objectively, and admit that his entry as the head of the RTA would enable the RTA to optimize its effectivity and efficiency in the service of our people," Mayor Oscar Moreno concluded.

READ MORE
'Kantahan sa Tagum' out, 'Awitang Tagumpay' in

January 7, 2020

THE local government of Tagum City, touted as the Music Capital of the South, has rebranded its singing competition from "Kantahan sa Tagum" to "Awitang Tagumpay," a singing tilt made bigger and grander. Awitang Tagumpay was launched January 5 at the Tagum City Cultural and Trade Center Pavilion with Mayor Allan L. Rellon leading the ceremony. The night was filled with vibrant music as former champions and resident judges of the singing contest, as well as voice students of the Music Makers program of the city government showcased various song renditions. Awitang Tagumpay holds much larger cash prizes at stake for its weekly competitions; P2,000, P1,500, and P1,000 is guaranteed to the weekly champion, 1st and 2nd runners-up, respectively - an impressive upgrade from its last edition's P800, P600 and P400 weekly prizes. Consolation prizes worth P300 is also granted to all non-winners. This newest edition of the competition features eight contenders per week and will run only in January and February this year as Grand Finals is slated on March 8 - in time for the celebration of the Musikahan sa Tagum Festival. The competition, which is also open to non-Tagumenyo residents and features Children and Adult categories, will be held every Sunday starting on January 12, with all weekly champions competing in the grand finals. Awitang Tagumpay is brought by the City Government of Tagum through the initiative of the City Music Management Office that is under the City Historical and Cultural Center Management Division. Drex Rafols/CIO Tagum

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.