front page

Village official accused of raping street sweeper surrenders

June 20, 2019

By Divina M. Suson, Correspondent   ILIGAN City--A village chairman surrendered to authorities Thursday morning (June 20) after learning a warrant of arrest against him was issued by Lanao del Norte Regional Trial Court Branch 1.   Joel Jumawan, 42, barangay chairman of San Miguel, Iligan City, was charged of raping the barangay's park sweeper, 43 years old, said he went directly to the warrant section of Iligan City Police Office, to surrender as he is aware of the complaint filed against him.   Jumawan was then turned over to Iligan City Police Station 1 as the alleged crime was committed within its jurisdiction.   "I thought it was dismissed because I know I did not commit such crime but as law abiding citizen, I turned myself in to authorities," Jumawan said in the interview.   Captain Eric Logronio, chief of police station 1, said the victim filed the case after the 2018 barangay elections.   "The complaint was filed last year... it was the only complaint," Logronio said   The complainant accused Jumawan of raping her in 2017 but the latter said it is impossible to happen since she was actively helping him during the campaign sorties in 2018 elections.   Jumawan, a former number one barangay councilor, was appointed as barangay chairman when the former chairman won as city councilor in 2016 elections.   He ran and won in 2018 Sangguniang Kabataan and Barangay Elections.   He accused his political opponents being behind the charges to politically harass him.   Jumawan said, the brother of the complainant is on his side to testify that there was no rape happened.   He said, his lawyer is now preparing to file motion for reconsideration, motion to post bail, and motion to lift warrant.   Logronio said Jumawan is set to be turned over to the court and then for commitment to the city jail.

READ MORE
PH studes optimistic K to 12 can help them develop their technical, soft skills

June 20, 2019

SENIOR high school (SHS) students are optimistic that the Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013, also known as the K to 12 Program, will help them firm up their choices and plans for their college education and future careers, as well as develop their technical and soft skills.   This is according to a study released by state think tank Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS) titled “Senior High School and the Labor Market: Perspectives of Grade 12 Students and Human Resource Officers”. The research team was composed of PIDS Senior Research Fellow Aniceto Orbeta, Jr., Consultant Marites Lagarto, Senior Research Specialist Ma. Kristina Ortiz, Supervising Research Specialist Danica Aica Ortiz, and Research Analyst Maropsil Potestad.   The authors interviewed selected first batch of Grade 12 students as well as employers and firms to get a grasp of the labor market prospects for SHS graduates. At least 18 schools from the National Capital Region (NCR), Region III, and Region IV-A were included in the research study. Meanwhile, at least 26 firms from NCR, Region IV-A, and Cebu were chosen as these areas “are the hubs of Philippine business and industry”.   The interview showed that “SHS education was believed to be useful and effective” by the students “in terms of enhancing the[ir] skills and expanding [their] knowledge”. It also “allowed them to be trained further in their chosen areas of specialization”.    However, the authors noted some challenges in the K to 12 program.   While one of the rationales of the program is to equip SHS graduates with necessary skills so they can work or engage in entrepreneurial activities, some of the students interviewed said they are not confident to land a job after completing SHS.   This is particularly true for those under the academic track, who “believed they would still need to go to college because the training in SHS was not meant to make them more employable, unlike in the case of the Technical-Vocational-Livelihood (TVL) students” who can strengthen their employment eligibility by obtaining necessary certificates.   But to some TVL students, obtaining the National Certificate (NC) Level II and Certificates of Competency from the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority does not guarantee employment. Students revealed that employers, especially large firms, still prefer applicants with college degrees and work experience.   This is one of the reasons why they pursue college degrees.    “Most of the students were firm about their plans to pursue higher education because of the perception that college degree raises better employment opportunities and salaries,” the authors said. They are, however, faced with challenges such as schools requiring a “bridging program” for off-track SHS students, failing the entrance exams, financial constraints, and difficulty in maintaining the required grade for scholarships, among others.   The study also noted that employers and firms lack in-depth knowledge of the SHS program. “They do not know what kind of training the SHS students need from the businesses and what the SHS graduates could possibly offer to the industry in return,” the authors pointed out.   While majority said they would hire SHS graduates, only two of the interviewees “believe that SHS graduates already have the skills to be employed”. Moreover, those willing to hire SHS graduates provided preconditions for recruitment such as “requiring competencies and specialized skills, improved work immersion, and offering only low positions due to the nature of their business as well as existing government hiring policies such as that of the Civil Service Commission”.   The issue on work retention was also brought up by the firms as some SHS graduates have the tendency to work for only a short period of time. “Most of them proceeded to college while a few just gained experience and hopped to other companies for higher compensation,” the authors explained.   To resolve these issues, the authors recommend improving arrangements for taking NC assessments to strengthen the employability of those in the academic track, intensifying the SHS program information campaign among employers, and adjusting the hiring policies of the government and private firms to accommodate SHS graduates.

