front page

Police arrest fish vendor in Iligan on sexual assault

November 20, 2019

ILIGAN City--Police arrested Tuesday evening a fish vendor for allegedly sexually molesting his 15-year old neighbor in Barangay Tambacan this city. Police Major Abogado Mautin, chief of Iligan City Police Station 4, identified the suspect as Joel Madrazo, 30, a resident of Purok 4, Barangay Tambacan. Mautin said the victim, who is a neighbor, reported to the police after she was able to escape from the suspect’s house where the crime happened. “The victim was invited by the suspect for a drinking spree, when she got dizzy, she was dragged into the suspect’s house and started molesting and allegedly raping her,” the police report said. The suspect was arrested from his house and is now detained Police Station 4 waiting for the charges to be filed against him while the victim was advised to undergo a medical examination.

READ MORE
PH Saves Billions with NGCP's Financing Grid Expansion

November 20, 2019

As it strives to become the strongest power grid in Southeast Asia, the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) has so far invested P151 billion in the Philippines’s aging transmission system. A total of 5,626 transmission structures, 2,472 circuit-kilometers of transmission lines, 18 new substations, 63 upgraded substations, and an additional 15,634 MVA of transformer capacity has been installed in the past 10 years. Being the country’s sole transmission service provider, NGCP lays the highways where reliable and sustainable power flows from generating plants to distribution utilities, industries, businesses, and households. Tasked with operating, maintaining, and expanding the power grid, NGCP is dedicated to improving the country’s transmission network. Better power transmission for the nation The company completed 109 projects which include the Lumban-Bay 230kV Transmission Line Project which provided maximum dispatch of power plants from South Luzon to the Load Center; San Esteban – Laoag 230kV Transmission Line Project which accommodated the renewal energy power plants in Northern Luzon; Luzon Voltage Improvement Projects which provided additional MegaVolt Ampere Reactive (MVAR) capacity to improve power quality; Bataan Grid Reinforcement Project which accommodated a 600MW Coal Power Plant in Bataan;  Santiago-Tuguegarao 230kV Transmission line project, ensuring a more reliable and better quality of power transmission services for power consumers in Isabela, Cagayan, Kalinga, Apayao; and the Typhoon Nina Rehabilitation Project which upgraded the wind rating of transmission towers in Bicol region to withstand super typhoon winds of up to 300 kph. In Mindanao, the company completed, among others, the Balo-i-Villanueva (Kirahon)-Maramag-Bunawan 230kV Transmission Line, the first 230kV transmission line in the region that connects the northern and southern Mindanao; the Aurora-Polanco 138kV Transmission Line which improved the reliability and power quality in Zamboanga del Norte; the Matanao-Culaman (Malita) 230kV Line which accommodated a new generating capacity in the Davao Occidental; the General Santos-Tacurong 138kV Transmission Line which catered the load growth and provided reliable transmission facility in SOCCSKSARGEN region; the Matanao-General Santos 138kV Line which provided N-1 to the existing line; and various substations such as Toril Substation and Opol Substation.       For the Visayas, NGCP energized the submarine portion of the Cebu-Negros-Panay 230kV Backbone Stage 1 which provided an additional transfer capacity between Negros and Panay; the Ormoc-Babatngon 138kV Transmission Line, reinforcing power transmission delivery in the Leyte and Samar provinces; the Southern Panay 138kV Backbone which addressed the load growth in the Panay area; the Calong-Calong-Toledo-Colon-Cebu 138kV Transmission Line, constructed to provide N-1 provision to the existing 138kV transmission corridor in Cebu; and the Bohol 138kV Backbone Line which provided a more stable and reliable transmission network in Bohol. More in the pipeline NGCP’s Transmission Development Plan (TDP) details these priority projects to improve transmission backbones and alternative transmission corridors, and to develop resiliency policies for power transmission facilities. The company is set to complete more projects in the coming years, among which are: the 500kV Substation Projects (Taguig and Marilao) and 230kV Substation Projects (Pasay, Navotas, and Antipolo) to cater to the load growth of Metro Manila; the Cebu – Bohol 230kV Interconnection Project to accommodate the load growth and provide reliability of Bohol Island; the Nabas-Caticlan-Boracay Interconnection Project to accommodate the load growth and provide reliability of the Boracay Island; the Visayas Voltage Improvement Project to improve the power quality in Visayas; the Mindanao 230kV backbone project to upgrade the region’s transmission capacity and secure the reliability of power transmission services throughout the island; the Mindanao Substation Upgrading Project to increase the substation capacity and improve power quality; and the Kabacan 138kV Substation Project which will contribute to power reliability in South Western Mindanao area. An estimated total investment worth P463 billion is programmed for the next ten years. Mindanao-Visayas Interconnection NGCP is on-track to complete the Mindanao-Visayas Interconnection Project (MVIP), considered as the largest energy infrastructure in the history of the country.  “We are dedicated to completing the MVIP by December 2020 not only because we committed this, but also because interconnection among the three main grids is long overdue. The interconnection of Visayas and Mindanao was first proposed by government in 1984; but it was private entity NGCP which brought the government’s decades old plan from the feasibility stage to the implementation and completion stage,” stated NGCP. “Our projects, which will be worth PhP188 billion by end of 2019, and those in the pipeline, are meticulously planned by our engineers and updated year after year with careful consideration for the needs of every single area in the country,” NGCP noted. NGCP is a Filipino-led, privately owned company in charge of operating, maintaining, and developing the country’s power grid, led by majority shareholders Henry Sy, Jr. and Robert Coyiuto, Jr. ###

