todays top stories

Moreno: Contact tracing automatically done to confirmed COVID-19 patients

March 25, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--"To the extent nga na'y confirmed nga taga Cagayan de Oro nga namatay, automatic na na ang contact tracing even if wala pa'y results," Mayor Oscar Moreno said in a press conference, March 25, here. Noting one confirmed patient who was tested positive with coronavirus disease (COVID)-19 in the city, Moreno said the local government is doing measures in fighting the disease through taking responsibility in tracing contacts, which is primarily done by the Department of Health (DOH). "We can go further kahit PUI [person under investigation] lang basta nasa NMMC [Northern Mindanao Medical Center] (even if he or she is only named PUI as long as the patient is in NMMC) and the condition is not good, mag-contact tracing na (we will conduct contact tracing already)," Moreno said. For their part in the City Health Office (CHO), Dr. Lorraine Nery said they regularly check the persons under monitoring (PUMs) to see if they have developed symptoms and if such occurs, reports should be submitted immediately. Aside from the regular monitoring of patients, the office also strengthens COVID-19 awareness campaigns including the disease's risks and prevention. As of March 24, Dr. Dave Mendoza of Department of Health Center for Health Development Northern Mindanao (DOHCHD-NM) said they have recorded 219 PUIs in the region, of which 21 are currently admitted and 35 were tested and discharged. All tests were performed by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM). From the 219 PUIs, 122 were under home quarantine while 38 were able to complete the quarantine period. Out of the 3,817 PUMs, 1,989 are undergoing a 14-day quarantine while 1,828 have completed the quarantine period. Currently, there are three positive new cases for COVID-19 bringing the total to five confirmed cases captured in Northern Mindanao with one death. (RTP/PIA10)

