todays top stories

BARANGAY DAD TO MAYOR MORENO: "Donate additional salaries to covid-19 affected families" 

June 5, 2020

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - Barangay Nazareth chairperson Maximo Rodriguez III has urged Mayor Oscar S. Moreno, V-Mayor Rainier Joaquin Uy and all City Councilors to donate their additional salaries to the poor residents of the city, affected by the covid-19 pandemic. He said in this times of the covid-19 pandemic, the leaders of the city should not be selfish enough to receive salary increases. "What they did was very untimely. We are facing this corona virus disease pandemic and our city officials should look into the welfare of their constituents instead of themselves," Rodriguez III pointed out during a press briefing. He claimed a lot of city residents did not receive the social amelioration program funds and also the 5-kilo and several sardines and chicken donated by the City Gov't. "A lot of my constituents in Barangay Nazareth have been complaining because they were being depribed of the national government's package, and yet our leaders in Cagayan de Oro were enjoying the salary increases." He also claimed that while other mayors and government officials took turns of donating their wages and salaries, Officials in Cagayan de Oro were also enjoying their salary increases. The City Hall's budget officer defended the salary increases of Mayor Moreno, VM Uy and City Councilors. She said the increase was based on Republic Act 11466 otherwise known as Modified Salary Standardization Law of 2019, mandating for said salary increases between 2020 to 2023.  Menwhile, Rodriguez III also accused the City Gov't of depriving the 26 barangays from the distribution of the second wave relief goods after they all signed for the petition calling for the Enhance Community Quarantine (ECQ) last month.  City Councilor Jocelyn Rodriguez had earlier lambasted the City Government for allegedly misleading the general public of where the P56 Million emergency fund went into. Councilor Rodriguez said the P56 Million came from the National Government for the food relief of the city residents affected by the covid-19 pandemic. "Nganong dili man kana i-ayuda sa katawhan nga gikan man kana sa National Government para ihatag sa mga apektado sa pandemic?" she asked.     

READ MORE
2 police officers wounded in Bukidnon bombing

June 4, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--A police patrol car hit a landmine Tuesday morning while in pursuit of armed men who lobbed a grenade at a police checkpoint in Cabangalasan, Bukidnon Monday night. Two police officers manning the checkpoint were wounded in the grenade explosion followed by a burst of gunfire by armed men believed to be communist New People’s Army (NPA). Col. Mardi Hortilloza, the spokesperson of the police regional command in Northern Mindanao, said that the pursuing police on board a patrol car hit a landmine Tuesday morning. He said no one was injured when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) exploded while the two police officers who were wounded in Monday night’s attack were in stable condition while undergoing treatment. Provincial Police Director Col. Roel L. Lami-ing, of Bukidnon, has called for an investigation of the incident and filed appropriate charges against the perpetrators. A few days ago, the communist rebels torched houses and a church in the hinterland village of Opol, Misamis Oriental, the military said. Capt. Rene Belmonte, the spokesperson of the army 403rd Brigade in Bukidnon, said that a certain “Decoy” of the NPA North Central Mindanao Regional Committee, led the attack of the village in Limonda, Opol, Misamis Oriental. He said the military and the police in Misamis Oriental launched a hot pursuit operation against the armed group while charges were filed against “Decoy” and his group.

READ MORE
Lanao del Sur town Mayor survives ambushed in CDO

June 4, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--A town mayor in Lanao Del Sur, his wife and the driver escort survived an ambushed Wednesday morning in Iponan, a barangay (village) here  west of the city. Mayor Sumerado Guro, town mayor of Lumakamaayunan, Lanao del Sur, sustained gunshot wounds, but in stable condition in a hospital in Cagayan De Oro City. Guro’s wife Rohaifa was in critical condition and is treated in the hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU) here. Although wounded, the unidentified driver-escort managed to drive the mayor’s service vehicle to the hospital, the police said. An initial police investigation disclosed that the mayor and his wife were on board a black pickup when waylaid by the unidentified riding tandem gunmen. Maj. Ivan Biñas, spokesman of the Cagayan De Oro City Police Office (COCPO), said that the motive of the shooting remains unknown. He said that the police are now gathering possible evidences that might lead to the identity of the culprits as the police launched a massive manhunt of the suspect.

