todays top stories

CHR expresses concern over Abs-Cbn franchise renewal

June 14, 2019

  Share METRO MANILA (MDN National News, June 14) - With President Rodrigo Duterte against the renewal of the giant TV network in the country, ABS CBN could be closed in 2020. Jacqueline De Guia, spokesperson of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) revealed her deep concern after she heard on the move by the House of Representatives to allegedly "freeze" the bill seeking renewal of abs-cbn legislative franchise.  De Guia said in a statement the services provided by television giant ABS CBN owned by the Lopez group are "beyond the whims of politics." She said “If the network has committed any violation, it must be tackled through due process.” She added: “Non-renewal can be tantamount to shutting down the network. If an entire media giant would be toppled down due to a political caprice, it could signal the beginning of a bleaker state of press freedom in the country and a catapult to the wave of previous assaults to media.” It was earlier reported that House Bill 4349, which proposes for the extension of abs-cbn franchise for the next 25 years was still pending at the committee level for almost three years now. In 2020, the abs cbn franchise is going to expire, it was learned.  This, even as the House Committee on Legislative Franchises failed to submit a report on the said franchise renewal before the 17th Congress adjourned its last session. ABS-CBN did not comment on the reported speculations regarding the bill when interviewed by reporters. Meanwhile, President Rodrigo Duterte last year revealed he is personally not in favor of the renewal of the TV network's franchise, accusing that the network allegedly swindle him. Duterte also accused the TV network as well as The Philippine Daily Inquirer of what he termed as "slanted" and "unfair" reporting on his administration. The CHR also sounded alarm bells on the reported illegal arrest of journalist Margarita Valle at Laguindingan International Airport. Valle was mistakenly identified as a certain Elsa Renton, the suspect with multiple murder cases and arson. Renton has a standing warrants of arrest for several cases filed in court. She said “We reiterate utmost compliance to the requirements of the Constitution in carrying out arrest warrants. There are no excuses to circumvent the standards enumerated in the bill of rights especially by those duty-bound to uphold it.”  The CHR spokesperson also noted the mistaken arrest of a suspect raised fears on the reported growing cases of harassment and intimidation meted on some individuals and groups , and even inlcuding the members of the Fourth State, which is the media. ### ---       ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter  

READ MORE
Kapa founder will meet with Pres Duterte today in Gensan

June 13, 2019

  Share CAGAYAN DE ORO (Mindanao New digital, June 13) - Kapa founder Pastor Joel Apolinario is reported to meet with President Rodrigo Duterte today in General Santos City. WATCH THE LIVE VIDEO FEED BELOW: This was confirmed by Pastor Apolinario in a phone patch during a prayer rally of thousands of members of Kapa held at Acharon Complex in General Santos City, and other parts of the country. Another big gathering of Kapa members yesterday was also held at Quezon City memorial Apolinario assured his 5-million strong members to stay calm as a meeting with the president is being arranged today to appeal to the president to give Kapa a chance to prove they are a strong religious organization and not a ponzi scheme as alleged in news reports. Several days ago, agents of the National Bureau of Investigation from Metro Manila raided most of the offices nationwide of Kapa Ministry International by virtue of a search warrant and upon orders of President Duterte aired live on Pastor Apollo Quiboloy's Sonshine Radio/TV. Meanwhile, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has also denied allegations that Pastor Apollo Quiboloy has a hand in the immediate closure of Kapa Ministry International.###   ---       ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter  

