todays top stories

Magnitude 6.9 quake hits Indonesia; gov't issues tsunami warning

July 8, 2019

JAKARTA, Indonesia (MDN World digital, July 7) - A 6.9 magnitude earthquake hit Indonesia Sunday night, more particularly off the waters of Molucca between Maluku archipelago and North Sulawesi, government authorities reported. As this developed, the Indonesian government immediately issued Tsunami warning to avoid further damage just like in the past that a big tsunami hit hard in the country after struck by a strong tremblor, kiling thousands of Indonesians. The 6.9 magnitude earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, was centered 115 miles southwest of Manado. The tremblor has a depth of approximately 24 kilometers, the U.S weather agency reported. The earthquake has caused panic among the residents of Ternate City near the Maluku island. The residents reportedly ran to higher grounds and scampered for their safety, according to the reports made by the Associated Press.  In Manado, the provincial capital of North Sulawesi, residents also panicked and ran evacuated to safer grounds, the Radio El Shinta reported. Earthquakes frequently struck Indonesia, a nation with around 260 million people. The country was also often hit by tsunami and volcanic eruptions as the country is listed in the Ring of Fire, where fault lines can be found.  In the past tsunamis that hit Indonesia, thousands of people have died and millions in properties were lost.  

READ MORE
Paolo Duterte backs out plan to run as house speaker

July 8, 2019

DAVAO CITY (MDN Mindanao News digital, July 8) - Presidential son, Paolo Duterte, representative of the 1st District of Davao City has backed out from running as speaker of the House of Representatives.  Representative Duterte said he has decided to back out from the race after meeting with his father, President Rodrigo Duterte in Davao City on Thursday. video credit to GMANews The presidential son said "We both agreed that this will not be the right time for me to be Speaker and I can still help his administration from the House in a different capacity."  Earlier, President Duterte announced in Malacañang he will step down as president of the country if his son will run as speaker of the house, such pronouncement of the president reverberated in the countryside when Paolo confirmed his plan to vie for the top post in the Lower House. Paolo Duterte said his now supporting Davao City 3rd District Rep. Isidro Ungab, who was also openly endorsed by his sister Sara Duterte of Hugpong ng Pagbabago, the regional political party of Sara. He said in a statement "The President has also been fully informed of Rep. Ungab’s participation in the race for the next Speaker of the House of Representatives."  Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Laban (PDP-Laban), President Duterte's political party when he ran in 2016 has also fielded and endorsed Marinduque Rep Lord Allan Jay Velasco for the speakership of the house. President Duterte plays safe as he refused to name his own choice for house speakership so as not to offend any of his reported allies in the Lower House.###  

READ MORE
Bambi to support Pompee's 2022 candidacy

July 8, 2019

MISAMIS Oriental Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano - the head of PaDayon Pilipino - vowed his full support if ever former Agriculture Undersecretary Jose Gabriel La Viña decides to run again as Cagayan de Oro City mayor in 2022. Emano candidly remarked this Monday to reporters after the weekly flag raising at the capitol. "Mosuporta ko sa iya kung mo-decide siya nga modagan," he said. This was in contrast to Emano's statement last week that hinted for a possible Cagayan de Oro mayoral run bearing his party. But this was before La Viña announced on Friday that he would run again for the mayorship - a post that he sought and lost last May. In a press conference last Sunday, La Viña said he was galvanized by the 90,834 people who voted him last May. He also claimed that he had the blessing of former Councilor Nadya Elipe for his imminent 2022 candidacy. Elipe is the head of PaDayon Pilipino in Cagayan de Oro City. She is a sister of Emano who was La Viña's vice mayoral running mate in the last election. On Sunday evening, La Viña hosted a victory party for the PaDayon-CDP candidates who won in Cagayan de Oro City - Councilors Lordan Suan and Jocelyn Rodriguex. For the next three years, La Viña will keep himself busy through outreaches here in Cagayan de Oro City as national president of the Roa clan and as president of the Neri-Chaves clan.

READ MORE
NBI files syndicated estafa charges against Kapa officials

July 8, 2019

video credit to abscbn MANILA, Philippines (MDN national news digital, July 8) - The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) filed a criminal complaint against the controversial Kapa Community Ministry International, Inc (KAPA) at the Office of the Department of Justice. (DOJ) Eight counts of syndicated estafa and five counts for violating securities and regulations code were filed against Kapa founder Joel Apolinario and Kapa incorporators namely: Nonita S. Urbano, Junnie G. Apolinario, Nelia V. Nino, Maria Pella B. Sevilla, Jaquelyn A. Del Castillo, Cristobal R.Barabad, and Joji A. Jusay. Also charged were Reyna L. Apolinario, corporate secretary and Joel's wife; Modie S. Dagala, director and treasurer; and directors Benigno D. Tipan, Jr, Marnilyn M. Maturan, Ricky A. Taer, and Margie A. Danao; and a number of John Does.  Three of the alleged complainants accompanied the NBI during the filing of formal complaint at the DOJ. The three are said to be among the millions of members of kapa. The complainants on the criminal case filed by NBI were a female senior citizen from Dinagat Island who allegedly donated P500,000, while her son also donated P45,000. Her son was also one of the complainants. The third complainant reportedly donated P30,000 last June 3. She later discovered kapa offices were all closed upon Duterte's order. The NBI said, in its report, that its poseur agents conducted surveillance at kapa's Taytay Office at Blk 2, Lot 19, Greenville East Taytay in Quezon City. Thru the surveillance, the NBI confirmed that Kapa continued to transact business despite the so-called SEC decision on April 13, 2019, revoking the certificate of registration of Kapa, as well as May 16, 2019 certification that kapa has not registered any securities and it has no permit to sell securities to the public. This is the first case of syndicated estafa filed against Kapa officials.  KAPA BUSINESSES The ministry members has earlier revealed they have businesses to sustain the ministry's operation including a hospital, gasoline stations, mining, computer business, fishing business, convenience stores and many other businesses. The ministry also employs over 5,000 members to run the daily operations and businesses of the organization. The NBI-NCR chief said: “Hind kayang i-sustain ng sinasabing business na yun na i-ge-generate na interest na dapat ibigay nila roon sa kanilang mga investors or donors.”  the NBI-NCR chief said they will instead file a complaint for violation of the securities and regulation code. “Basta yung na-serve namin na search warrants last Monday definitely by next week naka-file na lahat yung corresponding case," the NBI-NCR director concluded.  Meanwhile, Pastor Joel Apolinario has maintained his position that the ministry can sustain its daily operation and the monthly payouts of "love gifts" to its members. Apolinario said they have a lot of businesses that also earn millions everyday including a hospital and gasoline stations, schools, mining business, bigtime fishing business that earn millions, radio stations, big farms, tracking companies, among others.          

