todays top stories

Bounty for 4 cop killers in Negros Oriental up by P1.3 Million

July 23, 2019

NEGROS ORIENTAL (MDN Luzon News digital, July 23) - The bounty for the capture of 6 members of the New People Army who reportedly killed four policemen in Ayungon, Negros Oriental is now up by P1.3 Million, government authorities reported on Tuesday. SWAT TEAM INSPECT THE CRIME SCENE IN AYUNGON, NEGROS ORIENTAL. FOUR POLICEMEN WERE REPORTEDLY KILLED AFTER THEY WERE AMBUSHED BY NEW PEOPLE ARMY REBELS. President Rodrigo Duterte said he has added an additional of P300,000 from his last offer of P1 Million for the arrest of 6 NPA members who were behind the killing of four policemen, while having surveillance and intelligence gathering. Duterte during his SONA said “Mas gusto kong patay sila. Kung patay sila magdagdag pa ako P300 [thousand] so its P1 million and 300 [thousand]. Just bring me the head of that idiot leader.”  The slain policemen were allegedly ambushed while on duty and while conducting investigation regarding the reported presence of NPA in Ayungon area and its neighboring barangays, when suddenly the rebels alighted from the scene and killed the cops in the presence of villagers, report said. Meanwhile, President Duterte went personally to the wake of the slain policemen and awarded them the Lapu-lapu Rank of Kalasag medal to those who were killed in an ambush. President Duterte awarded the slain policemen including Relebert Beronio and Patrolmen Raffy Callao, Roel Cabellon, and Marquino de Leon. The policemen were conferred the Order of Lapu-Lapu Rank of Kalasag medal. Murder charges filed  Six members of the New People's Army tagged in the killing of four policemen last week are now charged of multiple murder. Brigidier General Debold Sinas identified those charged as one Victoriano Anadon and five others whose identities are still withheld. Anadon, based on initial investigation, was known as the one who hogtied the victims. Around 30 rebels reportedly attacked and killed four policemen as the cops approached the house of one of the suspects, Victoriano Anadon. The dead policemen were officially identified as Patrolmen Roel Cabellon, Raffy Callo, Corporal Relebert Beronio and Marquinto de Leon - all of the 704th Company of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion in Central Visayas.   Based on investigation conducted by police investigators, each of the policemen suffered gunshot wound in the head. The allege suspects also took the wallets of the victims and personal belongings when they escaped eluding arrest from responding government troops.  In a statement issued by the rebels, Dionesio Magbuelas, NPA spokesman said the police officers were behind the intelligence gathering implementation by the Synchronized Enhanced Managing Police Operations (SEMPO), which reportedly left many civilians dead in Negros Oriental. Magbuelas also accused the dead policemen of harassing the farmers in the area. Meanwhile, PNP chief Albayalde said the policemen were tortured before they were murdered in Barangay Mabato, in the presence of the villagers. Autopsy reports conducted by SOCO has it that the four victims suffered hematoma and fractured ribs. The PNP chief said they already have the identities of the six NPA rebels but withheld them at press time for follow up operations. ###   President Duterte says he prefers that the killers of the cops are presented dead, notes that he would increase the bounty to P1.3 million @ABSCBNNews pic.twitter.com/k5LB1T2LQR — Arianne Merez (@arianne_merez) July 22, 2019

