Military: Test confirms first Filipino suicide bomber

FRONT PAGE
By MDN digital - SEO Team
July 11, 2019

SHARE

MANILA (MDN National News, July 10) - The military confirmed during a press briefing that the DNA samples taken from the reported bomber belong to Norman Lasuca, confirming that he was the first Filipino suicide bomber ever recorded in the history of Philippine extremism.

The twin explosions at an army camp in Indanan, Sulu, left 8 people dead and 22 others injured. Two of those who died included Lasuca and a still unidentified person believed to be an Asian national.

The military also confirmed the DNA of one of the bombers matched with that of Lasuca's mother, Vilma Lasuca, ending speculations that all the two bombers who also died were international suicide bombers. 

Who is Norman Lasuca?

Based on the testimonies of the mother, Vilma Lasuca, the suspected 'suicide' bomber was a victim of maltreatment from his own father. 

Brig. Gen. Edgar Arevalo said in a press conference in Camp Aguinaldo that when his father went home from his workplace he was always mad at his own son. He allegedly beat him many times.

“Ang general information sa atin ang tatay niya ay laborer so pagod, mababa ang sweldo malamang napagdidiskitahan sa pag-uwi ng hapon. ‘Yun ang information na nakarating sa atin,” Gen Arevalo said in a presscon.

Vilma Lasuca, had earlier told the military and police investigators that his son went missing in 2014 and she believes that her son possibly joined the Abu Sayyaf.  

“Nung nawala nung 2014 hindi na siya iniulat ng magulang, maaaring sumali sa ibang grupo o nadala sa ibang lugar,” Arevalo said.

Meanwhile, there were also reports that suicide bombings already happened in the Philippines. One was the Cathedral bombing during a Sunday mass, while the other suicide bombing was a van that also exploded at a military checkpoint in Basilan in July 2018. But the only difference was that the alleged suicide bombers were suspected to be foreign nationals.

Rita Katz, SITE Intelligence Group director, twitted that it was indeed a suicide bombings considering that the attackers also died, when the bombs they were carrying allegedly exploded in their possessions. 


RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.