todays top stories

Three Gingoog students make alcohol dispenser out of recyclables

July 29, 2020

THREE college students from Gingoog City have invented an automatic alcohol dispenser made of recycled materials. The three – identified as Jaime Torayno, Mary Ann Bernolirao and Bebie John Atol, who are all taking up BS Information Technology at Gingoog City Colleges – presented their work in public via a courtesy call last Monday before Mayor Erick Cañosa. According to Torayno, the automatic alcohol dispenser was made all out of recyclable materials such as plywood, stick glue and water bottle. The Information Technology students then inputted a sensor and a USB-based backup power into the system. The total cost of making the project was only P800. The invention stemmed from the trio’s summer Electronics subject which was conducted in the middle of the pandemic last month under instructor Dexter Raut-raut. Torayno said that the health crisis that has gripped the world was what inspired them to produce something relevant and practical for the people to use. Torayno said their invention is an alternative to the more expensive automatic alcohol dispensers that are available commercially and is ideal to be installed in strategic public places such as bus terminals, shopping malls and public markets. No less than Mayor Erick Cañosa was impressed with the students’ work. “I am so proud of them because first of all, they are Gingoognons. And as young Gingoognons, they have applied what they have learned into something practical and coupled that with the value of caring towards others. Amidst this crisis that we are facing right now, I am happy to know that the youth are among those who are taking the lead in sincere concern,” Cañosa said. (“Usa ka dakong pasidungog sa atong Dakbayan nga aduna kitay mga potensiyal nga mga estudyante  nga nakahatag og usa ka dakong tabang unsaon nga mabatukan ang pagkuyanap sa COVID -19 virus sa ilang ginagmay nga pamaagi.”) With that, Cañosa is planning to order five of the units to be installed in City Hall and other key public places in Gingoog City.

READ MORE
Duterte warns of expropriation if telcos don't improve services

July 28, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte in his fifth state of the nation address (SONA), held at Batasang Pambansa, warned of possible expropriation if giant telcos in the country don't improve their services. The president, was of course, referring to Globe Telecom, Smart and PLDT that were always the subject of a lot of complaints from their subscribers due to alleged 'poor services.' they provide to customers. Duterte said: “You might not want what I intend to do with you. Kindly improve the services before December. I want to call Jesus Christ (in) Bethlehem, better have that line cleared.”    Senator Vicente Sotto III also advised telecommunication companies to seriously consider improving the slow internet connection in most part of the country, or else face government expropriation. “I will advise the telcos to shape up. They should 'seriously' take up what the President said." Sotto said the president can do that following a process. “The President can do that. There is a process. That is possible. The government can remove those franchises anytime with another bill or with another law." “I don’t think it was intended directly to foreign investors. It’s really a point directly headed towards these telcos.I feel talagang he’s so disappointed and he has people telling him that a lot of people are disappointed,” Sotto told Abs Cbn News Channel. Meanwhile, Yoly Crisanto, Globe senior vice president for Corporate Communications refuted the president's accusations against the giant telcos in the country. In a press statement, Crisanto said Globe has already infused 1.2 billion US dollars for the network's upgrading program this year.  Crisanto said part of the improvement program included in the multi-million budget include 4G/LTE and 5G for Globe At Home internet services. The Globe executive said the Philippines, is in fact, among the best internet connectivity providers in the country based on a survey by independent mobile analytics. The Philippines, Crisanto said, ranked number four in Asia for most improved internet services. Crisanto maintained that the problem is not with globe why far-flung areas in the countryside cannot be connected with the internet services they provide. The problem, Crisanto said, is still in the local government units and the national agencies composed of the Department of Health and CAAP that prevented Globe from establishing more cell sites in the country.      But still, Crisanto said, Globe is supporting the move of President Duterte to improve the services of all telcos so that the people will enjoy fast internet connectivity in the coming days of the "new normal."

READ MORE
(Photo) The difference between a boy and an adult

July 27, 2020

A boy wears face mask while playing in a street in Barangay Kauswagan, Cagayan de Oro City while an adult opted not to wear any mask despite the goverment warning that all residents must wear face shield when going out residence. Photo by Gerry Lee Gorit

READ MORE
MisOr top execs negative for COVID-19 RDT test

July 27, 2020

MISAMIS Oriental--Two top officials in Misamis Oriental were found negative for COVID-19 after an initial Rapid Detection Test (RDT) on Monday. Provincial Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano and Dr. Jerie Calingasan, the provincial health officer and head of the Provincial Inter-Agency Task Force COVID, were found negative of COVID-19 during the RDT test. The results of Emano and Calingasan’s RDT test were released after reports that a government employee at the provincial capitol office was found positive for COVID-19. Emano did not confirm the report, but issued a statement on Monday for the provincial capitol workers to adopt preventive measures against the COVID-19. During the virtual flag ceremonies Monday, Emano exhorted the employees to follow all protocols to prevent from being contracted with the COVID-19. The governor emphasizes the use of a face mask, the frequent washing of hands with soap, disinfection with alcohol, social distancing and cough etiquette. The provincial government of Misamis Oriental has adopted several measures to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 in the province since March this year through strict monitoring and observance of the protocol issued by the Department of Health (DOH).

