METRO MANILA (MDN National News, September 13) - The Philippine government has now recorded 240,000 dengue cases all over the country and over 1000 deaths, according to a report made by a top official of the Department of Health.
Rolando Enrique Domingo, DOH Undersecretary said much has to be done by the local governments to make sure the government's efforts will not be put to waste. The Department of Health has been helping the local government units ever since.
He said local government units should do a little more if the purpose is preventing the deadly disease of the Dengue virus.
“What we need is [for the effort] to go down to the barangay level. It also needs to be done daily. We understand that sometimes it may be tiring but the threat of dengue is continuous. We ask for a little more effort because as we can see there are still a lot of cases,” the DOH official said.
The DOH has recommended the use of insecticide fogging where great were being attacked by the deadly virus.
The DOH official also advised the people to stay calm as government is doing its best to stop the deadly virus. However, it said, city residents must also take part by cleaning their own backyard or cleaning their surroundings.
Domingo reminded the public that one of the most effective ways to control the spread of the disease is by ensuring cleanliness in communities so that the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which carries the dengue virus, would not be able to breed.
The DOH’s Epidemiology Bureau (DOH-EB) reported that as of Aug. 24, there were already 249,332 dengue cases across the country, or a 109-percent increase from last year. It said 1,021 people had died.
From Aug. 18 to 24 alone, the DOH saw 13,192 new cases, which is 60 percent higher than in the same period last year.
DOH data show that the eight-month total dengue cases this year is the highest recorded since 2012. In the last seven years, full-year cases ranged from a little more than 113,000 to more than 220,000.
Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.