READ MORE
Spain surpasses China in covid-19 death counts

March 25, 2020

SPAIN KNOCKS OUT CHINA IN TERMS OF COVID-19 DEATH COUNTS EUROPE (MDN International News) - What a turn of events. Spain now has surpassed China in terms of death counts, as the deadly coronavirus surge in the past few days, infecting thousands of its people in 2 days and raising its death toll to 3,434.   China, the epicenter country of covid-19 has seemed to have found a temporary antidote to the virus that suddenly slowed down infections and deaths since last week, with its deaths almost retained to only 3,285. Italy, on the other hand, continued to increase its death toll to 6,820, as the deadly virus seemed unstoppable despite stringent rules, quarantines and lockdowns imposed by its president, to places strongly hit by covid-19, such as the Lombardy region. The United States, whose 50 States are now under seige by the deadly strain also soared its infections and deaths in the past few days. Experts feared a coronavirus outbreak is also imminent next month in the most powerful country of the world. (Editor's note: We are posting here the top 10 countries where the onslaught of the deadly coronavirus is gaining momentum in the past few days.) Based on John Hopkins' tally of the top countries severely hit by the deadly virus based on fatalities, we are posting here the top 10 countries as follows: Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez discusses with stakeholders how to contain the deadly coronavirus disease currently wrecking havoc in his country. Sanchez vows to take extraordinary measures to control the pandemic. - - Pablo Blazquez Dominguez Getty Images   1. Italy - 69,176 confirmed cases - 6,820 deaths - 8,326 recovered 2. China - 81,661 confirmed cases - 3,285 deaths - 73,773 recovered 3. Spain - 47,610 confirmed cases - 3,434 deaths - 5,367 recovered 4. Germany - 35,353 confirmed cases - 181 deaths - 3,540 recovered 5. Iran - 27,017 confirmed cases -   2,077 deaths - 9,625 recovered 6. United States - 55,243 confirmed cases - 802 deaths - 354 recovered  7. France - 22,637 confirmed cases - 1,102 deaths - 3,288 recovered 8. UK - 8,317 confirmed cases - 434 deaths - 140 recovered  9. Netherlands - 6,412 confirmed cases - 277 deaths - 3 recovered 10.Belgium - 4,937 confirmed cases - 178 deaths - 547 recovered PRINCE CHARLES TESTED POSITIVE Prince Charles,the heir of the British throne has tested positive of the coronavirus. Charles, 71-year-old, is believed having bad immune system now with his age, but he looks in good health still, a spokesperson from Clarence House said. The spokesman said the Prince of Wales was self-isolating himself from the people and his immediate families. PAKISTAN SET TO GET A LOAN TO FIGHT COVID-19 The Government of Pakistan is bent on taking another loan of $1.4 bn from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to be used in  its bid to contain the virus in the country, finance adviser Abdul Hafeez Shaikh reported. The country is also aiming to get more support from World Bank and Asian Development Bank, adviser Abdul Shaikh added. Pakistan's Sheikh added "This 1.4 billion we are asking will be a low cost fast disbursing loan," he told a news conference in Islamabad.The IMF agreed to a $6 billion financial aid programme for Pakistan last year. SWITZERLAND TO CLOSE BORDERS Meanwhile the Swiss Government has also decided to close its borders in a bid to contain the increasing number of persons under investigations for covid-19 infections. The government will close borders with Germany, Austria, France, Italy and all other Schengen zone. "Since midnight, the tightened entry requirements have also been applied to flights from all remaining Schengen states with the exception of the Principality of Liechtenstein."    PHILIPPINES 2ND SENATOR TESTED POSITIVE  Another senator of the Republic of the Philippines was tested positive of the deadly coronavirus disease. Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III told reporters he received a call on March 24th that he was positive of the virus.  As of today, March 25, there were already four doctors who succumbed to their untimely deaths as they became the country's frontliners in the fight aganst the dreaded disease. Those doctors who last served the government as frontliners in the government's continued fight against the disease include Cardiologist Israel Bactol at the Philippine Heart Center; Oncologist Rose Pulido of San Juan de Dios Hospital, and Anesthesiologist Gregorio Macasaet III of the Manila Doctors Hospital. The latest casualty in the government's frontliners was Dr.Raul Jara, Hospital Director of the Philippine Heart Center (PHC). He died of multiple complications of kidney and cardiac arrest, it was learned. His medical records showed he also became positive of the deadly coronavirus disease. Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri of Bukidnon Province was the first legislator in the country who tested positive of the virus. But Zubiri told the media he cannot identify where did he get the virus as he was very disciplined man, who follows social distancing protocols and hand shaking, eversince he heard of the deadly strain.      