READ MORE
Skytrax Qatar Airways launches direct flights to Davao City

June 20, 2019

  Share DAVAO CITY (MDN Mindanao News, June 20) - The Skytrax Qatar Airways, known as the 2019 World's Best Airline, has launched direct flights from Doha to Davao via Clark. This new development will help Filipinos to easily reach Mindanao if Mindanao is their direct destination from Qatar. Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner will be servicing said route on Fridays. The inaugural Flight QR-936 departed from Hamad International Airport at exactly 3:26am (UTC+3 and then it reached its destination in Bangoy International Airport at around 5:59 (UTC+8 after 9 hours and 33 minutes of no-nonsense flight.  The inaugural flight was participated in by local officials, airport officers and tourism officers and council members. On board the said flight were Alan Timbayan, Ambassador of the Philippines to Qatar and Marwan Koleilat, Qatar Aiways senior vice president. Based on the daily flight schedule, Boeing 787 departs from Doha at 2:45Aam and it will reach Clark at 5:25pm. Then QR-936 is going to proceed to Davao and eventually reach Davao at 8:50pm. And after staying for 1 hour and 30-minutes, the plane will also go back to Doha at 10:20pm. ### ---    ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter  

READ MORE
Eddie Garcia "Finally Bites The Dust, Rest In Peace "Manoy"

June 20, 2019

  Share video credit to abs cbn MANILA - (MDN National News, June 20) Eddie Garcia "Finally Bites The Dust." Veteran actor-director Eddie Garcia joined the Creator in Heaven at around 4:55 p.m. (June 20) after being comatose for days due to his neck fracture. He died at the age of 90. Garcia's death was confirmed by Dr Artemio Cabrera Salvador, Division  Head of Patients Relations Department at the Makati Medical Center thru a medical bulletin, confirming the time of his demise.  On June 8, 2019, the multi-awarded actor accidentally stepped on a wire while having a shooting against his enemies in his new TV series with GMA 7. He fell and since then he was comatose at the hospital. "We join the entire Filipino community in praying for the soul of Mr. Garcia and his dearly beloved family and friends," the Makati Medical Center said in its medical bulletin. The late Eddie Garcia (Eduardo Verchez Garcia in real life) was born in Juban, Sorsogon on May 2, 1929 with his parents Antonio Garcia and Vicenta verchez. He spent his years in his hometown in Juban but after World War II, he was commissioned as military policeman in Japan.    Garcia was part of the United States army for three years as member of the Philippine Scouts. But in 1949, then President Elpidio Quirino disbanded said troops where Garcia belong.  Garcia planned to re-enlist with the U.S. Army but a friend advised him and instead he joined the entertainment industry. He was convinced by a friend George Sanderson to audition with Director Manuel Conde and he was picked to star in the movie "Siete Infantes de Lara." Garcia was finally discovered as a good actor and the rest was history. To date, Garcia filmed more than 600 movies of various characters. He became a leading man in many movies, villain, commedian, gay, and all other character roles he portrayed with professionalism and passion in his 70 years in the movie industry. "I played almost all the character roles in my movies. I became a leading man, villain, comedian, gay and all others. For me, it's a job and as long as I am needed by the industry I will just be here. You just play good in your role to the best of your ability because it will be your recommendation in your next acting project," Garcia said. ### Eddie Garcia passed away at 4:55 p.m., today. Rest in peace. pic.twitter.com/w7EzvgTcRV — ABS-CBN News (@ABSCBNNews) June 20, 2019 ---        ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter  

