todays top stories

Improvised explosives destroyed in North Cotabato

April 7, 2021

MAKILALA, North Cotabato – The government has destroyed 48 units of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) they recovered during military operations against the communist rebels. Lieutenant Charles Ian Parel, Officer of the 39th Infantry Battalion (39thIB) said the destruction of IEDs were done in a far-flung area in Barangay Sinkatulan, this province. Parel said “this is the second batch of IEDs and other bomb-making materials we have destroyed from our operations against the NPA since last year.”  He said in February, they have also secured and blasted an IED disruptor as part of the initial batch of over 60 bombs seized during operations against the retreating group of the New People's Army (NPA) rebels. Some materials in bomb-making that were recently seized included explosive substances, PVC pipes, and cut round bars. These were used by the NPA as anti-personnel shield against the government forces. “We expect that more IEDs and firearms will be recovered by our troopers as the NPAs are dwindling in number in North Cotabato due to the series of surrenders of its members the past several months,” the military officer narrated. The disposal of recovered IEDs, and firearms are regular activities of the Philippine Army in the province to avoid re-used of said improvised bombs and to protect the citizens. The Philippine Government including the countries of New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia have listed the New People's Army rebels as a terrorist organization. - PNA  

READ MORE
Ambush in Sultan Kudarat hurts police officer

April 7, 2021

SULTAN KUDARAT, Maguindanao - A police officer was wounded Monday (April 5) in an ambush perpetrated by unidentified suspects on board a motorcycle, a top-ranking police official reported.  Colonel Donald Madamba, Maguindanao police director identified the victim as Patrolman An-Nur Diocolano Haron, 30, and a resident of this city. Haron was assigned to Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (PRO-BARMM) regional police headquarters. With the ambush of Haron, the police forces are implementing a heightened alert. "No one gets in and out of the municipality without being fully inspected,” the colonel said. Police investigation disclosed that Police Officer Haron was reportedly tailed by the suspects while on his way home in Cotabato City early evening. When the suspects got a good angle they immediately fired at Haron along the National Highway in Barangay Rebuken, Sultan Kudarat. Witnesses reported to responding police probers that the suspects immediately fled to unknown directions after seeing the victim slumped at the roadside and bathed in blood. The policemen immediately responded to the crime scene, and with the help of bystanders, brought the victim to the nearby hospital for treatment. Madamba said the assailants are still in Cotabato City since the policemen manning the checkpoints were immediately ordered to block the suspects.   A CCTV footage from an adjacent establishment is still being checked by police authorities as it may help in the ongoing investigation. - with PNA report  

READ MORE
3 dead, 11 injured in Bukidnon mishap

April 5, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY: Three died while 11  others were injured in a vehicular accident in Quezon, Bukidnon, the police said Sunday. Maj Jiselle Longakit, the spokesperson of the Bukidnon’ Provincial Police Office, said that the names of the fatalities were withheld while the  injured were taken to the hospitals in Bukidnon. She said that the accident took place along Sayre Highway in San Jose, Quezon, Bukidnon Saturday evening between a pick up truck and a tricab carrying 11 passengers, including the three minors. Longakit said that the Izuzu pickup with Plate number KDO 8042 driven by Fervent Salcedo, 37, of Cagayan de Oro bumped the tricab with Plate number KC 94854 carrying 11 passengers driven by Rex Villanon, 22, San Jose, Bukidnon. The injured 11 passengers were immediately rushed to the Bukidnon’ Provincial Hospital for treatment, but attending doctors declared  the three minors dead on arrival, Longakit said. The police had taken custody of both the driver of the pickup and the tricab for Further investigation and for  the filing of appropriate charges, Longakit said. -0-

READ MORE
Police net 59 on Holy Week’s anti-illegal gambling drive 

April 5, 2021

CAMP ALAGAR, Cagayan de Oro City: A total of 59 persons were rounded up in a region-wide anti-illegal cockfighting drive on Maundy Thursday and Holy Friday, the police regional command said Saturday. Capt. Frank Sabud, of the police regional command here, said that the police nabbed a total of  39 suspects engaged in illegal cockfighting on Holy Friday while 20 other suspects were collared on Maundy Thursday. According to Sabud, a total of 73 fighting cocks and about P 8,000 bet money were also seized during the two-day operations on Maundy Thursday and Holy Friday. He said that the regional police command launched a total of 17 anti-illegal cockfighting drives in various provinces in Northern Mindanao during the two- day period with Lanao Del Norte and Bukidnon topping the list of violators. Sabud said that suspects would be charged with violation of Presidential Decree 449 or the Cock Fighting Law. 

READ MORE
P3.4 M “Shabu” busted in Cagayan de Oro on Black Saturday

April 5, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY -  Law enforcers here seized suspected “Shabu” worth P3.4 million in a “ Black Saturday” buy-bust operation in Puerto, a coastal village east of the city the police reported Sunday.   Two suspects were arrested in the operations pulled by the combined elements of the police, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), the police said.   Police  identified the suspects as Andy Von A. Macarandan, 33, jobless, of Ilaya, Bgy. Balulang, and Ijay E. Pindringuez, 30, taxi driver, of Bgy. Balulang, all of Cagayan de Oro City.   Capt. Frank Sabud, the acting spokesperson of the police regional command here, said that Macarandan is a High Value Individual listed in the Directorate of Intelligence.   Seized from the suspects were the buy-bust money amounting to P 100,000, a mixture of genuine and counterfeit peso bills, 500 grams of illegal drugs believed to be “Shabu” ( Methamphetamine Hydrochloride) wrapped in a tied transparent cellophane.   Sabud said that the taxi driven by Pindringuez believed used in the delivery and transport of the illegal drugs was also seized by the law enforcers.   Charges with violation of Republic Act 9165 otherwise known as the “Comprehensive Dangerous Drug Act of 2002” would be filed against the suspects, Sabud said. -0-

READ MORE
Town dad ambushed by motorcycle riding-in-tandem in Zamboanga Sibugay

April 5, 2021

ZAMBOANGA SIBUGAY - A councilor in the municipality of Mabuhay, this province, died after unidentified assailants peppered him with bullets, police authorities reported Monday. Police investigators identified the victim as Councilor Alvarez Dammang, 45, of Mabahuay municipality. He died after the ambush due to multiple gunshot wounds while his driver, Alamsa Sabturani, was in critical condition at the hospital. Investigation disclosed that the town councilor and his driver were also on board a motorcycle heading to Talusan town. When they were at the Barangay Poblacion, a motorcycle riding in tandem suddenly alighted and without provocation peppered them with bullets. The still unidentified suspects were armed with an M-16 armalite rifle when they ambushed the city councilor and his driver. After seeing the victim bathed in blood, they immediately speed off towards Barangay Mahayay in Talusan. Police investigators are still 'facing a blank wall' as to the motive of the killing of Dammang. Earlier, Mabuhay Vice Mayor Restituto Calogne was also shot to death by still unknown assailants. The police theorized the killings possibly involves politics but they have yet to issue official statements while investigations are still going on. Meanwhile, Brig General Ronaldo Genaro Ylagan, PRO-9 regional director has already ordered the manhunt of the suspects and thorough investigation of the crime. -  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.