front page

Moreno vows to protect NorthMin's regional  hospital overwhelmed from surge of covid cases

August 11, 2020

"WE MUST PROTECT OUR BOAT," SAYS MAYOR MORENO Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Seriña Moreno yesterday vowed to protect Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC), the regional hospital in Northern Mindanao based in Cagayan de Oro City. The mayor said if NMMC is overwhelmed with covid-19 cases coming from Iligan City and other provinces in Northern Mindanao, the national government may takeover and it will be hard for everyone especially the City of Cagayan de Oro.     Rather than risk direct national government intervention similar to what happened in Cebu City, Mayor Oscar Moreno said he will order the City Health Office (CHO) to offer the city’s isolation units and temporary treatment management facility (TTMF) to house COVID-19 patients of Iligan City. During a press briefing on August 10, the mayor said: ‘We don’t want a situation in which the national government will have to send their people to Iligan City similar to what happened in Cebu City and even Zamboanga City. We want to avoid a surge in COVID-19 cases that would overwhelm Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC) and result in a region wide lockdown that would make life harder for the people of Cagayan de Oro.’  Recent updates of covid-19 cases shows Iligan City registered 27 COVID-19 positive cases from Aug. 3 to 9, up from 11 cases last Aug. 2.  The mayor has previously offered the city’s TTMF for use by the mayors of Misamis Oriental’s towns to help house some of their COVID-19 positive patients. In reiterating NMMC’s role as northern Mindanao’s COVID-19 referral hospital, Mayor Moreno said the NMMC’s critical care utilization rate or capacity to handle COVID-19 patients should not be overwhelmed beyond their current level.  "The NMMC is the region’s vessel and all of us are passengers in the same boat trying to reach the (shore of recovery). We must protect our boat," the mayor challenged everyone."

READ MORE
Iligan City imposes ‘quarantine passes’ as COVID-19 cases rise

August 10, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Iligan City Mayor Celso G. Regencia has required “quarantine passes” to limit the movement of residents and non-residents here effective Friday. The national Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) has placed Iligan City, 88 kilometers west of here, under Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ) effective June 1, 2020. In an Executive Order No. 91, series of 2020, Regencia encouraged to limit movements, external to home, unless it is for work or to buy necessities, because of the upsurge of COVID-19 through local transmission. For the past two weeks, the local health officials reported on 12 cases of positive COVID-19 patients who are currently quarantined in the city’s quarantine units. He said that EO No. 91 limits the movement of all residents and non-residents within this city by imposing the use of "Quarantine Passes (without color coding)." “Quarantine Passes” shall be used strictly for purchasing essential goods and services, unless there is a need to leave home due to some indispensable reasons and/or emergencies. Office work or industries are still permitted to operate, but workers and employees must have company identification card readily available when asked at any of the city’s checkpoints. As of August 7, 2020, the Department of Health (DOH) in Northern Mindanao, has reported on 24 COVID-19 positive cases in Iligan City. Of the 24 confirmed positive COVID-19 cases, 13 patients are on a quarantine status, five are still in the hospital, four has recovered while two patients expired.

READ MORE
Police officer nabbed in ‘buy bust,’ jailed in full uniform

August 10, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Police Master Sgt. Mariejo Molina Tejada was jailed, even in full uniform, for allegedly peddling illegal drugs during a “buy bust” in Opol, Misamis Oriental, the police reported Friday. Police operatives reportedly recovered suspected “shabu” (Methamphetamine Hydrochloride), worth P 100,000 in the position of the police officer. Tejada, a member of the Cagayan De Oro City Mobile Force Company, denied the allegation, saying the illegal drugs were reportedly “planted” by the police operatives. COCPO Police Chief Lt. Col. Henry Dampal said that the local police will not tolerate any police officers engaged in illegal activities and encouraged people to report immediately on any police officer engaged in illegal activities. Maj. Ian Borinaga, the station commander of the Opol Police Station, said that the arrest of Tejeda showed the sincerity of the police in carrying its mandated duty to rid the police organization of rogue men in uniform.