READ MORE
Court of Appeals dismissed 24 administrative cases filed against Oro Mayor Moreno

June 20, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MDN Mindanao News, June 20) - The Court of Appeals 12th Special Division in Manila has dismissed 24 administrative cases filed by the Ombudsman against incumbent Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno.  The cases filed by the Ombudsman was when Oscar Moreno was still the Governor of the province of Misamis Oriental. The promulgation was based on the 33 page decision of the Special 12th Division of the Court of Appeals dated May 15, 2019 penned down by Associate Justice Victoria Isabel Paredes, Marlene Gonzales-Sison and Maria Elisa Sempio-Diy. Aside from Moreno, the court also dismissed the administrative cases filed by the Ombudsman against Elsie Lopoy, Leemar Tinagan, Engr Rolando Pacuribot, Divina Bade and Patrick Gabutina. Prior to this, then Governor Moreno and other officials was accused by the Ombudsman for administrative Case for serious dishonesty, grave misconduct prejudicial to the best interest of public service, and that same case almost dismissed Moreno as Mayor of the city. On the same 33-page decision, the 12th Division of the Court of Appeals dismissed the cases filed against Moreno in favor of his legal team's petition for Certiorari. “The Petition for Certiorari and prohibition are hereby GRANTED and the assailed Decision issued by the office of the Ombudsman on various dates finsing petitioners guilty of serious dishonesty, grave misconduct, and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of service are REVERSED and SET ASIDE. Accordingly, the Administrative complaints against them are DISMISSED,” the Special 12th Division of the Court of appeals said. ### ---        ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter

READ MORE
Lagonglong evacuees no longer 'welcome' in park

June 20, 2019

THE provincial government of Misamis Oriental on Tuesday warned that the evacuees from sitio Mikamansi in Lagonglong town will be charged with forced entry if they will go back to the provincial capitol grounds for no reason. During a press conference that day, provincial legal officer Cerilio Neil Pacana said that Capitol would only recognize evacuees from its constituencies if there is a new justifiable armed conflict or any other emergency. Pacana then went on explaining that these evacuees would be turned over to the municipal or city government units where they belong. “Pero kanang mga taga Mikamansi nga mobalik lang sila diri sa Kapitolyo para i-insist nila ang ilang kausa, di na kana puwede,” he said. In the same press conference, provincial administrator Jocelyn Lood-Matteo said that the Capitol had exhausted its patience in caring for the “hard-headed” evacuees who insistently refused to accept the municipal government of Lagonglong’s offer for them to be transferred to a relocation area far from the Philippine Army’s detachment where they feared staying. “It became a point that they have become a nuisance already,” Lood-Matteo said. Pacana said that the makeshift camp of the evacuees was already being converted by cause oriented groups from Luzon and the Visayas as their waypoint to protest demonstrations instead of being merely a temporary shelter of the evacuees. The provincial government’s decision to dismantle the camp came at the heels of a 40-day self-imposed exile from public view by Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano after his father died. Thus, the evacuees’ demand to meet the governor before they leave the area Tuesday was not met. The Capitol – through Pacana – earlier requested the Office of the City Building Official to look on whether the makeshift camp which is composed of crudely-erected tents and bamboo-hardened structures could qualify as a public nuisance under a city ordinance. The Office of the City Building Official then promptly tapped the barangay council of Barangay 27 to implement the ordinance and dismantle the structures. The Capitol-owned Vicente de Lara Park – where the Mikamansi evacuees had been staying for more than 12 months – is located in Barangay 27 in Cagayan de Oro City. It is part of the provincial capitol complex, the seat of government of Misamis Oriental.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.