todays top stories

40 police in isolation units, 5 found COVID-19 positive

September 2, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Forty policemen in Northern Mindanao were committed to isolation units for being in contact with five colleagues who were diagnosed positive of coronavirus, the police regional command Monday. Lt. Col. Mardi Hortilloza, the spokesperson of the police regional command in Camp Alagar here, said that of the eight police personnel, five have already recovered while three remain in isolation units. Of the five recovered, three came from Camp Crame in Manila while the two others came from the national capital region, he said. According to Hortilloza, the law enforcers from Manila were initially negative of COVID-19 after undergoing swab tests prior to deployment here. “We suspected that the police officers contracted the virus while in transit after another swab test, on their arrival in Northern Mindanao police command, yielded positive of the coronavirus,” he said. He said that those diagnosed COVID-19 positive were non-commissioned police officers, part of the police force sent to Iligan City. From June 2020 to Aug. 31, 2020, the regional health office recorded 47 newly confirmed cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cumulative cases in Northern Mindanao from January 2020 until Aug. 31, 2020 to 1,393 cases with 770 recoveries and 22 deaths

READ MORE
Andanar urges Bukidnon youth leaders to help govt win war vs Covid-19

September 2, 2020

KITAOTAO, Bukidnon--Communications Secretary Martin Andanar urged the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) federation leaders in Bukidnon to continue doing its share to help the government win the war against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). In his Kitaotao town visit in Bukidnon province last Friday, Andanar, who is also the Cabinet Officer for Regional Development and Security (CORDS) for region 10, said the Presidential Communications Operations Office’s (PCOO) campaign on “Youth for Truth” is in progress but was pinned down by the pandemic. However, in an engagement with 20 Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Federation leaders who converge at Kitaotao townhall, the Secretary in his message underscored the vital role of truth and integrity in societal development. He said that the youth’s leadership in this crucial time has the potential to shape the future of the country and that nothing could hinder the government from keeping the public updated about the ongoing efforts to combat COVID-19. “You are the molders of the nation’s dreams. You are the mirrors that reflect dignity, honor, and comfortable life for every Filipino which President Rodrigo Duterte strives to fulfill,” he said. Andanar acknowledged that much has to be done for everyone to enjoy the right to information but was optimistic that the SK (youth council) leaders could help raise awareness to encourage Filipinos to practice the four key preventive behaviors that will help keep themselves and their families safe against the pandemic. To make the government’s “BIDA Solusyon” campaign work remarkably in fighting COVID-19, Andanar expounded each letter in BIDA that represents “Bawal walang mask; I-sanitize ang kamay at iwas hawak sa mga bagay; Dumistansya ng isang metro; and Alamin ang totoong impormasyon.” To date, Bukidnon has recorded 154 cases of COVID-19 infections since the coronavirus hit the province. Of this number, 121 had already recovered. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Gary Guido Tabios reported that the remaining 33 COVID-positive persons who are all asymptomatic are on strict quarantine in the province’s designated isolation facilities. The Palace official said that the present reality is we have COVID-19 and it won’t go away easily. He pointed out that there is no other way but to move forward in the midst of the threat of this global crisis. “The youths nowadays symbolize the face of one’s culture and society and they play great roles in achieving fruitful events in the community. Hence, as vital instruments in spreading good news on how to contain and prevent the spread of COVID-19, I urged our SK leaders to be the government’s partner in advocating the ‘COVID-19 BIDA Solusyon’ precepts and all other projects and programs,” he said. The PCOO Secretary also called on the youth and community leaders to take the lead in demonstrating the ‘new normal’ as the country continues to face the threat of the coronavirus disease. (RLRB/PIA Bukidnon)

READ MORE
PCCI Mindanao advocates Health Care Capacity Initiatives for business survival & continuity

September 2, 2020

The affiliate chambers of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Mindanao will push a package of health care capacity measures aimed at ensuring business survival and continuity during the 29th Mindanao Business Conference on September 10-11, 2020. The first ever virtual hosting of Mindanao’s biggest business conference of the PCCI will be hosted by the Davao Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (DCCCII) through online live streaming via ZOOM with a record audience expected to participate in the virtual event despite restrictions on travel and gatherings brought by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. “With theme, Mindanao: Journeying to the New Normal, we recognize the urgent need to boost confidence to overcome emerging challenges and opportunities,” said Ma. Teresa A. Alegrio, PCCI Area Vice President for Mindanao. “This stems from a deep understanding of what the new normal presents so that responses to meet them are carefully crafted.” MinBizCon is an annual event organized by the PCCI that aims to create a venue for businessmen, key industry players, government executives, and other private sector leaders to discuss economic concerns and opportunities in Mindanao resulting to policy actions for the development of the region. Through PCCI Mindanao Resolution no. 2020-004 (A Resolution Endorsing To The IATF-EID Proposed Intervention Measures For Business Survival And Continuity of Mindanao MSMEs and Other Industries) the 42 local Chambers of Mindanao will be requesting the National Government’s immediate and urgent intervention to prioritize a package of proposed recommendations aimed at ensuring  the business survival and continuity of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), in the manufacturing and industry, and agricultural sector. MSME’s constitute over 90 percent of the number of business establishments nationwide and in Mindanao. The resolution covers Health Care Capacity, Infrastructure, Economic Stimulus, Structural Reforms, Capacity Building, and Domestic Tourism. Health Care Capacity Among the resolutions proposed by PCCI Mindanao to build Health Care Capacity are the following. ·       For DOH to partner with Philippine Red Cross and other private hospitals in establishing an RT-PCR Testing and Confirmatory Labs in Highly Urbanized and 1st Class Provinces all over Mindanao; ·       For DOH, DA, and DTI to grant workers employed in the food supply chain in Mindanao (production, manufacturing and logistics) first priority in mass screening, contact tracing, access to quarantine facilities and vaccines to ensure its stability and unhampered operation; ·       For DICT and IATF to spearhead the aggregation of contact tracing solutions using digital technologies, cell site triangulation and location methods, and whatever further means deemed necessary, which could impact on the effective tracing of Covid 19 cases in the country and subsequent treatment of infected individuals. . The foregoing proposals were extensively discussed across all the 42 Local Chambers of Commerce in Mindanao during several Regional Consultations with PCCI President Ambassador Benedicto Yujuico, PCCI Mindanao Area Vice President Maria Teresa R. Alegrio, and PCCI Regional Governors Arturo Milan (South Eastern Mindanao), Roderico R. Bioco (Northern Mindanao), Paul Gudmalin (Western Mindanao), Pete Marquez (Central Mindanao), Aldrin Ibbo (BARMM), Julie Senense (Eastern (CARAGA) Mindanao) and Loreta Sy (South Western Mindanao) with Promote NorMin Foundation President Elpidio M. Paras. (PCCI Mindanao) 

