front page

Zubiri leads turnover of Tesda training centers in Bukidnon

October 29, 2019

SENATE Majority Leader Miguel Zubiri led the turnover ceremonies last week of four Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (Tesda) training centers in Bukidnon to Tesda Secretary Isidro Lapeña. The training centers in Impasugong, Cabanglasan, Lantapan and Maramag towns are part of Zubiri’s initiative to establish local government unit-based Tesda training centers in Bukidnon aligned with antipoverty and anti-insurgency goals of thea province. “We want Bukidnon to be the pioneering tech-voc–educated province in the country,” Zubiri said. The partnership between Zubiri and Tesda is geared toward providing accessible tech-voc education to the province. More Tesda training centers will be established in the city of Malaybalay, and the towns of Kitaotao, San Fernando, Kibawe, Quezon, Talakag, Malitbog, Baungon, Kalilangan, Sumilao, Damulog, Kadingilan and Dangcagan. With the recent turnover, Bukidnon now has Tesda training centers in its two cities and 20 towns, making it the pioneer province to have local government unit-based Tesda-operated training centers, bringing skills education to grassroots communities. The creation of Tesda training centers are part of Zubiri’s education-focused poverty alleviation projects for the province, complementing the expansion of Bukidnon State University through its extension campuses. Joining Zubiri for the turnover ceremonies in the four towns were Lapeña, Gov. Jose Ma. Zubiri and Rep. Manuel Zubiri of the Third District. Also present were Mayor Anthony Uy and Vice Mayor Norly Pepito for Impasugong; Mayor Renante Inocando and Vice Mayor Lolita Obsioma for Cabanglasan; Mayor Ernie Devibar and Vice Mayor Sulpicio Gallano for Lantapan; and Mayor Jose Joel Doromal and Vice Mayor Ed Laure for Maramag. “We want every single person in Bukidnon to physically have access to our schools. It is hard enough to balance school and work—as many of our youth have no choice but to do—and it just becomes more difficult when geographical challenges get in the way, discouraging attendance or even application,” Zubiri said. “Bukidnon is one of the largest provinces in the nation in terms of land area. It follows that we would need a large network of educational centers to reach all our constituents, at minimal cost to them,” he added. “With these Tesda training centers in every city and municipality of the province, we are bringing education and opportunity right to our peoples’ doorsteps,” he explained.

READ MORE
Oro dad urges public to be vigilant v ASF

October 29, 2019

A CAGAYAN de Oro Councilor has urged the public to continue to be vigilant so as to keep the city free from the dreaded African Swine Fever (ASF). In a statement, Councilor Jay R. Pascual said: “It is safe to eat Pinoy pork meat even if it is infected with the ASF virus. The person eating it will not be affected unlike the Bird Flu where people will also be sick after consumption.” Pascual is currently the chairperson of City Council committee on agriculture. He said ASF virus should not be a cause for people to panic, but he is urging everyone to be vigilant in keeping the city free from the ASF virus by refraining from using “lamaw” in feeding their hogs. Backyard farmers, which comprise 70 to 80 percent of the total number of hog raisers in the city,  are strongly advised and requested to strictly abide by the order of the city government regarding the use of organic feeds until such time the whole country is declared ASF-free, Pascual reiterated. “Rest assured nga ang security measures regarding sa entry sa atong mga pork products is very well-entertained, gibantayan gyud sa atong Task Force ASF,” the councilor cited. (SP/JAOclarit)

READ MORE
Bambi, Juliette donate bags for shipment of South Korean trash

October 29, 2019

MISAMIS Oriental Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano and Rep. Juliette Uy donated a total of 5,000 tonner bags to be used to ship back the 5,000 tons of Verde Soko that are still stranded at Phividec Industrial Estate compound in barangay Sta. Cruz, Tagoloan town.   In a ceremony held Tuesday (October 29) at the Bureau of Customs (BOC) Collection District 10 office in Cagayan de Oro City, district collector John Simon received from the provincial government a total of 4,000 tonner bags.   Emano was represented by provincial board member Gerardo Sabal III.   A separate ceremony was held earlier when Uy turned over a thousand tonner bags to the Bureau of Customs.   A tonner bag is an industrial container made of flexible fabric that is designed to hold a ton of materials in this case, the misdeclared household wastes from South Korea.   Simon welcomed the donation of the two officials, saying this is a significant development in fasttracking the shipment of the rubbish.   The Customs official said they now have the 5,000 tonner bags needed to load the 5,000 metric tons of recyclable plastic and assorted trash back to the shipping containers.   He said that it will take the whole month of November for workers to load back the garbage.   Once 50 containers are loaded to the vessel that will ply the cargo back to its origin port in South Korea, the vessel will be allowed to leave port.   Simon said a representative of the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) will observe the whole duration of the packing because they will be the ones to sign off the export clearance of the reexportation.