READ MORE
Duterte says Kapa is a continuing crime, urges donors to stopĀ 

June 13, 2019

  Share CAGAYAN DE ORO (MDN National News, June 13) - President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said Kapa Ministry International, Inc is a continuing crime and urged the people and its members to stop donating. The president was in General Santos City and distributed Certificate of Land Ownership Award in time that Kapa Ministry was also holding a 2-day prayer rally in hopes that Pres Duterte would hear their appeal to consider their ministry to operate again. President Duterte said: “Kanang naa ko’y tambag. Hinay-hinay na’g baligya para ikapital sa KAPA. Sige. Sige iprenda kay ugma ipatawag ta mo’g usab kay palinyahon ta mo ngari. Sumbag ang inyong madawat nako. Babae’g lalaki.”  “Ang akong gi-ingon sa NBI ug sa police- Dakpa! kay ang estafa, sa atong balaud, nga gipasar sa Congress, large-scale estafa kay non-bailable, kamong tanan naa sa kapa mogawas gani na inyong pangalan sa papel, nga morag benefactor-pagbantay mo, maaresto gani mo, walay mahayay,” was the president's stern warning to the 5-million strong members of Kapa Founder Pastor Joel Apolinario. Meanwhile, the Kapa Ministry founder has maintained they can sustain the operation of the ministry especially on the monthly pay out of 30 percent blessings or love gifts. "Kanang mga scammer nga tinood dili nila ma-sustain kay wala man silay mga businesses to support their operation. Pero ang Kapa Ministry aduna man kita daghang negosyo nga maka-sustain sa operation sa Kapa," Pastor Apolinario claimed, adding that they will comply whatever needed papers imposed by the government. KAPA businesses to sustain operation One of the members of Kapa told MDN digital that contrary to reports that the ministry is dependent on donations, Kapa Ministry right now has lots of businesses to sustain its operations since it operated three years ago. He said the ministry has a hospital in Tagum City, gasoline stations, computer business, mining, and 25 other businesses. It also has a big farm and during harvest season all members buy rice in Kapa offices for only P30/kilo. Late aftrenoon also yesterday, Kapa founder Joel Apolinario visited his thousands of members at Acharon Sports Complex and assured them that Kapa would continue to operate and they would comply whatever lacking legal documents needed by the Philippine government agencies.  

READ MORE
Defense chief denounces Chinese for abandoning Filipino fishermen in West Philippine Sea after collision

June 12, 2019

  Share METRO MANILA (MDN National News, June 12) - Defense chief Delfin Lorenzana denounced the actions taken by Chinese fishermen, who left the Filipino fishermen after their fishing vessels collided in West Philippine Sea Sunday night. Lives of twelve fishermen were in danger on that very night the Chinese fishermen left them. Fortunately, a Vietnamese fishing vessel arrived in time and rescued the Filipino fishermen. The Filipino fishermen were onboard F/B Gimver1 when they met a collision incident with a Chinese fishing vessel  near Recto Bank in West Philippine Sea. "We denounce the actions of the Chinese fishing vessel for immediately leaving the incident scene abandoning the 22 Filipino crewmen to the mercy of the elements," defense chief Lorenzana said. Lorenzana also told reporters: "We condemn in the strongest terms the cowardly action of the Chinese fishing vessel and its crew for abandoning the Filipino crew. This is not the expected action from a responsible and friendly people."  The ship of the 12 Filipino fishermen was anchored when a Chinese fishing vessel accidentally hit it. But Filipinos were annoyed as the Chinese fishermen did not bother to help them, instead they left them worrying.  The military coordinated with the rescue of the fishermen which also lead the Vietnamese fishermen to help and conducted the rescue operation. Lorenzana "thanked the captain and crew of Vietnamese vessel, for saving the lives of the 22 Filipino crew."  The defense chief has also called for the formal investigation of the said case in Philippine Sea and vowed to do diplomatic steps to prevent from repeating the same mistake. It can be recalled that in the past years, China and the Philippines has been involved in maritime dispute issues. ###  ----     ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter    

