todays top stories

Reyes assumes temporarily as Cocpo director

May 24, 2019

LT. Col. Reynante Reyes is the new officer-in-charge of the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo), not Lt. Col. Dexter Paje as reported earlier in another newspaper. Cocpo spokesperson Lt. Col. Mardy Hortillosa clarified this in an interview even as he said that Paje would temporarily assume as Cocpo deputy director for administration, the post to be vacated by Reyes. The untimely change in command was triggered by Wednesday's motorcycle accident of Cocpo director Col. Nelson Aganon, who is currently in a two-week induced sedation. Hortillosa explained that Reyes was supposed to assume in his new role as Police Regional Office (PRO) 10 deputy director for intelligence when the accident happened. "Prior sa hitabo, ang atong bag-ong regional director Brig. Gen. Rafael Santiago nangita og makatimbang kaniya isip R-2 (Intelligence) ug si Col. Reyes ang nahunahunaan fit for the position," he said. But at around 3:00 p.m. last Wednesday when Aganon executed his final practice in the motorcycle long jump obstacle course as part of mandatory training at the Army's Camp Evangelists here, the police official hit the ground hard after he lost control of his bike midair. Aganon was immediately rushed to a private hospital nearby where physicians induced him to a forced medical coma for a two-week observation after he sustained internal head injuries. The regional police headquarters Camp Alagar immediately halted Reyes' transfer and ordered him to temporarily assume the Cocpo directorship. For his part, Reyes vowed to continue all the programs implemented by Aganon while waiting for his healthy recovery.

READ MORE
Abante Mindanao (Abamin) losses seat in Congress

May 23, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO (MDN digital, May 23) Abante Mindanao or Abamin lost its bid for a seat in congress based on the final tally made by the Commission on Elections sitting as the National Board of Canvassers during the 2013 Midterm National and Local Elections. The losing party-list started by the Rodriguez's in Cagayan de Oro few years ago did not reach the allowable number of votes in order to occupy 1 seat and represent the marginalized sector in Southern Philippines. MDN tried to contact Abamin's first nominee to shed light on their losing bid in this year's midterm elections but failed. The comelec on Wedneday, May 22, ended its tabulation on the winning partylist groups and proclaimed 51 winners in party-list elections. Two of the party-list groups were able to grab 3 seats and would have three representatives each of these party-list groups. They were ACT-CIS and Bayan Muna, while other party-list groups also got two seats each. They were Ako Bicol, Citizens's Battle Against Corruption (CIBAC), Ang Probinsyano, 1Pacman, Marino, and Probinsyano Ako. Below is the complete list of winning party-list groups proclaimed by Comelec: ACT-CIS - 3 seats Bayan Muna - 3 seats AKO Bicol - 2 seats Citizens' Battle Against Corruption (CIBAC) - 2 seats Ang Probinsyano - 2 seats 1PACMAN - 2 seats Marino - 2 seats Probinsyano Ako - 2 seats Senior Citizens - 1 seat Magsasaka - 1 seat Association of Philippine Electric Cooperatives (APEC) - 1 seat Gabriela - 1 seat An Waray - 1 seat Cooperative Natcco Network (COOP-NATCCO) - 1 seat ACT Teachers - 1 seat Philippine Rural Electronic Cooperatives Association, Inc (PHILRECA) - 1 seat Ako Bisaya - 1 seat Tingog Sinirangan - 1 seat Abono - 1 seat Buhay - 1 seat Duterte Youth - 1 seat Kalinga - 1 seat Puwersa ng Bayaning Atleta (PBA) - 1 seat Alliance of Organizations, Networks and Associations of the Philippines (ALONA) - 1 seat Rural Electronic Consumers and Beneficiaries of Development and Advancement, Inc (RECOBODA) - 1 seat Bagong Henerasyon - 1 seat Bahay - 1 seat Construction Workers' Solidarity (CWS) - 1 seat Abang Lingkod - 1 seat A Teacher - 1 seat Barangay Health Wellness (BHW) - 1 seat Sagip - 1 seat Trade Union Congress Party (TUCP) - 1 seat Magdalo - 1 seat Galing sa Puso Party (GP) - 1 seat Manila Teachers - 1 seat Rebolusyonaryong Alyansang Makabansa (RAM) - 1 seat Anakalusugan - 1 seat Ako Padayon - 1 seat AAMBIS-OWA - 1 seat Kusug Tausug - 1 seat Dumper Philippines Taxi Drivers Association, Inc (Dumper-PTDA) - 1 seat Talino at Galing ng Pinoy (TGP) - 1 seat Public Safety Alliance for Transformation and Rule of Law, Inc (PATROL) - 1 seat Anak Mindanao (AMIN) - 1 seat Agricultural Sector Alliance of the Philippines (AGAP) - 1 seat LPG Marketers Association, Inc (LPGMA) - 1 seat OFW Family - 1 seat