READ MORE
Duterte pushes for death penalty anew by lethal injection

July 27, 2020

MANILA, Philippines (MDN National News) — President Rodrigo Duterte during his state of the nation address (SONA) has pushed again for the revival of death penalty thru lethal injection.  But this time, the president has specified the death penalty is specially for drug related cases in the country, wherein despite of the pandemic and massive arrest made by law enforcers, still continued to exist. The President said during this fifth Sona at Batasang Pambansa: “I reiterate the swift passage of the law reviving the death penalty by lethal injection for crimes specified under the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.” Duterte said reviving the death penalty will help instill fear among criminals involve in heinous crimes and drug trafficking.  The death penalty ended in 2006. According to Psychological Association of the Philippines (PAP) the country is among the 140 countries of the world that abolished or ended the death penalty law, either in practice or in law. Yet, President Duterte wants to reinstate capital punishment, citing among others, the proliferation of drug traffickers in the country due to very lenient laws. PAP has presented arguments in its website to support its position, citing among others: 1. Observations about the practice of capital punishment point to its discriminatory nature. In the Philippines, it is typically the poorer sector who get this ultimate penal sanction. The majority of those sentenced to die have incomes below minimum wage (FLAG, 2000), unable to afford the legal services to defend themselves in a long process (CHR, 2007). Poorer, less educated Filipinos would not have the intellectual preparedness to think through ways of defending themselves (Te, 1996). This places them at a serious disadvantage. 2. Judicial flaws compromise the validity of the death penalty. These may include incompetent counsel, inadequate investigatory services, or even outright police and prosecutorial violations of judicial procedures. In the Philippines, torture or ill treatment of suspects to coerce confessions or to implicate others is commonplace. Victims often fail to lodge complaints against the police due to intimidation, fear of reprisals, and lack of funds (Amnesty International, 2002). 3. History also points to gross misapplications of the death penalty law, with vulnerable individuals protected by Philippine law from capital punishment finding themselves on death row. In 2003, there were 7 children in death row along with adult convicts (Amnesty International, 2003). The year 2000 saw 5 persons aged 70 or over in death row (FLAG, 2000, cited in Amnesty International, 2002). These examples show that it is not always certain whether the right person is convicted and, in this light, the death penalty is too high a price to pay when innocent people are convicted.    

READ MORE
Duterte to undergo swab test before SONA

July 26, 2020

MANILA, Philippines (MDN National News) - A top-ranking official of the government revealed to the media that President Rodrigo Duterte is going to take the swab test on July 26, before his state of the nation address (SONA) on Monday. Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles confirmed this report on Saturday, July 25, to the media.  Prior to Nograles revelation of the president's swab test, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque also announced to the media that Duterte will take the RT-PCR test. Nograles also said not only the president will undergo swab testing but also those invited to join the president's regular state of the nation address. The president, according to Nograles, want to physically deliver his Sona before a Congress' joint session that will be held at the Batasang Pambansa in Quezon City. Those official, Nograles said, who will test positive of the swab test or rapid test, will no longer be allowed to attend the Sona as a precautionary measure. Nograles said: “By any unforeseen circumstances, mukhang preparado naman ang Kongreso sa tanggap nila kay Pangulong Duterte para sa kanyang State of the Nation Address doon sa House of Representatives.” “Ang kaibahan nga lang, iilan lang ang makaka-attend. Iilang mga kongresista, piling pili. Pati ang mga senador, piling pili para magkakaroon talaga ng social distancing.” Meanwhile, Senator Vicente Sotto III in a radio interview said he will be attending physically at the Batasang Pambansa. The senator also confirmed the senators are scheduled to have their swab testing on Monday morning since the sona will be done in the afternoon.  "Yung ibang magpa-participate dapat. Lahat 'yun naka-sked bukas. Kaming senator naka-sked Monday ng umaga. Naka-sked uli kami ng PCR test sa Monday," the senator said adding that all senators will be in attendence, if all tested negative of the swab test. Senators Juan Miguel Zubiri, Koko Pimentel and Sonny Angara all tested positive of the deadly coronavirus disease in the past months.    ALSO READ: ZUBIRI TESTS POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS DISEASE SENATOR ANGARA POSITVE OF THE DEADLY VIRUS   

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.