READ MORE
NPA denies burning church, houses in Misamis Oriental

June 4, 2020

MISAMIS Oriental--The communist New People’s Army (NPA) on Wednesday disowned the burning of houses and a church in the hinterland village of Opol, Misamis Oriental Monday morning. In a statement relayed to the Mindanao Daily News, a certain Nicolas Marino who claimed to be the spokesperson of the NPA-Misamis Oriental, denied that the burning was the handiwork of the communist rebels. “We are investigating the incident involving two rival groups in the area where the burning incident took place,” Marino said. The military has accused the communist insurgents responsible for the burning of four houses and a church managed by a born-again sect in the area. The victims told the joint police and military investigators that the heavily armed suspects swooped down on Limonda, a far-flung village of Opol, the last town west of Misamis Oriental early Monday morning. Town Mayor Max Seno, of Opol, on Wednesday sent 2o bags of rice, five boxes of canned goods and five boxes of noodles to the Limonda victims. Seno also issued four handheld radios to the village officials to be able to monitor and report to concern authorities any incident in the village.

READ MORE
Lanao del Sur town mayor ambushed in Cagayan de Oro.

June 4, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Two motorcycle-riding men ambushed Somerado Guro, the mayor of Lumbaca-Unayan town in Lanao del Sur, in Barangay Iponan, this city, on Wednesday. Guro was on board his Hi-Lux pick-up with his wife, aide, and driver when the suspects waylaid them at a road in Zone 2, Iponan. With Guro was his wife Rohaifa, staff and nephew Abdul Rafi Guro, and driver Imbrahim Gani. Guro came from his home in a housing subdivision in Iponan and are on their way home to their Lumbaca Unayan municipality in Lanao del Sur when the gunmen opened fire at them. Major Ivan Viñas, spokesperson of the says Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (COCPO) is conducting an investigation on the ambush of Guro, his wife and his driver and staff. “As of now, we are conducting investigation and Police City Police Col. Henry Dampal has instructed our police to conduct hot pursuit operations,” Viñas said. Police investigation showed that Guro, his wife, and his driver sustained gunshot wounds. His staff, however, was unharmed. Viñas added that the suspect were following the vehicle of Guro and when it reached a 2-way road in Zone 2, Barangay Iponan, the suspects opened fire at the windows of the driver and behind the driver where Guro and his wife was seated. Witness Arsie Yee told police that after being hit, Gani managed to flee the ambush site and drove away from the assailants. The assailants were riding-in-tandem in a motorcycle. Gani managed to drive the vehicle towards Polymedic Medical Plaza in Barangay Kauswagan. During his daily press briefing, Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno condemned the shooting of Guro and his group. Moreno also asked the public not to speculate on the ambush of Guro until the police investigation yeilds results. Maj. Aldrin Baculio, Bulua police station commander, said they have yet to establish the motive of the ambush as Guro’s relatives told police the mayor is not involved in “rido” in his town.

READ MORE
CDO's third supplemental budget for 2020 approved

June 4, 2020

THE 19th City Council during its regular session Monday, June 1, presided by Vice Mayor Rainelr Joaquin V. Uy enacted an ordinance approving the Supplemental Budget No. 3 of the General Fund and Supplemental Budget No. 1 of the Special Account Local Economic Enterprises for 2020 with estimated incomes of P72.4 million and P10.5 million, respectively, as against estimated expenditures of the same. Among others, the amount will cover the implementation of the first tranche of the Modified Salary Schedule for Local Government Personnel pursuant to Republic Act No. 11466, otherwise known as the Salary Standardization Law of 2019, and the corresponding Local Budget Circular No. 121 issued by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). Under the law, the modified salary schedule for civilian personnel shall be implemented in four tranches starting January 1, 2020 to 2023. The act was passed by the Senate of the Philippines and the House of Representatives on December 2019 and December 18, 2019, respectively, and approved by President Rodrigo Duterte in January this year. According to published reports, "the President said in his letter that the salary hike was necessary to address the need to further invigorate public service with efficieney and productivity by providing all government civilian personnel a just and equitable compensation responsive to their economic needs." Appropriations for the first tranche of the salary standardization law are funded from Reserve for Salary Increase and PS Savings, and Continuine Appropriations of the city budget. 

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.