READ MORE
All 50 States in America now grappling with the deadly coronavirus

March 24, 2020

AFTER EUROPE, CORONAVIRUS' 'UNSTOPPABLE' ATTACK NOW ON AMERICAN SOIL OFFICIAL SAYS AMERICA SEEMS NOT READY FOR PANDEMIC UNITED STATES (MDN International News) - The deadly coronavirus scare now reaches all the 50 States in America, with virus-dead Americans have now reached 485 and infections have also balloned to 40,961 confirmed cases.  Media reports said West Virginia was the 50th state in the US that reported its new case of the deadly coronavirus disease. Gov Jim Justice has confirmed Tuesday's test result.  The governor didn't really give justice to earlier report of its first coronavirus infection as he opted to provide no details. According to a CNN record from its own tally, reported that there is now a surge in the United States with the sudden jump of the figure.  "It probably would be several weeks or maybe longer before we know whether we had an effect," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said. "And maybe, at the end of the day, we'll see a curve that would've been way, way up." The world's total confirmed cases now reached 366,919 while those who've also recovered reached to 100,879. The death toll globally reached to 16,097. The good news is that 100,879 of the 366,919 people infected by the disease have now recovered, as China has already slowed down its death toll to a controllable level, as compared in the past weeks, where it really soared high.    Based on John Hopkins' tally yesterday (March 23) of the top countries severely hit by the deadly virus based on fatalities, we are posting here the top 10 countries as follows: 1. Italy - 53,578 confirmed cases - 5,476 deaths - 7,024 recovered 2. China - 81,496 confirmed cases - 3,274 deaths - 72,819 recovered 3. Spain - 33,603 confirmed cases - 1,756 deaths - 2,575 recovered 4. Iran - 21,638 confirmed cases -   1,685 deaths - 7,931 recovered 5. France - 16,937 confirmed cases - 676 deaths - 2,207 recovered 6. United States - 40,961 confirmed cases - 485 deaths - 176 recovered 7. United Kingdom - 5,071 confirmed cases - 234 deaths - 67 recovered 8. South Korea - 8,961 confirmed cases - 104 deaths - 2,909 recovered 9. Germany - 28,798 confirmed cases - 116 deaths - 422 recovered 10. Switzerland - 8,547 confirmed cases - 118 deaths - 115 recovered Meanwhile, two of the lawmakers in the United States tested positive for coronavirus infection. Those who were hit by the virus were Rep Ben McAdams and Rep Mario Diaz-Balart. McAdams has confirmed in a statement Wednesday (March 17) that he contracted the virus and he was confirmed positive by medical experts. Rep. Diaz-Balart, for his part, claimed he tested positive of the deadly virus on Saturday and started feeling bad about his health conditions.  McAdams told the media he had developed "mild cold-like symptoms" on Saturday. This, after he returned home from Washington. Feeling bad about his health conditions, McAdams has decided to be isolated and treated at an undisclosed place.  “I am still working for Utahns and pursuing efforts to get Utahns the resources they need as I continue doing my job from home until I know it is safe to end my self-quarantine,” McAdams wrote. “I’m doing my part as all Americans are doing to contain the spread of the virus and mitigate the coronavirus outbreak.”  

READ MORE
In first virtual council meeting - RDC-X endorses 2021 regional budget

March 24, 2020

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – An estimated P272 billion in priority programs and projects for Fiscal Year 2021 were endorsed by the full council of the Regional Development Council of Northern Mindanao on 20 March 2020. The supported budgets include 115 catalytic projects (P140.415 billion), projects under the Convergence Areas for Peace and Development program (P48 billion), activities targeted for the Sustainable Development Goals (P76 billion), as well as statutory budgets for  Gender and  Development, Persons with Disability, and Disaster Risk Reduction/Climate Change Adaptation (P57 billion) to realize the region’s goals and aspirations. Budget allocation for the infrastructure sector had the highest share with P164 billion (60% share) for seven regional line agencies (RLAs). The social sector had 32% with P87 billion for nine RLAs and nine state universities and colleges (SUCs). The economic sector proposed a budget of P15 billion (6%) for 12 RLAs; and the macro sector submitted P5.5 billion (2%) for 13 RLAs, including those in the security sector agencies. The body also approved the creation of the Special Regional Committee on the Sustainable Development Goals under the RDC-X. This committee will monitor the progress of programs aimed at contributing to the achievement of the SDGs by 2030. To support evidence-based decision making, four policy research studies covering poverty, education, and peace, security and safety were endorsed. The research studies will be undertaken by the region’s SUCs. These include the establishment of the Philippine Research Center for Bamboo under the Niche Center in the Region for Research and Development; the installation of a Regional TV Station to be housed in the Philippine Army - 4th Infantry Division Camp; and the construction of the Government Communications Academy in Manolo Fortich, Bukidnon. Through the assistance of the Department of Information and Communications Technology-Mindanao Cluster 2, the RDC-X Full Council conducted the first-ever virtual meeting in the country.  Around sixty RDC-X members, local chief executives and district representatives joined the video conference. “We made a big leap today in improving the way we do things through innovation and futuristic thinking, while supporting the government’s effort to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 through social distancing in meetings,” said RDC-X Vice Chair and NEDA-X Regional Director Mylah Faye Aurora B. Cariño. The council also welcomed Dr. Modesto Babaylan, its new Co-Chairperson for the private sector, who co-presided over the meeting. RDC-X Chairperson and Misamis Occidental Governor Philip T. Tan lauded the use of available technologies which allowed RDC-X to continue its policy and development work during the community quarantine and urged the agencies to employ similar means to save on resources. Earlier in the meeting, DOH-X Regional Director Adriano Suba-an shared brief updates on the COVID-19 measures and status in Region X. Local leaders expressed both concern and support, calling for a region-wide set of protocols to contain the spread of the disease.  This recommendation and related concerns were discussed in the region’s Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases meeting in the afternoon of the same day. (NEDA-X)

