Hong Kong airport protesters become unruly; ambulance crew injured

By MDN digital - SEO Team
August 15, 2019


HONG KONG (MDN International news digital) - An ambulance crew was injured after protesters "repeatedly hit" him while said crew was helping a patient.

Hong Kong's fire services department lambasted leaders of the protesters for failure to control the crowd and initiate a peaceful and fruitful rally.

"The “radical acts of some protesters had seriously affected ambulance services on Tuesday, after clashes broke out between demonstrators and authorities at the airport," the fire department said.

Protesters have reportedly refused to make way for the injured to be brought to hospitals for treatment according to the fire services department.

“An ambulanceman sustained injury after being repeatedly hit by protesters while handling the injured person. It was also noted that some protestors snatched or damaged ambulance tools and equipment, causing serious hindrance to the rescue operations,” added an official of the fire bureau.

A spokesperson for the authority added: “We must stress that ambulance personnel have to race against time in the provision of emergency ambulance service.
“Any delay in the process may cause patients to miss the best timing for treatment and pose serious threats to their lives.” 


Protesters accused the government of putting a spy who joined the protesters. One was known to be a police officer from China and nother one was also caught masquerading as a journalist to get information from the protesting group. Later, the protester was identifed by the protesters as a journalist working for the government-controlled Newspaper Global Times.

Hampered airport operations

On Tuesday, the anti-government protesters have successfully crippled again business operations at Hongkong International Airport.

Protesters also created commotions which resulted again to the unrest and violent engagement between them and government policemen inside the terminal.

Flight check-in has been suspended as thousands of protesters again trooped inside the airport terminal since Friday.

Passengers are also struggling to get through the airport as demonstrators sit inside the terminal ground floor and reportedly block departures.

Social media also showed violent clash between government police and young protesters.

In order to protect themselves, the police now wears protective gears and brandishing truncheons are reported to have used  pepper spray to push protesters out of the building.                     

The earlier warnings made by government officials did not threaten the protesters as they continue arrive and gather at the airport on Tuesday.

Many of the travellers become distressed and angered by said disruption and suspension of their respective flights.

Officials then at Hongkong airport announced that all check-ins were suspended from 16:30 local time (10:30 GMT).

The airport's own website has already announced that passengers are now advised to leave the terminal premises as soon as possible.

"Officials can be seen firing tear gas canisters into crowded, enclosed areas and directly at individual protesters on multiple occasions, creating a considerable risk of death or serious injury," Lame said in a statement.

Lam told members of the media she was "heartbroken" by reports of serious injuries at last weekend's protests, but appeared to defend the police from claims they used disproportionate force, saying they were acting under "extremely difficult circumstances".




Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.