CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - City Epedimiololgist Joselito Retuya has confirmed during a press conference today of the six more positive cases of coronavirus disease in the city.
Dr Retuya said the 16th case was an overseas filipino worker (OFW) in Indonesia and a native of Barangay Bulua, this city. He was asymptomatic and his routine while in Cagayan de Oro was only going to his farm in Opol town in Misamis Oriental.
But investigation disclosed that upon his arrival in Manila Airport a few weeks back he was already taken a swab test in Pasig City and the result, which only arrived last week, yielded positive. Currently, the patient was immediately home quarantined in Pasig City. However, his close contacts in Cagayan de Oro and Opol in Misamis Oriental have now been traced some are now on isolation faclities in Cagayan de Oro as they might have been infected by the virus carrier before he went back to Pasig City.
Menwhile, City Epidemiologist Retuya also confirmed today five more covid-19 positive from the immediate relatives of the 15h female covid-19 case who lives in Dabatian Street in Barangay Carmen, here, who was rushed to the hospital last week but was already dead on arrival. All of the five latest victims of the deadly coronavirus disease were all family members of the 34-year old first positive in Barangay Carmen
The five cases were a 67 year-old male, a 33-year-old male, a 25 year old male and two other female members of the family. They are currently quarantined in isolation facility for positive cases.
"This is the highest number in a single day which brings a total of 21 coronavirus cases in Cagayan de Oro City, the city's epidemiologist reported.
Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Osca Seriña Moreno also during the press briefing said the people should remain calm despite of this new rise in covid-19 positive in the city.
He said the city has now RT-PCR equipment which could easily detect positive cases in the city, as compared in the past that the city is only relying on the results from Davao City'a Southern Philippines.
"Dili lang unta mahadlok ang katawhan nga adunay pagtaas na usab sa atong covid cases. Expected kini kay daghan naman kita ug mahines nga dali lang maka detect sa mga nagpositibo ubos lamang sa usa ka adlaw. Mas maayo ang ealier detection kay sa ayha na mahibaw-an nga positive nga molala na kay basin dako ang risgo ilabina kung molala na unya ang kaso," Moreno said.
COVID-19 UPDATES IN MISAMIS ORIENTAL
In Misamis Oriental, three positive cases of covid-19 were also registered. One was an overseas filipino worker from Saudi Arabia but he was a native of Libertad Municipality in Misamis Oriental, while two were living in Gingoog City.
Gingoog City Mayor Erick Cañosa said during a press briefing that the Department of Health has confirmed to him that the 30-year-old father and his 1-year-old daughter were all positive of the deadly coronavirus disease, based on the result of the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) confirmatory test conducted at the Northern Mindanao Center (NMMC) in Cagayan de Oro City.
Mayor Cañosa said the father worked as a construction worker in Tondo Manila before the covid-19 hits Metro Manila a few month's back. His family were part of the Locally-Stranded individuals (LSIs) who returned to Misamis Oriental on June 10.
Upon arrival in the province, they were immediately brought to the isolation area in Gingoog City to undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine before they could go home to their place in Gingoog.
He called on the people of Gingoog City to refrain from descriminating the constituents of the city who were tested positive of covid-19. "Akong gihangyo ang atong katawhan nga likayan nato ang mga diskriminasyon kay dili kini maayo nga binuhatan," appeals Mayor Cañosa.
Meanwhile, the first registered coronavirus positive in Misamis Oriental is now currently undergoing medical treatment at the government-run hospital in Cagayan de Oro.
Provincial Health Officer Jerry Calingasan has confirmed the first coronavirus case in the province.
During a live interview over Magnum Radio, Calingasan said the first covid-19 positive was a 29-year-old overseas filipino worker (OFW) from Libertad town this province.
Calingasan said the OFW worked in Saudi Arabia.
He said using this simple tasks would help the people to stay away from the dangers of the deadly coronavirus disease. In fact, 80 percent ang chance nga mas safe kita kung nagasunod kita niini nga basic protocols," he said.
Meanwhile, The IATF of Libertad, Misamis Oriental said on its post on Facebook that on June 6, 2020, they have one Person Under Investigation (PUI-Suspect) that they get from Languindingan International Airport and he was immediately brought to the Libertad isolation facility.
During examination, he was found out having cough and sore throat which are symptoms of covid-19 on June 11, 2020, and immediately a Rapid Diagnostic Test and RT-PCR via swab test was conducted on that same day.
The IATF Libertad has officially announced that the swab test yielded positive result which also made them to decide to coordinate with DOH and to transfer the patient to the Northerm Mindanao Medical Center for proper medication and care.
It was learned that the patient had six other OFWs who boarded the same plane that landed at the airport in Laguindingan. A contact-tracing is now conducted by health authorities as the patient might have transmitted the disease to others who boarded the plane, or someone might have also transmitted to him the virus, as he was still negative when he was in Manila.
Calingasan said those who boarded the plane are still in quarantine in the towns of Lugait, Villaneuva and Gingoog City. But other passengers of said plane were also from the two Lanal provinces and Misamis Occidental.
The male patient, it was learned, arrived in Manila last May 23 but he undergone a 14-day quarantine upong reaching the aiport in Manila. He was tested there but the result yielded negative.
Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.