READ MORE
Water district offers free services to LGUs on making disinfectants vs. COVID-19

March 24, 2020

SAN Francisco, Agusan del Sur--The local water utility here has offered local government units in the province free technical services on the proper use of the water-based chlorine disinfectant to combat the dreaded coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). “We want to help capacitate local government units from the municipality down to the purok level on the right mixture of chlorine and water and the proper application when disinfecting open areas of their surroundings to keep it COVID-19 free,” said Elmer Luzon, general manager of San Francisco Water District (SFWD). Over the years, the Department of Health has cited the SFWD laboratory with excellent rating for proficiency testing. Many private companies and government institutions sent samples to the laboratory for bacteriological, physical and chemical tests results. Since last week, SFWD has been giving free bottles of ready-to-use chlorine disinfectants to their clients having transaction in their office. As preventive measure, clients going inside the SFWD building are asked to step on the foot bath and wash their hands with soap and observe a meter of social distancing when queuing at the cashier windows to pay their water bills. 70 percent Isopropyl alcohol are available for use to everyone. Luzon said it is important to have proper mixing of chlorine and water if only to totally eradicate COVID-19 living on the surface. “Improper mixture would just temporarily collapse the virus but not kill them,” he emphasized. Ruben Jarabata, Jr., SFWD senior chemist, said the proper and scientific mixture is seven grams of chlorine granules for every liter of water which could totally disinfect the surroundings. He recommended the municipal health office to regularly disinfect public place at least twice or even thrice a day to ensure that the dreaded virus cannot penetrate the municipality. He however warned the chlorine disinfectant is not intended for hand washing and should be avoided on the skin and eye contact. He advised those who will do the backpack spraying to wear protective gears such as goggles masks, gloves and aprons and be aware that it is harmful to aquatic environment and plants. He added the disinfectant can eliminate coronavirus on surfaces such as plastic tiles and ceramics. He however remind sprayers to be careful when hitting metal surfaces because it is corrosive that it might damage metal surfaces of cars and motorcycles. He advised to instead use non corrosive disinfectants like alcohol, detergents and Lysol Based on studies by the World Health Organization, the coronavirus can survive on hard surfaces such as plastic and stainless steel up to 72 hours and on cardboard up to 24 hours.

READ MORE
Moreno signs EO 052 enforcing 'social distancing' vs covid-19

March 24, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--As the implementation of community quarantine continues, Mayor Oscar S. Moreno signed the Executive Order (EO) No. 052 series 2020 “An Order Enforcing the Social Distancing Guidelines of Department of Transportation (DOTr) in Cagayan de Oro City and For Other Purposes," March 24.   In said order, the mayor emphasized that all passenger vehicles must abide by the guidelines set by DOTr. Public utility jeepney (PUJ), public utility buses (PUB) and public utility coaster (PUC) shall occupy only half of their seating capacity. Taxis shall only carry four passengers including the driver. Passenger utility van shall carry not more than six passengers including the driver while motorelas will carry only four passengers. Trisikad, on the other hand, shall only have one passenger to be seated in the farthest corner while motorcycles are discouraged to have a back ride.   The EO also indicates that all the passengers shall observe one-seat-apart policy.   Knowing the consequences that this policy will entail, Moreno tapped the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) to plan and generate incentive programs to those operators that will be affected. To guarantee full implementation, Cagayan de Oro City Police Office COCPO), Roads and Traffic Administration (RTA), Sangguniang Barangay and barangay tanods were all ordered to assist and implement the said EO.   The operators and drivers are all expected to obey the said EO, and anyone who will violate may face charges as provided for under the law. Further, permits of the vehicles may be revoked. (JAKA/PIA10)

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.