READ MORE
Dad cites need to revise Oro tourism devt plan 2020-2025 in line with neo-normal

August 10, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Councilor Ian Mark Nacaya, chair of the City Council committee on planning and development, recommended the revision of the Cagayan de Oro Tourism Development Plan 2020-2025 citing the need to adapt to the neo-normal. During the committee meeting Thursday, Chedilyn Aissa P. Dulguime, acting City Tourism Office, presented the development plan formulated by the city in line  with its vision to be the strategic and prime development hub of the south and in adherence to the National Tourism Act of 2009 (RA 9593). Dulguime said the plan aims to guide existing tourism-related establishments, commit and adhere to the environmental laws for development and assess the performance of the tourism industry of the city, in view of its goal of increasing trade, tourism and investment. “Ang pinaka priority gyud and to answer the question of how much the tourism sector or sub-sector would contribute to the economic development of the city, ang among vision was if, tanan nga projects would be funded and implemented then it would really contribute. We already have white water rafting nga regular na gianhian sa mga tawo, we just need to add more value kay an option to go caving, we have to add value into the visit of people coming in to Cagayan de Oro,” she stressed. Considering that the plan was prepared long before the pandemic hit the city, Nacaya said he finds it to be non-reflective of the government’s effort of identifying the developmental areas of the city in the months or even years to come. “There is a new normal that we have to consider, in fact I am thinking aloud on using the new norm before the COVID, all the community approaches and with that in mind, we tap resources from regional agencies, private individuals and companies that can also boost our eco-tourism in the higher areas of the city where there are untapped resources, maybe we can also proceed and partner with them by way of kita ang dalan, ila ang development,” explained the councilor.    He said the committee will re-convene and another round of discussion will take place once the revised plan is submitted. “May I suggest that in the first few pages, we should throw already the highlight, not only the history, but the perspective of Cagayan de Oro in 2020 to 2025.  Ang mga preliminaries, let’s put that as part of our annexes, kaning first few pages ibutang lang nato sa annexes. Diretso na ta sa perspective para ang reader masabtan gyud nga naa gyuy paingnan ang Cagayan de Oro,” he cited. The proposal to revise the development plan and all other related concerns were noted by the Cagayan de Oro Tourism planning committee. (SP/JAOclarit)

READ MORE
PNP-Tagoloan intensifies drive vs all forms of illegal gambling

August 9, 2020

TAGOLOAN, Misamis Oiental--Police authorities of this town have intensified its campaign against all forms of illegal gambling. Police Captain Mark Allan P. Dungca. chief of Tagoloan Police Station, said 39 video karera machines were destroyed at Tagoloan Dome around 10 on Friday. Dungca, however, said that the dozens of video karera that were destroyed were the result of the unified efforts of policemen in Misamis Oriental against video karera. Aside from video karera, Dungca said that policemen in Tagoloan are also strictly monitoring the presence of illegal cockfighting ang card games. He also said that the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Tagoloan town has also arrested one of the "Top 10" high-value target in illegal drugs. He said that policemen in Tagoloan are also engaged in the implementation of ensurng that the public is treligiously following the minimum health standard set forth by the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) on Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). "I urged local residents to stop engaging in illegal gambling and illegal drugs," said Dungca in an a phone interview. "Instead of spending their money on gambling and illegal drugs why not use your money to buy foods for your family," added Dungca. He also thanked Mayor Gomer Sabio of Tagoloan town for the the strong support he gave to PNP-Tagoloan. Sabio was present at the destruction of 39 video karera machines with Police Brigadier Gen. Rolando Anduyan, Provincial Director of Misamis Oriental Police Provincial Office, accompanied by Police Colonel Robert Roy V. Bahian, Provincial Director of Misamis Oriental Police Provincial Office. Dungca said that the mass destruction of 39 video karera mahines is in line with the directives of the PNP.

READ MORE
Cebu City quarantine protocol violators to be fined P5000  

August 9, 2020

CEBU CITY, Philippines — With the massive rise in covid-19 cases in Cebu City, City councilors in session approved an ordinance penalizing quarantine protocol violators, the City Government reported. Starting August 16, according to the CDN report, a fine of up to P5000 will be imposed to whoever violates City Ordinance No. 2566, passed by the City Council on June 26, 2020. It said that the implementation of the ordinance was long overdue considering that it was passed into law last June 26, 2020.   Councilor David Tumulak, the primary author of the ordinance said "Natanggong siya sa secreteriat mao nadugay siya naimplement. Pero sugod karong Agosto 16, mapenalize na gyod nato ang mga violators sa syudad during the quarantine.” Among the violations considered in the ordinance include going out without a quarantine pass or without authorization, not wearing masks in public, failure to practice social distancing in vehicles and public places, and for failure to uphold these guidelines in owned or operated establishments.    The guidelines will depend on the quarantine status of the city, and if they violate any protocol of that quarantine status, they may be penalized from P1,500 to P5,000 or be jailed up to 30 days.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.