READ MORE
8 hurt, dozens affected in Bukidnon earthquake

November 19, 2019

ILIGAN City--Four injured, 100 families affected while dozens of buildings and residential houses were damaged when a magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Kadingilan town, Bukidnon on Monday night. Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management  (MDRRM) Officer Shane Therese Romo said more than 20 houses were damaged. Four were reported injured: one with injuries in the head, one lost his consciousness and two experienced trauma due to severe anxiety. All of them were brought to the nearest hospitals, said Romo. As of 8:31 a.m. on November 19, she said 56 families were affected in Barangay Sibonga, 14 in Salvacion, seven in Husayan, 11 in Malinao, seven in Kibogtok, and five in Baroy. She said the houses of the affected families incurred minor damaged, they were all advised to stay outside while the engineering department of the municipality is doing their inspection and assessment. In Sibonga, eight houses incurred major damaged after its concrete walls fell, window glasses shattered and toilet and comfort rooms collapsed while in Kibogtok, aside from the houses, its barangay health center had cracks on its walls. Seven houses were also damaged in Husayan, two are also declared unsafe by the Municipal Engineer’s Office, said Romo. Some houses in Barangay Pay-as were partially damaged and no damage has been reported in Barangay Bagor, but residents were advised to continue staying in open areas. In Barangay Cabadiangan, there are cracks on the columns of the public terminal and three families reported that their appliances were busted. The earthquake also caused cracks on walls and columns of a two-storey building in San Andres National High School in Barangay Cabadiangan while its ceilings were shattered. Cracks on walls and debris from classrooms in Kibalagon Elementary School were also visible while there were no reported injuries and damages. As of 5:56 am Tuesday, residents in Kadingilan experienced 37 aftershocks according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Philvolcs). Quake in Valencia Patients from different hospitals in Valencia City in Bukidnon were back to their respective rooms, two hours after they were evacuated following the earthquake. Lieutenant Colonel Surki Sereñas, chief of Valencia City Police Station, said around a hundred of patients of Esther Hospital, Adventist Medical and Valencia Medical Hospital were advised to return inside at 12:30 a.m. after they were evacuated outside. The management of Esther Hospital temporarily put their patients at the municipal covered court and in tents while those of the Adventist Medical Center and Valencia Medical Hospital were evacuated just outside the buildings. Initial rapid damage assessment by the City’s Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and Valencia Police said that two houses, one in Barangay Tugaya and one in Barangay Laligan, incurred damages when its walls collapse but none was reported injured, according to Sereñas. Three schools are also damaged: Lumbo Elementary School and Sinabuagan Elementary School with cracks on classroom walls; and Tongan-tongan Elementary School with cracks on the walls of its admin building. City Mayor Azucena Huervas has declared suspension of classes in all school levels. In Maramag town Eighty families in Maramag town in Bukidnon were displaced while 10 houses in Barangay Camp-1 were also seen partially damaged as per initial assessment of the Municipal’s Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO). Four persons are reported injured after they were hit by falling debris. Alejandro Navarro, head of Maramag, said the displaced families, with around 400 individuals, are temporarily housed at the barangay’s covered basketball court. “These number of houses partially damaged are only from one barangay. We are still awaiting the official report of other barangays that we expect to receive by noon today (November 19). We are now starting to roam around for the rapid damage assessment,” Navarro said in a phone interview. Aside from the residential structures, some schools and establishments are also reported to have incurred damages, according to Navarro.

READ MORE
Two NPA assassins arrested in Bukidnon

November 19, 2019

VALENCIA City--Two suspected assassins of the outlawed communist New People’s Army (NPA) were nabbed after a shootout with pursuing law enforcers here, the police said. Lt. Col. Surke A. Sereñas, said identified the suspects as Frederic M. Tagurda, a.k.a “Ric Ric,” 27, farm laborer, of Lilo-an, Lumbayao, Valencia City and Pedeng M Matrikinong, a.k.a “Agay,” and “Santo,” 26, married, of Balakayo, Namnam, San Fernando, Bukidnon. Sereñas said that the suspects, both alleged members of the dreaded “Sparrow Unit,” the assassination arm of the NPA, were reportedly responsible for extortion activities victimizing the local businessmen here. He said that a concerned citizen tipped off the presence of the  suspects who were reportedly collecting “revolutionary taxes” in the community, prompting the police and the military to launch a pursuit operation. Sereñas said that the pursuing lawmen caught up the suspects in Tongan-Tongan, Valencia City, which resulted in the shootout and the wounding of the suspects. He said that the suspects were immediately brought to the hospital for treatment. Doctors later declared the suspects safe and out of danger. Sereñas said the law enforcers recovered two .45 caliber pistol, 13 rounds of live ammunitions of .45 caliber pistol, a hand grenade, a black bonnet,  a hand held radio and assorted mobile and android cellular phones (some without batteries) after the shooting incident. The police and military also recovered four pieces aluminum blasting caps, one piece US dollar bill, two sling pouches, tw0 kitchen knives, a black wallet with one picture, wiring assembly with switch, one piece Casio wrist watch, one piece Sony battery charger, a black jacket, assorted medicines, assorted documents, and personal belongings. Sereñas said that the suspects, now in the custody of the Valencia City Police Office, were undergoing investigation pending the filing of appropriate charges against them.