READ MORE
Second Hajj pilgrim dies in Meccah

July 21, 2019

ILIGAN CITY ----- Another Filipino Hajj pilgrim died, around 3:00 pm on Saturday, July 21, while inside the Masjidil Haraam in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. Dr. Dimapuno Alonto Datu-Ramos, Jr., public relations and information head of the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF), identified the fatality as Enting Tungao Kamensa, 66, who hails from Datu Piang, Maguindanao. Citing information from Dr. Abdulnasser Masorong, head of the NCMF Medical Team, Kamensa suddenly lost consciousness while inside the Masjidil Haraam. “The suspected cause of death is myocardial infarction or heart attack. The remains are still in King Faisal Hospital awaiting for the processing of the documents,” Datu-Ramos said. The relatives however will be informed of the death by the Hajj Medical and Supervisory team in Saudi. On Friday, July 19, a 57-year old female pilgrim from Lumbayanague, Lanao del Sur, died of the same cause. Datu-Ramos said many Filipino pilgrims want to die in Saudi during the Hajj because they believe that they will go to heaven if they die. “Around 90% of the pilgrims yearly are first timers. It is one of the pillars of Islam and is a once-in-a-lifetime event for most,” Datu-Ramos said. Last year, some eight Filipino pilgrims, mostly in their senior years, died while performing the Hajj. This year, some 7,325 Filipino pilgrims are participating in the Hajj, an obligation that every Muslim must do at least once in their lifetime.  

READ MORE
Marawi IDPs to stage SONA on Monday

July 21, 2019

ILIGAN CITY ----- Internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Marawi City will hold their version of the state of the nation address, 9:00 am on Monday, July 22, dubbed as State of the Bakwits (evacuees) in Marawi (SOMBAK), at the Mindanao State University (MSU) main campus in Marawi City. Drieza Lininding, convenor of Moro Consensus Group (MCG), said multi-sectoral organizations of the IDPs will gather to give verdict over President Duterte’s administration on handling the Marawi rehabilitation’s various aspects like emergency and relief assistance, human rights, shelters, medical assistance, missing and dead civilians, livelihood and physical rehabilitation inside the most affected area (MAA) or the ground zero. There will be art gallery, theatrical play, live band, short films, poetry reading and messages from sectoral representatives that will show the true situation of Marawi residents, two years after the siege. “We will have no demands at this time. What we will do is to give ‘grades’ and assessment of how the Duterte admin will is handling the rehabilitation. We will express this time how we felt, how our youth feel towards the government,” Lininding said. Kambisita 3 On Saturday, July 20, some 650 homeowners of the sector 1, which covers parts of Barangays Tolali and Daguduban inside MAA, were allowed to visit their houses and or areas called Kambisita (coined from Kambalingan, a Maranao word for “to go back” and “bisita” a Filipino word for visit). There are 2,086 homeowners and 488 structures in sector 1. The MAA is divided into nine sectors by the Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) for easier identification of structures. Housing Assistant Secretary Felix Castro, Jr., Field Office Manger of TFBM, the homeowners were given the chance to visit their homes from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm to personally see and decide on what to do with their structures and what they need before they start their reconstruction and are repair. They were also the one to assess the integrity of their structures on whether it should be demolished or undergo repairs in preparation for the Kambalingan of the homeowners. “We also account how many are willing to go back the soonest for their application for repair and building permit from the city hall. They will submit documents to prove that they are the legal owners or they are permitted by the owners (to rebuild or repair the structure),” Castro said. Aside from the building permit from the city government, the homeowners will also apply for a power connection from Lanao del Sur Electric Cooperative (LASURECO) and water connection from Marawi City Water District (MCWD). But Lininding lashed out the latest Kambisit because residents were only given “limited hours to check their areas” and required to comply many permits and clearances. “Ano yun, ‘permission to sleep in my house’? Dalawang taon na ang lumipas, kahit basic (services) na kuryente at tubig (connections) ay di pa nagawa,” Lininding said. (What is that, ‘permission to sleep in my house’? it has been two years and yet basic (services) power and water (connections) are not yet done) At the SOMBAK tomorrow, the IDPs will also ask the government to make true of its promise that by September, there will no more IDPs in evacuation centers. At present, there are about 400 families still living in three evacuation centers: the Sarimanok sites 1 and 2 and at the building inside the Provincial Capitol Complex. “This is long overdue but nevertheless, we pray that this will be realized the soonest considering the poor state of those living in tents,” Lininding said.