READ MORE
Mindanao solons to meet in Phividec tomorrow to discuss garbage row

June 12, 2019

REPRESENTATIVES of the South Korean government are scheduled to meet Filipino officials and private sector representatives Thursday morning (June 13) at the Phividec Industrial Estate in Misamis Oriental. Misamis Oriental Second District Congresswoman Juliette T. Uy has confirmed her attendance. Other Mindanaoan solons were invited to the bilateral meeting. "Details of returning the remaining Verde Soko garbage totalling over five thousand metric tons are expected to be ironed out during the bilateral meeting," Uy said. "I hope the Verde Soko officials show their faces there, take responsibility, and shoulder the shipping costs, so the South Korean government would not have to. It is good to note the assurance, disclosed by Customs Commissioner Rey Guerrero, of the South Korean government to shoulder the shipping cost," Uy also said. In his report to Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez, Customs Commissioner Rey Guerrero said, "the Korean government has expressed its commitment in collaborating with the Philippine government to execute the repatriation of these materials should Verde Soko fail to follow the Notice of Repatriation Order which it issued, and its willingness to shoulder the shipping cost without the arrastre and demurrage charges." “The Port of CDO District Collector informed that PHIVIDEC has already applied for power supply with the Cagayan de Oro Electric Power Light Company (CERALCO) in order that the Balling and Compacting Machine, which are already in place, can be used in the compacting and bagging of the waste materials prior to their shipment to Korea,” Guerrero said in that same report. PR

READ MORE
Ben Tulfo to the rescue; hits DSWD chief Bautista's demands

June 12, 2019

  Share METRO MANILA (MDN National News, June 12) - "Blood is thicker than water."  Broadcaster Ben Tulfo of BitagTV lambasted Social Welfare Secretary Rolando Bautista for citing several conditions before accepting the apology of his brother, Erwin Tulfo of Radyo Singko. Erwin Tulfo reportedly issued vindictives on DSWD secretary Bautista for not answering the phone, as he wants to hear from the DSWD secretary's mouth some issues and concerns in the social welfare office.    Ben in his Twitter aacount tweeted: "P***** na 'brotherhood'! Ang KAKAPAL! Ayon sa kumag na OIC, mag-sorry daw sa lahat ng media outlet. 'BUTAW' na P300k kinakailangan para mahugasan ang kasalanan." He was simply referring to Sec Bautista and his brotherhood in the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) who have supported him (Bautista). "Tsong, daig mo pa si Padre Damaso at mga kolokoy na kauri mo! Nagpapatawa ka ba?!" Ben Tulfo said, simply referring to Padre Damaso in Jose Rizal's novel Noli Me Tangere. Earlier, the DSWD chair demanded some conditions like asking for public apology through different media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, and also to donate P300T to 19 charity groups to make Erwin's apology approved by the former army chief. APOLOGY Erwin Tulfo has issued his apology in public in relation to his attacks on Department of Social Welfare & Development (DSWD) Secretary  Rolando Bautista during his radio program "Tutok Tulfo." Tulfo was in hot water after he berated DSWD Sec Bautista when the latter failed to answer the phone. The broadcaster wants to interview the secretary by calling him on the phone, which Sec Bautista did not allow it. "General Bautista o Secretary Bautista, hindi ka na heneral ng AFP, huwag ka nang magpa-importante at magpaespesyal. Sagutin mo ang tawag, dahil ang DSWD kinalalagyan mo ngayon, para sa mahihirap yan. P@#$! mo, isa ka pa namang heneral na walang kwenta," were some of the words uttered by Tulfo which reportedly humiliated the DSWD secretary.   Tulfo's attack on the radio did not escape from the eyes of soldiers and the PMA Alumni Association so that they have shown their full support to the DSWD chair, and posted their disgust and rants on Erwin Tulfo's unprofessionalism and unethical brand of broadcasting. Unfortunately, Bautista's supporters and fellow soldiers dragged Erwin's brothers, who were also broadcasters on the issue, including Raffy on TV5, Ben Tulfo on Bitag TV program and Mon Tulfo, the elder brother.### ---       ABOUT JOEL Joel Calamba Escol is a journalist since 1991, author and all around person. He plays billiards, paints, does some comic illustrations, cartoons and likes watching CNN and AljazeraTV. He is also an SEO expert. When he's not working, you'll find him gaming and watching hard action movies. He's a total sucker of news and current events.  Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter    

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.