READ MORE
Military official slams NPA for hiring minor

November 19, 2019

CAGAYAN de Oro City--A military official of the Armed the Forces of the Philippines (AFP) condemned the  New People’s Army (NPA) for recruiting children as combatants. Lieutenant Colonel Ronald Illana, commanding officer of the 8th Infantry Brigade, issued the statement after a child combatant of the NPA surrendered at the headquarters of the 8th IB in Impasugong town in Bukidnon over the weekend. The 16-year-old combatant known as alias Bulaw was identified as a member of the NPA’s Sub-Regional Committee 2, North Central Mindanao Regional Command. He brought with him his M1 Carbine firearm and a hand grenade. In an interview, Bulaw shared how he was recruited by the NPA terrorists at his young age. “The NPA recruiter told me that they want to educate me on my rights as a student but they didn’t allow me to go back home, I was told that I will be killed if I try to escape.” He also added that the NPA told him not to worry about his family as they will be given monthly financial and rice assistance by the NPA. “We will not tolerate this violation of the NPA, we will file cases to those who forcibly recruited him. This kid should go to school and not on war,” he said. Bulaw was the fourth NPA child combatant who surrendered to the 8th IB. He will be endorsed to the Department of Social Welfare and Development for counseling. His parents were already notified of his whereabouts. He was also informed about the benefits he will get under the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program of the government. His surrender was made possible through the negotiation of the IP soldiers in the area. (8th IB, PA)

READ MORE
Four injured; 87 houses damaged in magnitude 5.9 tremor that hit Bukidnon 

November 19, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - THE latest magnitude 5.9 quake that hit Kadingilan town in Bukidnon Province has no reported deaths except for four persons who were injured, the Local Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (LDRRMO) of Kadingilan town reported yesterday. LDRRMO Kadingilan photo The LDRRMO said those who were reported injured suffered trauma due to severe anxiety, an injury in the head and the loss of consciousness. According to Director Marcial Labininay of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs-North Mindanao) there were already over ninety-three total of aftershocks recorded after the Intensity 7 tremor hit the boundaries between Kadingilan and Don Carlos towns.  Local LDRRMO's Sheen Therese Romo reported to the media that all of the victims were already referred to the nearest hospitals in Bukidnon province for appropriate treatment, while the Rapid Damage Assessment and Needs Analysis (RDANA) also deployed teams in all 17 barangays in Kadingilan town to check on the reported damages. Also a team from the 88thIB Philippine Army; Bureau of Fire Protection and the local PNP organization in said town. Initial damage assessment made by LDRRMO revealed it that 14 houses were damaged in Barangay Salvacion; 7 in Barangay Husayan; 55 in Sibonga; five in Baroy; 3 in the town proper; 11 in Malinao; 3 in Poblacion; 3 in Cabadiangan; and 2 in Pay-as and one in Cab Annex Cabadiangan. A barangay health center was also reported damaged in Barangay Kiboktok due to its ceilings that collapsed, authorities reported. NO CLASSES IN ALL LEVELS Meanwhile, MDN also gathered reports that there were schools which suspended classes from all levels, to wit:  Valencia, Bukidnon — all levels (public and private) Maramag, Bukidnon — all levels (public and private) Quezon, Bukidnon — all levels (public and private) Cotabato City — all levels (public and private) Labininay said yesterday's quake was a different one since it was a vertical type of quake contrary to the recent quakes that were all horizontal type. He said the vertical quake is different, in that the movement of the quake or the shaking is very different and people would felt the tremor was very near. "In a horizontal type of tremor, you will feel like the house is dancing but this type of a tremor is very normal as it usually happened in the past tremblor that hit the Philippines. Labininay also reported there is no faultline in Kadingilan town and not even in Tulunan town, the epicenter of the recent quake that also devastated some towns in North Cotabato and Kidapawan City in September of this year.  It can be recalled that at around 9:22 evening on November 18,2019, Mindanao was again hit by a strong earthquake. The epicenter based on report was in Kadingilan town in Bukidnon province. Other places hit by the tremor were Dangcagan and Don Carlos towns also in Bukidnon and other neighboring cities and provinces in Mindanao. Previous quakes in Southern Philippines devastated Kidapawan City, Tulunan and Makilala towns in Cotabato province. Eva Hotel in Kidapawan City was among those badly damaged building structures by the strong quake that also hit Mindanao.  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.