READ MORE
Iligan execs found Covid-19 positive

September 2, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Iligan City Vice Mayor Jemar Vera Cruz on Tuesday announced he was COVID-19 positive after the result of his swab test was released Tuesday. In a post on his official Facebook account, Vera Cruz confessed to have contracted the virus after a “direct contact” with City Councilor Petronilo Pardillo who was found positive of COVID-19 four days ago. “I submitted myself to swab test after Councilor Pardillo of whom I was of his direct contacts was found positive of coronavirus,” Vera Cruz said. He said that he was asymptomatic because he did not show symptoms prior to submission to swab test together with Iligan City Mayor Celso Regencia. Regencia was negative for the virus, Vera Cruz said, adding, that “I am robust and healthy though.” In his statement, Councilor Pardillo, tagged as patient 277, said that he submitted himself for swab test on feeling the symptoms. “I am recovering now because I could now sleep soundly at night while undergoing treatment in a hospital,” Pardillo said. The sudden surge of COVID-19 cases in Iligan City, 88 kilometers west of Cagayan De Oro City, prompted the national Inter-Agency Task Force to place the entire city under Moderate Enhance Community Quarantine (MECQ) starting Sept. 1 until Sept. 30, 2020.

READ MORE
IATF places Iligan City under Modified Enhance Community Quarantine

September 1, 2020

The Inter-agency Task Force for the coronavirus diseases has placed Iligan City under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) due to massive turn out of covid-19 positive. The decision of the taskforce was embodied under Resolution No. 67 duly signed on August 31, 2020, placing the entire City of Iligan under MECQ for the period September 1-30. However, the rest of provinces and cities in Northern Mindanao remain under Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ) until September 30, 2020. The cities under MGCQ are El Salvador, Cagayan de Oro, Gingoog in Misamis Oriental; Valencia and Malaybalay in Bukidnon, Ozamis, Oroquieta and Tangub City in Misamis Occidental. The provinces that comprised Northern Mindanao include Camiguin Island, Misamis Occidental, Misamis Oriental, Lanao del Norte and Bukidnon.     The decision of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) was also approved by President Rodrigo Duterte after said decision - to place the city under MECQ - was recommended by IATF. The continued rise in covid-19 cases in Iligan City will soon put the city under stricter lockdowns, the country's coronavirus taskforce told the media during interviews.  In a resolution dated August 31, the IATF said: “Due to the increasing average daily growth rate of cases, Iligan City shall be placed under modified enhanced community quarantine until 30 September 2020, without prejudice to the declaration of localized enhanced community quarantine in critical areas. The Department of Health in its recent data showed Iligan City with 268 infections as of Monday. From 268, 149 of which were all active cases. Just recently also, more and more local transmission cases were reported by the government, aside from its Locally Stranded Individuals (LSIs) and Retrurning Overseas Filipinos (ROFs) cases.     

READ MORE
Emano worries COVID spread during rainy months ahead

August 30, 2020

Adopt plans to prevent COVID spread as rainy months set in MISAMIS Oriental--Provincial Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano on Sunday urged local officials to adopt measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus as the rainy months set in. Emano expressed the apprehension knowing that the “viruses” reportedly spread and multiply faster during the “colder season.” “The rainy months ahead should forewarn us to be anxious of the possible spread of the coronavirus in areas susceptible to calamities where evacuees closely huddle each other in evacuation centers,” Emano said. He said that there are flood prone areas in Misamis Oriental where residents are evacuated to higher grounds during heavy rains. The situation is also exacerbated by the continuous arrival of locally stranded individuals (LSI) and the returning overseas Filipinos (ROF) without getting Rapid Diagnostic Test (RDT) and RT-PCR swab test. Emano urged the provincial local government units (LGUs) to coordinate with the provincial, inter-agency task force Covid and the provincial disaster risk reduction management team to be able to employ an effective counter Covid-19 measure during unforeseen calamities. Emano said that all anti-coronavirus measures in future evacuation centers must conform to protocols issued by the Department of Health (DOH) and the national Inter-Agency Task Force on Managing Emerging, Infectious Disease.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.