READ MORE
5 dead as two big quakes hit Mindanao

October 29, 2019

Five people died after two powerful tremors hit Mindanao registering magnitude 6.6 and an aftershock of magnitude 6.1 a few hours later. The quake's epicenter was identified by government authorities in Tulunan, Cotabato. Based on reports from various reliable sources, large part of Mindanao was affected by the tremblor, with five reported dead, more than a dozen injured and millions of damage to properties. Those damaged properties are either owned by the government such as school buildings, government offices, among others - or privately-owned business firms and homes built by construction firms. In Cagayan de Oro City, some elementary schools were suspended as a result of the strong quake. Many buildings and hotels were also closed temporarily for the day, to give way to the City Building Official (OBO) inspection team to conduct evaluations especially on the newest skyscrapers in the city. The entrance of one of the biggest BPO companies, Teleperformance, situated just beside Centrio Ayala Mall cracked. The management of said local firm has to suspend work hours of their employees for safety and precautionary measures.  In Digos City, one was reported dead. City Mayor Josef Cagas identified the victim as a certain Jeremy. In Valencia City, Bukidnon, cracks were also seen in the newest mall, Robinsons. The management has yet to issue statements regarding the cracks found by residents. In Arakan town, Cotabato, two persons were reported dead after rolling rocks reportedly ran them over. The victims were identified as Angel Andy, 22 and his 7-year-old son. Andy's two-year-old son was also reported injured. In Tulunan, the quake's epicenter, the mayor of said town has identified one person who died as Marichel Morla of barangay Banayal. Daig Elementary School in Tulunan town also collapsed resulting to the injury of three elementary pupils.  A few months ago, Cotabato Province was also hit by a magnitude 5.1 tremor and four persons have died.      

READ MORE
OPLAN Biyaheng Ayos-Undas 2019 activated in West-bound Bulua and Agora terminals

October 27, 2019

LTFRB RFRO 10 Regional Director Aminoden Guro has deployed this early the region's enforcers to different land transport terminals in line with Undas 2019's OPLAN Biyaheng Ayos. RD Guro has assured the riding public that LTFRB-10 is in keeping with bus liners and PUJ operators in their preparations for the expected influx of passengers in various terminals in the region. The LTFRB-10 Regional Chief said OPLAN Biyaheng Ayos is operating even on weekends, along with Oplan Malasakit Centers. "Give assistance to PWDs, senior citizens, those with medical concerns and pregnant and lactating mothers," among the instructions of RD Guro while deploying his personnel. OPLAN Biyaheng Ayos will also look into the road worthiness of vehicles, franchises and physical fitness of drivers and use of seatbelts, he added. The Malasakit Help Desks, for its part, will serve as focal point for all inquiries relating to assistance and information dissemination relative to OPLAN Biyaheng Ayos and the rights of passengers. The operation will culminate on Nov. 4.

READ MORE
MisOcc mayor shot dead in Cebu

October 26, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - An incumbent mayor of Clarin town in Misamis Occidental was ambushed and shot dead by still unidentified heavily armed men Friday (October 25) while he was brought by a police car to the fiscal's office for inquest proceedings.  The victim was identified by police authorities as Mayor David Navarro of Clarin town in Misamis Occidental, Mindanao. He was peppered with bullets by one of the gunmen which caused his instant death a few minutes later.  The unknown suspects on board a white van, according to police investigations, were heavily armed with M14 armalite rifles when they ambushed the mayor on his way to the fiscals office. The mayor was arrested on October 24 after facing several charges for allegedly assaulting a male masseur at the hotel along Fuente Osmeña in Cebu City. Mayor Navarro, report said, was in Cebu attending a workshop-seminar regarding development plans of Clarin town. The said workshop was held at the hotel in Fuente Osmeña, while the massage parlor was also located at the hotel's third floor. Police investigation disclosed that around 2pm on Friday, October 25, the Mahindra police mobile carrying the mayor was waylaid by heavily armed men while negotiating a curve along Velez St., in barangay Guadalupe, Cebu City.   Based on information gathered by police investigators at the National Capital Region Police Office, Mayor David Navarro was related to Dante Navarro, leader of the Alferez Robbery Group, and was reportedly enjoying the full support of druglord Herbert Colango.   Last October 19,2019, a few of the jewelry shops inside J Centre Mall in Mandaue City was robbed by still unidentified suspects believed members of the Alferez Robbery Group. Five of the suspects were later arrested in Pulangbato pier in Bogo City. The arrested suspects reportedly fought back at the police which also caused their deaths, police report said. A police investigation later identified some of the suspects as members of the Alferez Group. Meanwhile, the mayor of Cebu has already ordered a thorough investigation of the ambush that took the life of Clarin, Misamis Occidedntal Mayor David Navarro.  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.