Goodbye Cardo...Solons voted to deny Abs Cbn's new franchise

FRONT PAGE
By MDN Digital News Team
July 11, 2020

SHARE

METRO MANILA, Philippines (MDN national news) It would be a very sad and heart-warming goodbyes for the avid fans of Ricardo Dalisay, as the giant TV network Abs Cbn was denied Friday its petition for a  fresh franchise.

In an overwhelming vote of 70 against 11, allies of President Rodrigo Duterte in the Lower House denied the petition of the television network to have another 25 years franchise, affirming its full support of the President.

This, after a total of 12 hearings, wherein the members of the committee on franchises grilled the network's top executives on issues about the president emeritus dual citizenship, biases of the TV network, illegal termination of employees and non-regularization of employees, among other issues.

From the 85 members of the committee, 70 voted to deny abs cbn network, 11 voted to a fresh 25-year franchise and two also decided to inhibit, while another one has abstained.

"The shutdown has deprived more than 69 million Filipinos of the kind of information, analysis and commentary, and public service provided by ABS-CBN News. It has cut off our reach such that two out of three viewers are unable to watch our news programmes," the TV network's news department chief Ging Reyes said.
   
Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano, the president's chosen House Speaker said it was not "press freedom" that's actually at stake but it was a question of the media protecting only its business interests.

Rep Cayetano, Pres Duterte's tandem during the 2016 elections had earlier accused the TV network of alleged 'biased' reporting. But Abs Cbn refuted this allegations of Cayetano, saying they've been doing its best to fair, impartial and professional in its coverages and daily news reporting.

Reyes said at the final hearing that ABS-CBN has been attacked by the president's allies on the network's reporting standards. But Reyes defended the channel's news reporting standards.

But asked by the media to comment on Abs-Cbn closure, the TV network's News Head says she does not believe that it is the end of the road for the network.


 


RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.