READ MORE
Bikoy surrenders to PNP; reveals video series are all lies

May 23, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MDN digital, May 23) - The man on the hood and who claims to be Bikoy in a series of videos destroying President Duterte and his close allies has surrendered Wednesday night to PNP chief Albayalde. video credit to DZMM Peter Joemel Advincula alias "Bikoy" said during a press conference that those series of videos dubbed as "Ang Totoong Narcolist" were all lies and he was allegedly contracted P500,000 to do the videos alleging that the Duterte family and close allies are involved into the illegal drugs trade. He said all those are allegedly orchestrated by the Liberal Party, Senator Antonio Trillanes, his personal aide and all other persons behind the production of said video series. PROJECT SODOMA Advincula who surrendered Wednesday night to the Northern Police District revealed that after the results of the elections, where all the Otso Derecho candidates lost, Trillanes and some other contacts have already distance themselves and he could not contact them anymore. "Until last night I have been contacting Senator Trillanes but his staff would no longer allow him, saying there is a protocol to be followed when contacting the senator. "Bakit dati kahit gabi na pwede kong ma-contact si Sonny (referring to Sen. Trillanes)," the hooded man on the videos asked. Kaya buo na talaga ang desisyon ko na isisiwalat ang totoo dahil baka itumba na nila ako kasi tapos na ang part ko at ita-transfer daw nila ako sa isang secluded na lugar. Natatakot napo ako. Kagabi pagkatapos umalis ang tauhan ni Trillanes, tumakas na ako at pumunta na sa pulisya para humingi ng tulong." Aside from the fact that he was not given the P500,000 as promised after the videos he already feels unsafe. In their house in Donsol, he said, there were unknown personalities roaming around their ancestral home as reported by his brother. Advincula claimed Project Sodoma is aimed at destrying the credibility of the administration and eventually install Vice President Leni Robredo to become the country's president. If that happens, Bikoy said, Trillanes is in the line to get appointed as the vice president of the country. The preparation for Project Sodoma, he said, took them almost a year to finish to make it appear that the videos and evidences presented were all true and it can easily capture the sentiments of the people. Earlier, Advincula accused Duterte's family and close friends senator-elect Bong Go, Paolo Duterte, Manases Carpio, of being involved in a big drug syndicate in the country. video credit to GMA7