READ MORE
Manny Pacquiao floors Thurman in first round; wins via split decision

July 21, 2019

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA (MDN World News, July 21) - The Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao continues to thrill his millions of fans around the world as he pounded opponent Keith Thurman and knocked him out in the first round, ending speculations of age problem would affect him in the fight against the much younger boxer. Keith Thurman in the first round couldn't believe the speed of Pacquiao that really puzzled him and even caught him into the canvass, as the Pacman hit him hard in the body, and then a solid blow at his face that really floored him down.            The US-based boxer tried to corner him in the second round to regain his unwanted knock out but the 40-year-old Filipino pride continued to bombard him with heavy punches, both left and right hooks. video credit to abs-cbn Pacquiao's record now (62-7-2) is a big blow to critics that his age would matter against the much younger opponent and that with his age at 40, he couldn't deliver the goods anymore. Speculations ended, though, when he floored Thurman in just first round. "I'm not the kind of boxer who talk too much, I am just promoting the fight," he said, adding that he did a lot of thing in fight promotion. "He did his best and I did my best, making the people happy." The two judges scored the fight 115-112 for Pacquiao while the third surprisingly scored it 114-113 in favor of Thurman. Finally, after the score cards were graded and ended Pacquiao as the one true winner via a Split Decision, the boastful Thurman who promised to crucify Pacquiao in the ring bowed down and raised the hands of the Pacman, a sign of respect to the rightful champion. ### .@MannyPacquiao with a massive body shot in the 10th! Eight-division World Champion Manny Pacquiao faces World Champion Keith Thurman for WBA supremacy! BUY NOW: https://t.co/AeIXwbC2Dr pic.twitter.com/zkBRF3Uc2G — FOX Sports: PBC (@PBConFOX) July 21, 2019  

READ MORE
2 robbers kill 'sekyu', hurt pregnant cashier

July 21, 2019

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MDN Mindanao News digital, July 21) - Two suspects in an early dawn Sunday robbery at a gasoline station in Barangay Katipunan, Villanueva town in Misamis Oriental, shot dead a security guard and hurt a pregnant cashier, police authorities reported. Police Lieutenant Princess Enriquez, Misamis Oriental Provincial Police Office (MOPPO) spokesperson identified the victim as Dominico Servandel, 25, security guard; and Axel Rose Gimeno, 25, married - all residents of Zone 2, barangay Katipunan, Villanueva town.   Police investigation disclosed that early dawn Sunday, the suspect identified as Reymark Jay Pumatong barged into the Phoenix Gasoline Station in Barangay Katipunan, Villanueva town, and without provocation shot dead the sleeping guard and also shot the pregant cashier in the face. The robber and his lookout identified as Bernie Belen, 28, a resident of Barangay Sta Ana, Tagoloan town, also of Misamis Oriental, immediately fled from the crime scene and carted away the P30,000 sales of the gas station on that day. The Police organization in the province, Cocpo, as well as the provincial police office immediately conducted hot pursuit operations and arrested the two suspects: Reymark Jay Pumatong and his companion Bernie Belen A case of attempted robbery and and violations of RA 10591 are now readied against the suspects.      

READ MORE
9 die, 20 hurt in road mishap

July 20, 2019

CEBU CITY (Visayas News digital, July 19) - Nine kids died while 20 other passengers were injured Friday (July 19) morning, when a mini dump truck they were riding fell on a roadside cliff in Boljoon town, southern part of Cebu, the police authorities reported.                                       Photo by Clark Matthew Roma The police initial investigation disclosed that those who died were all children between 10 to 12 years old. The children were from Nangka Elementary School and San Antonio Elementary School, and they were supposed to attend an event reportedly organized by the Department of Education. (DepEd) Ruben Niere, Boljoon public information officer has confirmed that there were fatalities and injured persons to this tragic incident. The victims were from the far-flung barangays of Boljoon. They were invited to attend a parade spearheaded by DepEd to culiminate the celebration of 'Health Week" when road the accident happened. Niere said the truck fell off a cliff around 7:00 in the morning but the rescue efforts lasted for more than two hours. The police reported that the mini dump truck was owned by the municipal government of Boljoon. It was not clear, however, if the truck was properly inspected by the driver, Daniel Niere, as the truck's brakes malfunctioned while traveling.  Mayor Merlou Derama said the teachers requested for transport and since the mini dump truck was the only available vehicle, he approved their request. ###

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.