READ MORE
Misor tourism officer explains cash advances

July 8, 2019

LAWYER Jeffrey Saclot, head of the Provincial Tourism Office of the Misamis Oriental Capitol, on Monday admitted there were cash advances drawn in his name, but transactions underwent strict policy of the Provincial Accounting Office. “In the interest of transparency, it is true that cash advances were drawn in my name last year. This is because of the series of events and activities we carried out, to fulfil the mandate of the Provincial Tourism Office, in line with the flagship program of Gov. Bambi Emano, including the 19th ATOP National Convention. But, with the strict policy of our Provincial Accounting Office,” Saclot said. He explained a subsequent cash advance “cannot be made if the previous one is not liquidated.” “Hence, my individual cash advance was granted after I liquidated the previous one. A certification to this effect is even a requirement before I get to draw a subsequent cash advance,” the lawyer maintained. “This practice is certainly allowed under existing COA rules and regulations. It should be noted that if COA had findings in their post audit report, any concern was already complied with.” “In fact, I had already discussed the same with the new COA team leader for LGU-Misamis Oriental. I am assuring the public that our governor does not allow any employee to draw cash advances that are not consistent with existing auditing laws and rules, and maintains his policy of a transparent government,” Saclot assured.

READ MORE
Son of ex-Maguindanao politician, 4 others killed in army checkpoint

July 6, 2019

NORTH COTABATO (MDN Mindanao News digital, July 6) - For refusing to stop at checkpoint and instead opened fire at the military, a son of a deceased politician in Maguindanao and his four other companions were killed during an exchange of bullets in North Cotabato area, the military reported Friday. Police authorities investigating the case identified the fatalities as Datu Hashim Matalam, son of the late Norodin Matalam, former governor of Maguindanao; Buton Bacocol, a resident of Matina, Pangi, Davao City; and Abdullah Mamalumpong, a resident of Amaas, North Cotabato. Mamalumpong was later reported as a fugitive from the provincial jail. The identities of two other fatalities were not known at press time but they were also reported as armed body guards of Hashim Matalam. The military manning the checkpoint recovered long and high-powered firearms used by the suspects, including an M-16 riffle, one hand grenade, one 1911 pistol, two M-653, one riffle grenade. They also recovered cellphones, three sachets of suspected shabu paraphernalia, and 15,000 pesos cash   Brigadier General Alfredo Rosario, head of the 602nd Infantry Brigade said the suspects onboard a Nissan Patrol vehicle were flagged down at a checkpoint for normal and routinary checking purposes but instead of stopping their vehicle, the suspects opened fire which resulted in a firefight for several minutes. The skirmishes which lasted almost an hour resulted to the death of the five suspects and the recovery of short and long firearms and the illegal drug known as "shabu."   “The troops manning the checkpoint tried to stop them for inspection but they opened fire first which led our men to fire back”, Rosario told reporters in telephone interviews. “They did not stop,” Rosario added. Investigation conducted by responding police operatives in North Cotabato disclosed that the military were having their routinary checkpoint in Barangay Ingu-ug, Pikit town, North Cotabato on Friday night (July 5) at around 8:45 p.m. The group of Datu Hashim Matalam on board a gray Nissan Patrol vehicle bearing plate number LEM 521, passed by a military checkpoint. They were ordered by the soldiers manning the checkpoint to stop for routine check ups, but instead of stopping, the armed men allegedly opened fire which resulted to the skirmishes. All of the five armed suspects were dead as back up soldiers and those manning the checkpoint returned fire and riddled their vehicle with bullets. In Daraga, Albay sometime in December 2018, President Duterte said checkpoints play vital roles in controlling the entry of lawless elements and robbery groups that are planning 'to paint the town read' and wreck havoc to their supposed targets.  Duterte said “If you carry a gun and you passed by a checkpoint and you refuse to stop because you are with the governor or mayor, my order to the police and to the military, son of a bitch, kill them," the President told reporters. “Even if you’re a governor or a mayor, if there is a check point,” Duterte said, then. “Those who refused to stop and fight with you,” he said, referring to the police and soldiers, “My order is shoot them. Let’s not talk about human rights,” he added. video below credit to GMANews  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.