READ MORE
Customs intercept garbage from Australia in MisOr

May 23, 2019

THE Bureau of Customs (BOC) at the Mindanao Container Terminal (MCT) in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental has intercepted a cargo of municipal waste from Australia bound for the cement plant in Holcim Philippines in Lugait municipality. In an interview, BOC port collector John Simon said the 211,140 kilograms of municipal waste in nine containers were disembarked from the Antigua and Barbuda-flagged Maria Katharina last May 7. The cargo was supposed to be transferred directly to Holcim Philippines because the company has a Super Green Lane privilege which allows importers to fasttrack the transport of their goods from the port directly to their premises. But Simon said he ordered the shipment held upon reading that the cargo was originally declared as “processed engineered fuel” by the broker and consignee. “Processed engineered fuel is not a commodity that is listed in any tariff book in the world, particularly here in the Philippines. So it rang an alarm signal on my head and I ordered the shipment held,” Simon said. Simon then assembled a team from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and representatives of Holcim Philippines to open the shipment and it was discovered by the team that the containers were loaded with municipal waste. Municipal waste is a waste type consisting of everyday items that are discarded by the public in a given locality, in this case Australia. “Closer examination indicate pieces of assorted scrap plastic, cellophane, wrappers, chunks of hard plastic, textiles, fibers, wood chips, glass cullet, stones, soil, paper and other shredded waste materials,” read part of Simon’s report. The containers full of garbage were loaded onto Maria Katharina in Singapore but its origin was Australia. Simon immediately ordered the whole shipment detained since it was a misdeclaration, a violation of Section 1400 of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act. Meanwhile, Holcim Philippines’ accreditation has been downgraded from “green” to “yellow”, meaning cargoes consigned to it must pass through Customs but do not necessarily undergo x-ray or physical examination. This was the third time that garbage from other countries were intercepted in Philippine shores. In 2013, 69 containers of trash from Canada were intercepted in the ports of Subic and Manila. Just last year, a total of 5,177 metric tons of garbage from South Korea was seized also at the Mindanao Container Terminal in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.

READ MORE
Huawei founder hits back at US 

May 22, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO (MDN digital, May21) - The trade war between Beijing and Washington continues. Huawei's founder Ren Zhengfei defended his company on Tuesday regarding the United States intensified pressure on Huawei's partner companies based in the US territory, saying America is under estimating the strength of China's telecom giant. Zhengfei told reporters in Beijing that Huawei's 5G will absolutely not be affected. "The current practice of politicians underestimates our strength," he told reporters. As US sanctions on Huawei started last week, its founder only shrugged off US attempts to persuade US allies around the globe to stop connecting with China's technology, saying that HUawei is likely becoming a threat to their nations national security. In terms of 5G technologies, Zhengfei said, it would still take other companies to catch up on Huawei. This, even as US President Trump has declared the so-called "national emergency." This declaration of Trump gives him much power to blacklist companies seen as having post a deadly threat to the US national security, apparently referring to China's telecom giant. As this developed, the US Commerce Department started banning American companies transferring or selling US technology to Huawei.    Google, one of Huawei's biggest business partners has already announced on Monday that it is cutting ties with Huawei to follow US sanctions. But it claried in a news briefing that right now Google is still supporting Huawei technology. Google's move supprting US sanctions would definitely hurt Huawei. In fact, it would have a dramatic impact especially on smart phone users of Huawei because they would no longer have access to Google's proprietary services, including Google Maps, Gmail Apps.   

READ MORE
First Time jobseeker gets free NBI clearance, TIN, birth certificate, etc

May 22, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO (MDN digital, May 22) - Good news to first time jobseekers! President Rodrigo Duterte has signed with finality Republic Act 11261, an act waiving government fees and charges in the issuance of documents required in the application for employment for first time jobseekers. Republic Act 11261, or otherwise known as "First Jobseekers Assistance Act" aims to help fresh graduates and those applying for a job for the first time but do not have enough means to secure government documents provided in the application process. According to the new law signed by President Duterte on April 10, the following are documents free of charge for first time job applicants: 1. Police clearance certificate 2. National Bureau of Investigation clearance 3. Barangay clearance 4. Medical certificate from a public hospital 5. Birth certificate 6. Marriage certificate 7. Transcript of academic records issued by state colleges and universities 8. Tax Identification Number (TIN) 9. Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID) card 10. Other documentary requirements issued by the government that may be required by employers for job applicants This law takes effect after 15 days of publication in an Official Gazette or in any newspaper where it was published.  Source: Senate.gov.ph

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.