todays top stories

BREAKING NEWS: Iran fires missiles at US military base, housing in Iraq

January 8, 2020

  TEHRAN, Iran -- After the death of Iran's military top brass early Wednesday, Iran fires a series of ballistic missiles at US military base and housing in Baghdad, Iraq today. Iranian state TV claims the firing of missiles is in retaliation of the death of the country's top military general, and many fears this tension would erupt into another crisis in the Middle East.  

READ MORE
Construction worker faces 3 counts of rape

January 8, 2020

ILIGAN City--Police filed rape charges against a construction worker shortly after his arrest Monday night (January 6) in Barangay Tubod this city. Police Major Abogado Mautin, chief of Iligan City Police Station (ICPS) 4, identified the suspect as a certain Eric Castillon, 54. Mautin said Castillon was arrested after the mother of the two siblings, aged 3 and 7, accused him of sexually molesting her two daughters. Initial police investigation said the suspect was having a drinking session with the grandfather of one of the children---and when they all got drunk, the suspect started to befriend the children. "Accordingly, the suspect called the children one by one, gave them 20 pesos each and let them sit on his lap one after the other. While the victims are on his lap, he touched the girls' private parts and inserted his fingers," said Mautin in an interview. It was the mother of the two siblings who discovered what happened when the girls narrated the incident. Later, three other victims come out in the open and confirmed what happened. As of press time, Mautin said the suspect is facing three counts of rape because only three of the five girls have lacerations based on the result of the medical examination. "The othe victim has no laceration while the other one, a 5-year-old, refused to undergo medical examination," Mautin said. On one hand, the suspect admitted he gave money to the children and let two of them sit on his lap but denied sexually molesting them. The suspect, who Mautin said has no criminal records in the past, is now placed under the custody of Iligan City Police Station 4 while waiting for the inquest proceedings.

READ MORE
Moreno names retired PNP colonel as new RTA chief

January 7, 2020

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY Mayor Oscar Moreno the other day named PSSupt. Rizalino R. Borlagdatan as acting head of Roads and Traffic Administration (RTA). The retired PNP Officer was also named by the City Mayor as the concurrent acting head of Civil Security Office (CSO). In a press statement issued by the City Mayor's Office, Moreno said Col Borlagdatan was introduced to him by City Police Director Henry G. Dampal in response to his request for referral. Borlagdatan was formerly the Provincial Director of Lanao del Norte. He was replaced by Sr. Supt. Leopoldo E. Cabanag sometime in July of 2017.     "I had earlier expressed to Col Dampal my preference for recently-retired PNP personnel as possible recruit to head the RTA and the Civil Security Office. I had thought that both the RTA and CSO should have good and working linkage with COCPO and the PNP," the city mayor explained. Moreno said he has no doubt that the former police officer would be effective in his new career as RTA chief and head of the Civil Security Office. "It is imperative that he enjoys full support from all of us. Let's please support him that," Moreno said. "It is my hope that the current officials of the Roads and Traffic Administration will receive Col. Borlagdatan objectively, and admit that his entry as the head of the RTA would enable the RTA to optimize its effectivity and efficiency in the service of our people," Mayor Oscar Moreno concluded.

READ MORE
Italpinas green developer gets P440-M loan from DBP

January 7, 2020

MANILA, Philippines - It seems all systems go now for green developer Italpinas Development Corp. (IDC) as the government-run Development Bank of the Philippines has given IDC a green light to have a bank loan of Four Hundred Forty Million Pesos (P440-M). The said multi-million loan will partially finance Italpinas new projects especially the Citta Bella, the second phase development for Primavera City green complex. The complex, report said, will be completed in Year 2020. It can be recalled that the 1st phase of the Citta Bella Green Complex was also funded by the said government financial institution. It will be ready for occupancy during the first quarter of 2022.   The International Property Award Asia Contest from 2017-2018 has awarded Primavera City as Best in Mixed-used b building. It will be a green project certified by EDGE, a member of World Bank's International Finance Corp.

READ MORE
Street light in Claveria

January 7, 2020

While the DILG, DPWH, and other government agencies are busy  implementing the road clearing operation along main roads and national highways for the road widening program here comes the street light project at Sitio Bangonbangon, Barangay Patrocino, Claveria, Misamis Oriental where the posts are installed beside the road shoulder.

READ MORE
National highway streetlights project in Claveria town hit for clear violation

January 7, 2020

CLAVERIA, Misamis Oriental - While the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Department of Public Works and Highways are busy in the implementation of President Rodrigo Duterte's road clearing directive, yet a certain road street lighting project somewhere in Claveria town, Misamis Oriental is getting the ire of many folks. An FB post went viral after photos of this streetlighting project were posted yesterday, and which got the attention of many people, especially those who live in Claveria town, Misamis Oriental. Lily Umali-Cagas said there is no coordination between project implementors, which is maybe the reason, why they didn't realize it is a violation of President Rodrigo Duterte's marching orders. Based on said order, streetlights should follow the 15 meters away guideline from the center of the road from both sides, either left or right side of the highway, in which this streetlight project in Barangay Patrocinio, Claveria clearly violated. MDN tried to contact Claveria Mayor Meraluna Salvaleon Abrogar to shed light on the matter but she is not available at press time. Meanwhile, DILG has already warned to prosecute municipal and city mayors who did not implement the road clearing project of Pres. Duterte in their respective places. In a press statement Sunday, DILG Secretary Eduardo Año has named ten mayors who will be facing administrative cases for their failure to implement the president's directive. The mayors who will be facing administrative sanctions include the following: Mayor Reynaldo Marco of Baco, Oriental Mindoro Mayor Tomas Bongalonta Jr of Pili, Camarines Sur Mayor Dean Michael Singco of Ginatilan, Cebu Mayor Edgar Tan of Pagsanghan, Samar Mayor Boen Dorotheo Cabahug of Aurora, Zamboanga del Sur Mayor Joel Sulong of Lapuyan, Zamboanga del Sur Mayor Joseph Uayan of Sagay, Camiguin Mayor Helenio Abecia of Guinsiliban, Camiguin Mayor Antonio Baculio of Manticao, Misamis Oriental Mayor Alicia Mori of Caraga, Davao Oriental The DILG chief executive said the first 10 mayors were among the 97 mayors all over the country who failed to properly answer the directives of their office. They have also failed to implement properly the road clearing order of the president.  Año said his office mean business and they are ready to sanction whoever is not following orders which could hamper developments and peace and order in the countryside. "Hindi tayo nagbibiro noong sinabi natin na handa tayong sampahan sila ng kaso," the DILG secretary warned.  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.